champ vs. champ

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » champ vs. champ
RhythmAndStyle
1/3/09 2:52:46PM
now that Shinya Aoki is the WAMMA LW champ..he has called out B.J. Penn..sayin that he reaspect the UFC LW champ..and that he think B.J. is the #1 LW fighter out there..he also says that he doesn't want to go to UFC..but just wants to fight B.J..i think that if he and B.J. has a match..it's just my thought..but i think Shinya would win..B.J. really flexable..but so is Shinya..i also notice B.J. runs out of gas alot when he attemps submissions..since it takes alot to proform and pull off an submission..the match against Hughes after his submission attemp..B.J. had nothin left..durnin the first GSP match..after it went to the ground..B.J. couldn't do anythin more..alot of people say B.J. has crazy b.j.j. skills..but to me Shinya has shown me unbelievable b.j.j. skills..also B.J. never really show em' since he has great strikin..i think if Shinya catches Penn in a submission attemp it would be over for Penn..
p.s. here's the link http://sherdog.com/news/articles/post-dynamite-notebook-aoki-wants-bout-with-bj-penn-15657
postman
1/3/09 2:59:45PM
Shinya would have a hell of a time subbing BJ and I don't think he would be able to take it to the ground. BJ would box his head off. IMO.
RhythmAndStyle
1/3/09 3:05:12PM

Posted by postman

Shinya would have a hell of a time subbing BJ and I don't think he would be able to take it to the ground. BJ would box his head off. IMO.

thats funny..people said the same thing when Shinya was gonna fight Alvarez..and look at what happened...
postman
1/3/09 3:10:19PM
BJ far better then Alvarez. Don't get me wrong I love watching Shinya fight but this new BJ Penn is the real deal. Don't for get what Hansen did to Aoki.
Franklinfan47
1/3/09 3:25:35PM

Posted by postman

BJ far better then Alvarez. Don't get me wrong I love watching Shinya fight but this new BJ Penn is the real deal. Don't for get what Hansen did to Aoki.

I agree. Penn would smash Aoki imo. Personally, my pants get tighter when I think about the awesome jj that would take place in this fight though. Could you imagine? Arguabely two of the best jj fighters in the sport today.
postman
1/3/09 3:28:19PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by postman

I agree. Penn would smash Aoki imo. Personally, my pants get tighter when I think about the awesome jj that would take place in this fight though. Could you imagine? Arguabely two of the best jj fighters in the sport today.

I don't see BJ going to the ground he is so much better on the feet other then to test himself there would be no reason to hit the mat
Franklinfan47
1/3/09 3:57:49PM

Posted by postman

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by postman

I don't see BJ going to the ground he is so much better on the feet other then to test himself there would be no reason to hit the mat

Agreed, which is why I said BJ would SMASH Aoki. I simply meant in the hypothetical sense, a jj match between them would be awesome.
Twenty20Dollars
1/3/09 4:12:14PM
Yeah BJ has really improved since his other fights in which he gassed.

He has focused on striking and conditioning. So I think Bj would be favored to win.
postman
1/3/09 4:43:42PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by postman

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by postman

Agreed, which is why I said BJ would SMASH Aoki. I simply meant in the hypothetical sense, a jj match between them would be awesome.

Oh yeah it would be great!
jiujitsufreak74
1/3/09 5:19:50PM
people don't realize that the Hansen fight happened after Aoki went through a War with Caol Uno on the same night. Hansen had an easy win against a lesser opponent that did not wear him out at all. also remember what Aoki did to Hansen the first time they fought. Aoki wasn't supposed to be able to take down JZ either...look what happened there. Aoki wasn't supposed to be able to survive against the powerful stand-up of Alvarez...look what happened there. all i am saying is to never count Aoki out of a fight, you just can't afford to do that.
seanfu
1/3/09 5:46:59PM
BJ would rape Aoki in a cage. In a ring though it would be far closer.
RhythmAndStyle
1/5/09 10:16:51AM
all this talk bout B.J. smashin Aoki is unbelievable..Aoki knows he wouldn't stand wit B.J..so he'll do to B.J. what he did to Eddie..lure him into the ground..or find a way to take him down..and if Aoki gets a hold of you..you better have your defense up and ready to defend and counter..cuz he's gonna make you tap..don't EVER count out Aoki...
cowcatcher
1/5/09 10:27:26AM
what i like to look at in these "dream" matches is how can each guy finish the fight. we all know bj can KO aoki, and that if aoki cant KO bj(well he could but the odds are about as good as me waking up next to alyssa milano tomorrow). could aoki sub bj is the big question, and i dont think he can, bj is just so slick on the ground and flexible that it just doesnt seem likely, plus hes never been subbed, but then again hes never fought anyone like aoki. a decision could go either way, but i dont see aoki being on top enough to get a decision, sure he could get one from the bottom with an active guard, but lets face it the guy on top gets 99% of the fights that go to the cards. so as much as i love aoki, and as great as he is, i just dont see how he would win this.
jiujitsufreak74
1/5/09 2:21:45PM

Posted by cowcatcher

what i like to look at in these "dream" matches is how can each guy finish the fight. we all know bj can KO aoki, and that if aoki cant KO bj(well he could but the odds are about as good as me waking up next to alyssa milano tomorrow). could aoki sub bj is the big question, and i dont think he can, bj is just so slick on the ground and flexible that it just doesnt seem likely, plus hes never been subbed, but then again hes never fought anyone like aoki. a decision could go either way, but i dont see aoki being on top enough to get a decision, sure he could get one from the bottom with an active guard, but lets face it the guy on top gets 99% of the fights that go to the cards. so as much as i love aoki, and as great as he is, i just dont see how he would win this.

all i am going to say is Frank Mir wasn't supposed to KO Big Nog either

but seriously, i do believe Aoki has the ability to submit BJ, his JJ hasn't been tested in MMA and people are starting to blow BJ's JJ out of proportion a bit. i am not saying he isn't great on the ground, but rather just that he isn't invincible.
cowcatcher
1/5/09 2:47:31PM
well all i have to say is i wish i had used the milano analogy the night of the mir/nog fight
RhythmAndStyle
1/5/09 9:21:59PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

all i am going to say is Frank Mir wasn't supposed to KO Big Nog either

but seriously, i do believe Aoki has the ability to submit BJ, his JJ hasn't been tested in MMA and people are starting to blow BJ's JJ out of proportion a bit. i am not saying he isn't great on the ground, but rather just that he isn't invincible.

there has not been alot of guys who Aoki hasn't submitted..to me i put Aoki jj skills at a level of Big Nog,Jacare and maybe D. Maia..that mayb hard for some people to take..but that's the truth..and i'll say it again..i think if Aoki gets a hold of BJ..most likly he's gonna tap..if not BJ probably gonna pound him..but Aoki has a high chance of submittin BJ...
StriderXero
1/5/09 10:25:05PM
IMO Penn would win hands down. If Aoki has better jiujitsu than BJ, then I think BJ would probably more than likely know by now. BJ isn't a dumb fighter. I sort of see this fight going like the Hendo vs Palhares. BJ is going to be moving in and out, he'll jump on him if he sees Aoki is hurt. He might even get comfortable just like the Okami/ Lister fight, later on in the fight. There's no denying that Aoki can quickly catch BJ in a sub, but BJ's too good for Aoki to beat IMO.

IMO Aoki is truly one of the last great one dimensional fighters of this generation.

If this fight does happen, it would be a joy to watch. Anything can happen in MMA these days.