UFC champ Georges St-Pierre's knee surgery deemed a success

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC champ Georges St-Pierre's knee surgery deemed a success
BuffaloDave
12/14/11 9:36:52AM
UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has cleared one hurdle on his comeback trail.

The injured fighter had successful knee surgery on Tuesday in Los Angeles, he recently tweeted.

A torn ACL and damaged meniscus recently forced St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) out of a February UFC 143 title fight with Nick Diaz. Carlos Condit and Diaz now will fight for an interim title while St-Pierre's on the sidelines for six to 10 months.

St-Pierre's surgery was performed by Dr. Neal S. ElAttrache of the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic.

St-Pierre's torn ACL marked the second time St-Pierre had injured his knee in two months. The champ sprained his knee in preparation for a planned UFC 137 title fight with Condit back in October.

LINK
BuffaloDave
12/14/11 9:44:57AM
I'm surprised he didn't have the surgery done by Dr. James Andrews, one of the most reowned sports doctors out there.
DoTheMMAth
12/14/11 9:55:45AM
He only had to resort to surgery because this guy is perma-retired:

Not a GSP fan at all, but glad to hear it was a success. I wonder if these injuries and the thought of possibly being near the end of his career will change his fight style to give in to the boo-birds...
emfleek
12/14/11 9:56:34AM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Not a GSP fan at all, but glad to hear it was a success. I wonder if these injuries and the thought of possibly being near the end of his career will change his fight style to give in to the boo-birds...

If anything, I think it will cause him to play it safe from here on out.

Oh...wait a minute...

kingsmasher
12/14/11 10:44:50AM
I woudlnt call it a success until another four months then you can guage it...Almost every surgery is a success if you want to go by he didnt die on the table...or see any other complications like and alien rapped around a bone...
airkerma
12/14/11 10:56:48AM

Posted by kingsmasher
or see any other complications like and alien rapped around a bone...

Careful there, many documented surgeries have been considered a success but the patient is found dead weeks later due to harboring an alien life. More often than not the surgeon knows this, but fears for his/her life at the hands of alien overlords.
kingsmasher
12/14/11 11:07:36AM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by kingsmasher

Careful there, many documented surgeries have been considered a success but the patient is found dead weeks later due to harboring an alien life. More often than not the surgeon knows this, but fears for his/her life at the hands of alien overlords.

Or I guess a success could also be they didnt accidentally leave some instrument inside teh leg....I have seen that on TV and am blown away that can actually happen...I mean isnt there more than one person there...Cmon Man
bjj1605
12/14/11 1:36:30PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by kingsmasher

One of the strangest tangents I've seen a thread follow....

Anyway....

I'm glad to hear this. I'm a fan of GSP, despite how irritated I get with him fighting safe sometimes. He's one of the nicest guys in the sport, an incredible athlete, a skilled martial artist, and an honorable person.

That said, I'll still be rooting for Diaz (the anti-GSP) to take his belt away.
KungFuMaster
12/14/11 2:13:34PM
Regardless how successful the surgery went, I am sure GSP will have lost a bit of explosiveness in his leg(s) partly due to the injury/surgery and partly due to the mental aspect of not wanting to re-injure it again by putting too much pressure on it. He will definitely not be the same fighter and by that I mean he may fight the same but without the same explosiveness as before.