Chael Sonnen’s Team Requesting Rematch “There’s Enough Doubt With All The Fouls To Warrant A Rematch.”

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Chael Sonnen’s Team Requesting Rematch “There’s Enough Doubt With All The Fouls To Warrant A Rematch.”
Next Page »
lohmann
7/9/12 7:21:40PM
Chael Sonnen’s coach Scott McQuarry got in contact with the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC). He discussed the knee that Silva threw while Sonnen was down against the cage and stated that it was thrown with bad intentions and did hit the face of Sonnen.

“We started the process of filing a complaint with the Nevada Athletic Commission. We believe the knee that Anderson Silva threw was illegal with the clear intent to strike the face. And it did in fact connect with the face. Chael bit his tongue and needed eight stitches.”

However Nevada Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer informed him the complaint would almost certainly not result in the fight being declared a no contest.

This forced McQuarry to take a different route and now plans to ask the fans and UFC president Dana White for a rematch.

“What I’m going to do is change my tactic,”

“We’re going to ask for a rematch. We deserve a rematch. If the only way Anderson Silva can win is by cheating, we need to keep a closer eye on Silva before and during a fight. And we need a rematch now. Legal knee or illegal knee, there’s enough doubt with all the fouls to warrant a rematch.”

source
jlock003
7/9/12 7:31:38PM
I'm shocked at how gracious Sonnen has been in defeat and how defensive all the people around him are being. He's clearly still the number 2 guy just based on the two fights they've had, and he'll get another shot after a few more wins IMO. Hell Rich Franklin's name has been brought up recently about another title shot and he got murdered in both fights. Chael will bounce back but all the whining will just end up putting people off. Chael handled it better than any of the people around him.

Wow I guess I should have read the story about the appeal before I read this one.
SpiderSilva
7/9/12 7:39:43PM
1. Did the vaseline stop Sonnen from taking silva down and working his gameplan? NO

2. Where did the holding on to the trunks effect the fight? The ref would have done something if there was a turn of events because of the holding.

3. The knee. Sonnen stood back up after taking the knee to the chest and could have tried for another takedown but chose the fetal position instead.

4.This is team Sonnen's last resort to get another shot at Silva. Good luck with that
SpiderSilva
7/9/12 7:41:27PM

Posted by jlock003

I'm shocked at how gracious Sonnen has been in defeat and how defensive all the people around him are being. He's clearly still the number 2 guy just based on the two fights they've had, and he'll get another shot after a few more wins IMO. Hell Rich Franklin's name has been brought up recently about another title shot and he got murdered in both fights. Chael will bounce back but all the whining will just end up putting people off. Chael handled it better than any of the people around him.

Wow I guess I should have read the story about the appeal before I read this one.

It's taken Franklin 5+ years to even get a mention.
isk
7/9/12 7:52:12PM
It's over. The first fight showed Chael was either unusually good or Anderson was unusually bad. And that's not to knock Chael's performance at all - he was brilliant for 4 and a half rounds - but the rematch sealed any real doubts I had.

For Chael to win, I think he'd have to be perfect for 25 minutes. While I saw the spinning backfist as kind of a fluke move from him, I think Anderson is too good to not find another opening and too motivated against Chael to be outwrestled for longer than a round.
Adrenaline
7/9/12 8:00:58PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

2. Where did the holding on to the trunks effect the fight? The ref would have done something if there was a turn of events because of the holding.

Come on SpiderSilva you know better than that on this . I'm not saying it had any significant role in the outcome of the fight, we will never know but what I do know is that you are smart enough to see where the issue lies with this statement.

2: Holding the shorts did/ could have done multiple things. Gripping the shorts prevented Sonnen from dropping low for a takedown. It's alot harder get low when someone is holding you up by your shorts.

The picture that was posted of the grabbing in question shows that Silva is clearly hindering Sonnens ability to move away from Anderson. Silva basically used it to hold him in position for strikes. I can't remember for sure but I think he landed a shot that hurt Sonnen while holding his shorts. Don't quote me on that because I was too busy losing my shit over such an epic fight but its obvious there is a problem when one guy his holding another guys shorts in order to land punches that might have otherwise been avoided.

Again, we will never know how much it messed with Sonnen, or if it would have changed anything but you can't just brush it aside like it is nothing.

Wolfenstein
7/9/12 8:10:59PM

Posted by Adrenaline

Posted by SpiderSilva

Come on SpiderSilva you know better than that on this . I'm not saying it had any significant role in the outcome of the fight, we will never know but what I do know is that you are smart enough to see where the issue lies with this statement.

