UFC Challenging Strikeforce Serra vs Swick

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » UFC Challenging Strikeforce Serra vs Swick
komodo20
3/5/10 10:11:34AM
UFC President Dana White today confirmed to The Wrestling Observer that the UFC will go head-to-head with Strikeforce’s recently-announced April 17 card on CBS with an event that is expected to air on Spike TV.

Headlining matchups are in the works for the event, likely to be dubbed UFC Fight Night 22, with former welterweight champion Matt Serra and Mike Swick reportedly in talks to meet in the card’s co-main event.

Strikeforce is believed to have the option to shift its event, headlined by Jake Shields vs. Dan Henderson, to April 24 to avoid a showdown with the UFC, but the move would put it opposite “WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber,” the pay-per-view debut for UFC sister promotion World Extreme Cagefighting featuring featherweight champ Jose Aldo vs. Urijah Faber.

Counter-programming is not new territory for the world’s top promotion, who staged a hastily booked UFC Fight Night 14 card, headlined by Anderson Silva’s light heavyweight debut vs. James Irvin, opposite Affliction’s pay-per-view debut in July 2008. The UFC also previously aired UFC 100 on Spike in August opposite Strikeforce’s “Carano vs. Cyborg” and debuted several pay-per-view main events on Spike against Strikeforce’s November debut on CBS.

http://mmafrenzy.com/13457/ufc-challenging-strikeforce-on-april-17-serra-swick-possible-to-co-headline-spike-event/
Boo_Radley21
3/5/10 3:33:18PM
Strikeforce would lose, like everyone else who goes head to head with a UFC event. I'd say they'd do better against WEC.
jae_1833
3/5/10 3:38:51PM
And mods if this is true it needs to get added to the picks....how are they going to make another event so quickly is beyond me, but then again I don't have the powers that Joe Silva does!

"In Joe we trust!"
emfleek
3/5/10 3:43:14PM
Serra/Swick...interesting fight.

I'll actually probably end up rooting for Serra, which is going to kill me.
karn501
3/5/10 4:13:14PM
I don't think the ufc could give me a free event I would watch over hendo shields and IMO serra vs swick is not the right direction to go to do it
emfleek
3/5/10 4:21:04PM

Posted by karn501

I don't think the ufc could give me a free event I would watch over hendo shields and IMO serra vs swick is not the right direction to go to do it

Tell that to "Ultimate Fighting" Guy who has no clue who Dan Henderson is.

UFC will win this particular matchup by a landslide.
Pookie
3/5/10 4:55:08PM
Man im not even sure to pick in that match-up. They both seem like theyre going to lose.
haggiswashere
3/5/10 6:02:03PM

Posted by emfleek

Serra/Swick...interesting fight.

I'll actually probably end up rooting for Serra, which is going to kill me.

haha my exact thoughts
hate4thestate
3/5/10 6:06:18PM

Posted by Pookie

Man im not even sure to pick in that match-up. They both seem like theyre going to lose.

no way in hell i am missing mousasi aoki shields for this POS. serra swick is a fight i absolutely do not care about. I really hope strikeforce counter-programs the wec ppv. i want zuffa to taste a little bit of their own medicine. this counter programing bullshit is ******* up the sport i love. you dont see this in any other major sport for the most part. the strikeforce card is to good to miss. zuffa are a bunch of greedy assholes.