UFC champ Georges St-Pierre: "I fight safe, and I'm not going to hide it"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC champ Georges St-Pierre: "I fight safe, and I'm not going to hide it"
emfleek
5/26/10 10:17:07AM
LOS ANGELES – Georges St-Pierre is grappling with UFC fans' expectations.

St-Pierre, one of MMA's most popular stars and a six-time UFC welterweight champion, said he's frustrated with the reaction to his most recent victory over Dan Hardy at UFC 111.

But the champion is more than willing to meet head-on the critics who say he plays it safe.

"That's true," St-Pierre (20-2 MMA, 15-2 UFC) told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Monday evening as he honed his mat moves with jiu-jitsu coach Shawn Williams at a Renzo Gracie Academy school in the Mid-Wilshire district. "I fight safe, and I'm not going to hide it."

LINK
Chael_Sonnen
5/26/10 10:24:32AM
I like the way GSP fights...hey, some fights, you just can't finish (Dan Hardy)...it happens from time to time....the best takedown defense and the best wrestling in MMA....I hope he puts a whooping on Kos!
finnish_line
5/26/10 11:07:30AM

I have a feeling he won't be willing to risk finishing Kos either.

Or the next challenger.

Or the next.

Daley he could have submitted no problem (one would think), but that ain't happening now.

In the last 95 minutes of GSP fights we've seen one (corner) stoppage.
jay98107
5/26/10 12:43:19PM

Posted by finnish_line

Or the next challenger.

Or the next.

Daley he could have submitted no problem (one would think), but that ain't happening now.

We've also seen 4 victories in those 95 minutes.
george112
5/26/10 12:46:57PM
yea he utterly dominates. theres nothing boring about the way he does it either like SOME other fighters. i wont mention any names though.we already know who they are
seanfu
5/26/10 12:49:23PM

Posted by jay98107

Posted by finnish_line

Or the next challenger.

Or the next.

We've also seen 4 victories in those 95 minutes.

4 world class victories.
Chael_Sonnen
5/26/10 1:38:34PM
I don't think he is boring to watch at all.....it's just pure domination....I do want to see the rest of his fights be more competitive...I want to see GSP tested like never before!
zephead
5/26/10 3:05:19PM
Standing and banging, where has that gotten Chuck, Arlovski, Big Tim, Cro Cop and now Wandy. Better become a all-around fighter or your days become numbered. Look at Franklin, a better striker comes along, Anderson, and now he's done.
theruler_
5/26/10 3:19:37PM
he doesn't even have the decency to hide it
gsp gives 100% throughout his whole fights which is most important. he has finished his share of guys too, but i think he would like to get another one pretty soon. he'll have to take a few risks at some stage if he wants to maintain his brand.
Canadian-Pain
5/26/10 3:57:31PM
He near ripped Hardy's arm off, i am suprised that to his Credit Hardy didn't tap

Fight to win, if you want "sports entertainment" there is another channel for that
icantthinkofanything
5/26/10 4:33:28PM
I consider MMA a sport and in a sport one fights to win. MMA fans are spoiled compared to other sports because MMA can be so exciting, and finish quickly. GSP has shown the ability to finish fights, and fans get used to that. If I were GSP I would fight the same way, but as a fan I would like to see his well rounded skills win him fights instead. GSP can ko guys with the reg and switch kick, has knock down power in hands, and his submissions were always good. He doesnt need to play it safe imo, he is so much better than any one in the ww division. Hopefully boxing with Freddie will make him wanna stand more.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/26/10 4:37:05PM
I have no problem with this statement whatsoever. GSP will be able to fight a lot longer than those fighters who stand and bang with people.He's always working to finish but he's not gonna get flashy in there like other people. He may have went to decision with Fitch but that was one brutal display of striking. GSP can do whatever he wants if someone doesn't like it, beat him and change the way a champ does things.
cmill21
5/26/10 5:11:23PM
I have no problem with any of this. However I will not watch gsp fight, I can almost garentee how the next GSP fight will end...UD for him, the other guy will look out classed but it will be on the mat for the majority of the time with GSP on top not improving position.
RyanC
5/26/10 5:25:45PM
I don't blame him for fighting the way he does. He wins, and he typically dominates the entire fight. That said I don't enjoy watching him fight very much. It's not interesting/entertaining to watch someone get their doors blown off for 5 rounds.

I don't like one sided victories in any sport, and that includes victories by my hometown/favorite teams. If the Minnesota Twins are up 10-0 in the 4th inning I'm going to go do something else. If the Vikings are up 28-3 in the 2nd Quarter I'm probably going to see what other game is on or just quit watching.

I guess all I really want is a more competitive fight. If his fights were more competitive I wouldn't find them so uninteresting. It's gotten to the point where I already know, and most people here already know exactly how the fight is going to go before it even happens.

I think Kos is an interesting matchup because of his wrestling ability, but if he dominates Kos I may never watch another GSP fight ever again.
punkgrl-com
5/26/10 7:29:10PM
I think like most educated fans I've got no problem if GSP wants to do his thing and get the win in his usual safe style, it's entirely up to him and I'm sure he'll have a much longer career because of it however I'm in the UK and I'd never stay up til 5 or 6am to watch a GSP fight and if I was in the US I certainly wouldn't buy a PPV he was headlining.