2: Holding the shorts did/ could have done multiple things. Gripping the shorts prevented Sonnen from dropping low for a takedown. It's alot harder get low when someone is holding you up by your shorts.

The picture that was posted of the grabbing in question shows that Silva is clearly hindering Sonnens ability to move away from Anderson. Silva basically used it to hold him in position for strikes. I can't remember for sure but I think he landed a shot that hurt Sonnen while holding his shorts. Don't quote me on that because I was too busy losing my shit over such an epic fight but its obvious there is a problem when one guy his holding another guys shorts in order to land punches that might have otherwise been avoided.

Again, we will never know how much it messed with Sonnen, or if it would have changed anything but you can't just brush it aside like it is nothing.

“Anderson grabbed my trunks but I grabbed his right back. It goes both ways,” said Sonnen

If even the fighter himself can't convince you it was a non-issue, I don't know what to tell you.
prophecy033
7/9/12 8:15:17PM
This looks desperate to me.
SpiderSilva
7/9/12 8:15:49PM
But anderson didnt land a punch while holding em. That what I'm saing by the pic when the ref slapped his hand off Silva backs up and they both landed a punch but it looked like the punch Silva lands(while not holding the trunks) effected Sonnen and his legs looked wobbly this could also be what leads to Sonnen's brain fart spinning backfist. I still think Sonnen the best guy in mma at takedowns IMO couldn't power threw the holding onto the shorts. I mean Sonnen blasted threw people in the past blasted threw Silva in the 1st fight.
grappler0000
7/9/12 9:01:58PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

“Anderson grabbed my trunks but I grabbed his right back. It goes both ways,” said Sonnen

If even the fighter himself can't convince you it was a non-issue, I don't know what to tell you.

That's not a very convincing argument IMO. There are other reasons for answering that way...it has more to do with being humble in defeat than what actually took place. Chael downplayed everything the media brought up at the presser, but it doesn't mean that's how it all went down. Josh Neer denied having broken ribs after the Wisniewski fight, even though there is footage of him saying it. It doesn't mean that his ribs weren't broken...he just obviously doesn't like talking about injuries, win or lose. You have to look beyond what a fighter says immediately after a fight. There's a lot of politics and scrutiny over what fighters say before and after fights, so I'd say that should probably be taken with a grain of salt.
grappler0000
7/9/12 9:17:15PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

But anderson didnt land a punch while holding em. That what I'm saing by the pic when the ref slapped his hand off Silva backs up and they both landed a punch but it looked like the punch Silva lands(while not holding the trunks) effected Sonnen and his legs looked wobbly this could also be what leads to Sonnen's brain fart spinning backfist. I still think Sonnen the best guy in mma at takedowns IMO couldn't power threw the holding onto the shorts. I mean Sonnen blasted threw people in the past blasted threw Silva in the 1st fight.

That's just not true.

Anderson landed at minimum 3 partial strikes throughout the shorts grabbing. Most people probably don't even realize that he held the shorts for a full 18 seconds. If you watch the tape at the 4:10 mark, Anderson slips his thumb into the waistline just as the ref circles to the other side where it can't be seen. As Chael drops down for a double, Anderson defends by pulling up on the shorts. "At least" one strike is landed on the opposite side from the camera by Anderson, but it's hard to tell how flush it was. Once they move away from the cage, Anderson throws two additional punches that are mostly deflected. He used the shorts grab to manipulate his opponent, keep him in striking range, and defend a takedown.

And for the record, I'm not trying to argue that Chael should've won the fight. I think he loses 9 times out of 10. I do however feel that Anderson went out of his way to fight dirty, whether he needed to or not, and that shouldn't just be glanced over.
Pookie
7/9/12 9:27:59PM
I reference the Bernard Hopkins rule: If a fighter cheats in a manner that the referee can't see, the cheating is fair game.

I loved watching Hopkins fight for just that reason, he was dirty enough that every opponent complained about it, but subtle/crafty enough about how he did it that the ref's almost never caught it.

grappler0000
7/9/12 9:42:09PM

Posted by Pookie

I reference the Bernard Hopkins rule: If a fighter cheats in a manner that the referee can't see, the cheating is fair game.

I loved watching Hopkins fight for just that reason, he was dirty enough that every opponent complained about it, but subtle/crafty enough about how he did it that the ref's almost never caught it.

