What Chael Sonnen REALLY Thinks About Anderson Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » What Chael Sonnen REALLY Thinks About Anderson Silva
Poor_Franklin
9/5/11 2:22:24PM
Despite his recent, well-publicized troubles, which have included being suspended for steriods and receiving a suspended sentence after pleading guilty to money laundering charges, ESPN have seen fit to place him alongside host Jon Anik for the past two weeks running.

Sonnen has seized the moment, almost entirely dispensing with his standard UFC persona in favor of something far more professional, sincere, and, dare we say, truthful?

“The bottom line – Anderson Silva did an awesome job,” Sonnen said in his assessment of ‘The Spider’s’ performance at UFC 134 in Rio last weekend. “He continues with his dominance. He’s such a good striker. And what he’s really good at is keeping guys at range and having guys fight his fight, and he showed it again.”

Jon Anik then tested just how much he could get Sonnen to admit on national TV by asking him if his rival was the best in the business.

“I’m not ready to say he’s the best ever,” Sonnen said before conceding, “but he’s certainly special.”

There were flashes of the “old” Chael though, such as when he was asked who Silva can beat.

“For me personally it comes down to this – if you want the job done right, apparently I’m going to have to go out and do it myself.”

i also enjoyed his analysis of Anderson mocking opponents....

“When he drops his hands and mocks you, that’s when he’s getting ready – that’s his set-up. So you gotta make him restart. Either take a couple steps backwards [and] make him come to you, or charge him, but you’ve gotta reset him. That’s when he’s starting to get his footwork down.”

FightOfTheNight.com
jjeans
9/5/11 2:59:16PM
I agree with Sonnen in that he is special, I'm glad deep down he can admit it, and in truth nobody has better wrestling in the division so he is the only man who can do what he did. Should Sonnen work on his Sub D he could very well be the man to take the title.
For his sake lets hope deep down he knows and thinks like that too and learns some BJJ.

Sonnen and my respect for him has started to rise.
Aether
9/5/11 3:50:27PM
there is a snowball fight happening in hell right now.
Chael_Sonnen
9/5/11 3:53:08PM
Chael has always given praise to his opponents, it's just that certain peeps can't decipher between his just praise and his comic mockery.

Thing is, Rampage spews garbage from his mouth and he is labeled "funny."
prophecy033
9/5/11 3:55:26PM
When Silva starts putting his hands down, it almost as if hes playing a game of slapbox. He's quicker so he always wins.
bjj1605
9/5/11 11:31:34PM
Anderson is so amazing he can even break through Chael's delusions.
tn_rebel
9/6/11 12:38:48PM
Sonnen says what he says to hype fights and make himself relevant. Its not that he can't recognize talent.
emfleek
9/6/11 1:00:04PM
Wait, you mean Chael doesn't really mean everything he says?

ghandikush
9/6/11 1:30:43PM

Posted by jjeans

I agree with Sonnen in that he is special, I'm glad deep down he can admit it, and in truth nobody has better wrestling in the division so he is the only man who can do what he did. Should Sonnen work on his Sub D he could very well be the man to take the title.
For his sake lets hope deep down he knows and thinks like that too and learns some BJJ.

Sonnen and my respect for him has started to rise.

Sonnen was TRTing against both Okami and Marquardt, I think Okami has the better wrestling. It confuses me why he chose not to use it at all.