Dan Hardy went 5 rounds with GSP, got entirely dominated but left the cage without a scratch on him. Like Hardy himself said GSP is a great athlete, not a great fighter.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/26/10 7:59:30PM
I think GSP is a tremendous fighter. Dan Hardy looked completely ineffective against GSP. The better fighter will, inevitably, fight smarter. Dan Hardy says he's a great athlete, not a great fighter, well, he got dominated. So...what does he have to say about his evolution as a fighter? I'd always love to hear what these fighters would say if they swung that door of judgment back on themselves.
seanfu
5/26/10 10:59:01PM

Posted by cmill21

I have no problem with any of this. However I will not watch gsp fight, I can almost garentee how the next GSP fight will end...UD for him, the other guy will look out classed but it will be on the mat for the majority of the time with GSP on top not improving position.

Are you kidding? the improving position that he does is what takes so long for action to happen.
sbulldavid
5/26/10 11:34:59PM
It's nothing we didn't know. I appreciate his skills, but I don't really look forward to his fights. He won't be appreciated until after he retires, or after he starts losing. I think that is the appeal of guys like Couture, Wandy, Vitor, they've been to the top and they've felt the struggles of losing streaks. I think Machida will become a huge draw now that he's been defeated, nobody really wants to see an unbeatable fighter.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/26/10 11:54:59PM
I had no problems watching Machida remain undefeated.
Aether
5/27/10 1:09:16AM
props to him for his honesty. Most guys would just say they try their best to finish every fight and you don't know what can happen in the cage (anderson et al.) It's his decision how he wants to fight, he's the one putting himself in harm's way. I find him kind of boring personally, I think he could stand to try harder for the finish once he gets guys down where he's completely dominant. He tends to pepper them and wear them down over 5 rounds instead of posturing and trying to get a KO.
bjj1605
5/27/10 1:22:04PM

Posted by cmill21

He absolutely advances position. And he throws a lot of strikes from the top. And he attempts submissions.

I don't understand the rationale behind not liking a GSP fight. This is MMA. Go watch boxing if you don't like it.
RyanC
5/27/10 1:36:04PM

Posted by bjj1605
I don't understand the rationale behind not liking a GSP fight. This is MMA. Go watch boxing if you don't like it.

You don't really have to understand the rationale. If you like to watch him fight that's fine. It's also totally fine if people don't really like to watch him fight.

Just because you don't enjoy watching GSP doesn't mean you don't like MMA, or you should have to go find a new sport to watch.

Jackelope
5/27/10 1:44:56PM

Posted by RyanC

Posted by bjj1605

You don't really have to understand the rationale. If you like to watch him fight that's fine. It's also totally fine if people don't really like to watch him fight.

Just because you don't enjoy watching GSP doesn't mean you don't like MMA, or you should have to go find a new sport to watch.

BlueSkiesBurn
5/27/10 4:12:19PM
I don't like watch Anderson fight but that doesn't mean I'm gonna stop watching MMA. I agree with Jackelope.
mrsmiley
5/27/10 4:21:00PM
GSP dominates guys with his wrestling.
He doesn't always finish fights,true,but remember the first fight with Kos?
Kos looked completely violated the whole time. It was pure genius!
zephead
5/27/10 4:48:31PM
He finishes 65% of his fights. He has 8 (T)KO's and 5 submissions. Guys that he has gone the distance with are tough MoFo's. He had Hardy twice in a submission but Hardy didn't tap. I think most fighters would. He completely destroyed Alves and Fitch. Had their faces looking like hamburger meat. What else was he suppose to do? He tried to KO them. Tough, tough dudes. Just like the Mayhem Miller fight. He took it to Jason, it's just Jason is tough and crazy. Sometimes you have to just tip your hat to the other dude and say he's a tough guy.

He fights safe in the sense he isn't going to just sit and bang and hope for the best. That is plain stupid. Get punch drunk to satisfy the fans but have your earning potential cut short. Jens Pulver loves putting on a show for the fans but you hit him with a glancing blow now and his legs get all loosey-goosey. Chucks standing and banging has caught up to him. He stood and banged with Matt, got caught and lost his belt. If the opening is there he will take it, but he fights very smart now.

Alves was known as a striker and GSP destroyed him on the feet. Josh is known as a wrestler and GSP threw him around the cage. GSP is doing it right, wait for the opening and then take it. Don't force anything.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/27/10 5:00:15PM

He finishes 65% of his fights. He has 8 (T)KO's and 5 submissions. Guys that he has gone the distance with are tough MoFo's. He had Hardy twice in a submission but Hardy didn't tap. I think most fighters would. He completely destroyed Alves and Fitch. Had their faces looking like hamburger meat. What else was he suppose to do? He tried to KO them. Tough, tough dudes. Just like the Mayhem Miller fight. He took it to Jason, it's just Jason is tough and crazy. Sometimes you have to just tip your hat to the other dude and say he's a tough guy. He fights safe in the sense he isn't going to just sit and bang and hope for the best. That is plain stupid. Get punch drunk to satisfy the fans but have your earning potential cut short. Jens Pulver loves putting on a show for the fans but you hit him with a glancing blow now and his legs get all loosey-goosey. Chucks standing and banging has caught up to him. He stood and banged with Matt, got caught and lost his belt. If the opening is there he will take it, but he fights very smart now. Alves was known as a striker and GSP destroyed him on the feet. Josh is known as a wrestler and GSP threw him around the cage. GSP is doing it right, wait for the opening and then take it. Don't force anything.