UFC champ St-Pierre anticipates November return, prefers to fight Diaz

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC champ St-Pierre anticipates November return, prefers to fight Diaz
sparky
1/17/12 9:50:03AM
Following knee surgery for a torn ACL and damaged meniscus, UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre currently is planning for a November return to the cage.

St-Pierre laid out the plans on Monday's new edition of "Inside MMA" on HDNet.

And upon his return, St-Pierre said he'd rather fight Nick Diaz than his upcoming UFC 143 opponent, Carlos Condit.

"Hard training will be in July, and fighting again – the timing to get back – I would say beginning of November," he said. "Late October or the beginning of November, that'd be great."

St-Pierre, of course, was supposed to fight Diaz at UFC 137 in October, but a knee injury forced the champ off the card. Diaz instead fought and easily defeated B.J. Penn to earn a UFC 143 title fight with St-Pierre. But when the champ re-injured his knee and was forced to undergo surgery this past month, the February UFC 143 slot went to Condit, who now fights Diaz for an interim belt.

Link
jakewalters
1/17/12 1:13:57PM
Am I being impatient here or is GSP taking an unusually long amount of time to rehab from this injury. He said he hopes to be back training hard by July, which is six months from now and to fight in November. Does it really take five months of training to prep for a fight?

I understand the wait til July is probably just a precaution to ensure he doesn't reinjure his knee, but once again GSP will have an extended layoff between fights. I'm starting to grow curious on how his ring rust will effect him. His last fight was April 2011, which would mean a November 2012 fight would be the end of a 19-month layoff. Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit will probably fight eachother and each have another match after that between now and then.

Kind of a crazy fact that Jon Jones fought more (4 fights) in 2011 than GSP (1) and Anderson Silva (2) combined.
cowcatcher
1/17/12 1:18:13PM

Posted by jakewalters

Am I being impatient here or is GSP taking an unusually long amount of time to rehab from this injury. He said he hopes to be back training hard by July, which is six months from now and to fight in November. Does it really take five months of training to prep for a fight?

I understand the wait til July is probably just a precaution to ensure he doesn't reinjure his knee, but once again GSP will have an extended layoff between fights. I'm starting to grow curious on how his ring rust will effect him. His last fight was April 2011, which would mean a November 2012 fight would be the end of a 19-month layoff. Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit will probably fight eachother and each have another match after that between now and then.

Kind of a crazy fact that Jon Jones fought more (4 fights) in 2011 than GSP (1) and Anderson Silva (2) combined.

Having had multiple ACL/MCL replacements I can say that it does take that long, in fact it takes longer for normal humans. They say that after a year you should be able to so all the things you did before, i.e. you'll be at 100%. Knee injuries are no joke, and a lot of the time people aren't ever the same after. I'm really interested to see how GSP looks his first time back out there.
Kpro
1/17/12 1:23:05PM

Said by Georges St. Pierre

"Hard training will be in July, and fighting again – the timing to get back – I would say beginning of November,"

"Late October or the beginning of November, that'd be great."

Posted by jakewalters

Am I being impatient here or is GSP taking an unusually long amount of time to rehab from this injury. He said he hopes to be back training hard by July, which is six months from now and to fight in November.

I'm not seeing where he specifies 2012. I think he'll begin training in July 2013 and hopefully make it back before 2014.
jakewalters
1/17/12 1:40:42PM

Posted by Kpro

Said by Georges St. Pierre

"Hard training will be in July, and fighting again – the timing to get back – I would say beginning of November,"

"Late October or the beginning of November, that'd be great."

Posted by jakewalters

Am I being impatient here or is GSP taking an unusually long amount of time to rehab from this injury. He said he hopes to be back training hard by July, which is six months from now and to fight in November.

I'm not seeing where he specifies 2012. I think he'll begin training in July 2013 and hopefully make it back before 2014.

Last night on Inside MMA, GSP told Bas and Kenny that he'd be back to "hard training'" this July and wants a fight "late October, early November" of this year as well. Also said although he likes Condit more he's rooting for Diaz because that's the guy he wants to fight.

Sorry, should have mentioned this info with my OP.
Kpro
1/17/12 2:53:51PM

Posted by jakewalters

Posted by Kpro

Last night on Inside MMA, GSP told Bas and Kenny that he'd be back to "hard training'" this July and wants a fight "late October, early November" of this year as well.

Budgellism
1/17/12 9:26:44PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by jakewalters

Posted by Kpro

Last night on Inside MMA, GSP told Bas and Kenny that he'd be back to "hard training'" this July and wants a fight "late October, early November" of this year as well.

Lol, spend a little while reading Kpro's posts. You'll never make this mistake again.
jakewalters
1/17/12 11:57:07PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Kpro

Posted by jakewalters

Posted by Kpro

Lol, spend a little while reading Kpro's posts. You'll never make this mistake again.

??

(Edit: nvm, the picture just wasn't loading. Verrrry funny lol)
Cooler
1/18/12 10:49:36PM
Ugh, I'm gettin sick of GSP, first he thinks Diaz isnt that good now he prefers to fight him because he got called out. I am overlooking Condit but I can't wait for GSP vs Diaz. It's inevitable imo.
DancingDoll
1/22/12 12:04:33AM
They are pushing to have him ready to fight earlier than November. Even if his rehabbing is going better than expected I think this could be a mistake to rush things. Re-injuries always take longer to heal. He needs to take his time, and when he's ready, he's ready. I've dealt with chronic knee injuries myself and they are intense recovery time.

MMASouthAfrica
1/22/12 4:31:27AM
With such a long period of time to go, dont think we can begin to talk competitors though. Diaz has a long road ahead of him!