Champ Edgar seeks definitive UFC 136 win, ready to put Maynard rivalry behind

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Champ Edgar seeks definitive UFC 136 win, ready to put Maynard rivalry behind
Budgellism
10/6/11 11:27:19PM
When Saturday night's UFC 136 event hits Houston's Toyota Center, it will have been three-and-a-half years since UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar (13-1-1 MMA, 8-1-1 UFC) and his nemesis, Gray Maynard (10-0-1 MMA, 8-0-1 UFC), first locked horns.

In other words, a little too long thinking about one man, according to Edgar.

"I'm sick of talking about how sick I am of talking about him," Edgar told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I have a loss to him and a draw to him. I want something definitive. I want a definitive win."

The pair's history began innocently enough. Just budding prospects with only 12 fights between them at the time, the two met in April 2008 at "UFC Fight Night 13: Florian vs. Lauzon." Maynard outmuscled Edgar en route to a unanimous-decision win, and the lightweight division simply rolled on, ostensibly taking little notice of the result.

LINK
Styles
10/7/11 1:51:05AM
Ok so if Edgar wins then their record will be 1-1-1, which in terms will give UFC the marketability to a 4th fight? If Edgar does win this fight, that will mean these fighters only loss and only draw will be to each other. I mean it makes a good story line and all but I see this "rivalry" being far from over.
airkerma
10/7/11 11:10:18AM
Edgar UD no doubt in my mind.
KungFuMaster
10/7/11 11:14:55AM

Posted by Styles

Ok so if Edgar wins then their record will be 1-1-1, which in terms will give UFC the marketability to a 4th fight? If Edgar does win this fight, that will mean these fighters only loss and only draw will be to each other. I mean it makes a good story line and all but I see this "rivalry" being far from over.

I don't believe anyone wants to see a fourth match between Edgar and Maynard. This coming up fight should be the defining moment between the two.
MaxOne
10/7/11 3:06:17PM
If Edgar wins I would totally be interested in a fourth fight....down the line though. Edgar would be the champ and Gray would need to win some fights and work his way back up.
Theoutlaw08
10/7/11 4:42:11PM
I dont think the UFC would do another rematch, because alot of people would be pissed.
Including me.....
Budgellism
10/7/11 6:36:30PM
Edgar/Maynard IV could make perfect sense depending on how this fight goes down tomorrow. I wouldn't want to see it for at least 2-3 years but both guys are very young and are at the top of their division. It' foolish to think there isn't a possibility of this happening again.