I thought that was the WWE rule.
Pookie
7/9/12 9:50:42PM
I tried to find a picture of Ricardo Arona sticking his fingers in Sakuraba's cuts. But no avail.
kopower
7/9/12 10:25:58PM
Hmm. Chael said if you're not trying to fight for the title, it's a waste of time. Maybe his camp, or he believes this is the only way for another title shot he'll get soon or ever.
Adrenaline
7/9/12 10:28:34PM
Thanks Grappler000, you replied to both of them better than I could have

I'm not saying the short grabbing is grounds to warrant a rematch, nor am I say they were definately game changers, I'm just saying that you can't ignore them as not being an issue. I don't care about the "grease" but the short grabbing does need to be addressed.
Adrenaline
7/9/12 10:32:16PM

Posted by kopower

Hmm. Chael said if you're not trying to fight for the title, it's a waste of time. Maybe his camp, or he believes this is the only way for another title shot he'll get soon or ever.

You dirty rotten bastard, I had plans to do a shoop of Vikingr's photo.......you were quicker to the draw though.
tallica62
7/9/12 10:46:15PM
stoppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
SpiderSilva
7/9/12 10:56:24PM

I'm done with this subject already. I watched the 2rd 30 times and Sonnen was pwnd.
FastKnockout
7/9/12 11:03:05PM
-Greasing

Not only did the ref wipe it off, but obviously it didn't play a factor since Chael had no issue taking him down and keeping him there in the first round.

-Shorts

Silva grabbed his shorts as Chael was moving away for 5-6 seconds and Chael wasn't attempting any sort of takedown at that time. The shorts wasn't a factor to the ending of the fight. It happens in a lot of fights just as the blows to the back of the head Silva tried to signal to the ref in the first round.

-Knee

The knee landed clean and wasn't the finishing blow. Chael was standing against the fence when Silva rocked him resulting in the finishing ground & pound.

Chael lost the first fight, and now he lost the second. This is the only hope for Chael's team to get Chael back in there with Silva.
kopower
7/9/12 11:32:35PM

Posted by Adrenaline

Posted by kopower

You dirty rotten bastard, I had plans to do a shoop of Vikingr's photo.......you were quicker to the draw though.

There are many variations left. I'll be waiting to see what you come up with
telnights
7/10/12 1:02:04AM
george112
7/10/12 1:43:18AM
It's only a subject because Silva fans are turning a blind eye from the obvious controversy that is surrounding Silvas actions.

He clearly violated the rules. But he's allowed to do so because he's the champ? Because Chael deserved it??

No. Thats bullshit. This wasn't just a fight between 2 noncontenders this was a championship fight where the champion used dirty tactics to gain an advantage

Wolfenstein
7/10/12 1:44:28AM
No offense sir...you can say...well he said it just because he was trying to be respectful or humble...but it's all interpretation of his words. I think he was in there, and he knew that didn't play as big a role as people are making it out to be, Just my opinion.
george112
7/10/12 1:51:36AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

No offense sir...you can say...well he said it just because he was trying to be respectful or humble...but it's all interpretation of his words. I think he was in there, and he knew that didn't play as big a role as people are making it out to be, Just my opinion.

Even if it wasn't a big role. It doesn't bother you in the least that a champion would even try to grease and resort to grabbing shorts??

When I think of a champion I think of someone being honorable, humble, and fair. Anderson wasn't that on Saturday and damn he made me feel ashamed he is a UFC champion
Wolfenstein
7/10/12 2:00:58AM

Posted by george112

Posted by Wolfenstein

Even if it wasn't a big role. It doesn't bother you in the least that a champion would even try to grease and resort to grabbing shorts??

When I think of a champion I think of someone being honorable, humble, and fair. Anderson wasn't that on Saturday and damn he made me feel ashamed he is a UFC champion

People are saying he greased, because he touched his face then his chest...there were NSAC officials feet from him and they didn't feel like he was greased up. Jode Aldo grabbed the fence against Chad Mendes, yet there was barely a word. This just seems like a witchhunt to me.
lohmann
7/10/12 2:34:47AM

Posted by george112

It's only a subject because Silva fans are turning a blind eye from the obvious controversy that is surrounding Silvas actions.

It is the beating of a dead horse. Nothing will come out of what will be weeks of Sonnen fans saying Silva cheated and Silva fans calling Sonnen fans sore losers.

Personally I am not turning a blind eye but I am willfully not engaging the people that dislike the result and will grasp anything just to tear down the fact that Anderson Silva had a referee stop the fight Saturday night and declare him the winner because they have disliked him for years (or, in more rare instances, like Chael Sonnen). Personally, as an Anderson Silva fan, I am not shielding my eyes as much as working from the experience of a fight fan used to other fight fans tending to create something from nothing because they like or dislike a fighter (a la Greasegate). Nobody changes their opinions and quite a number of people use it as fuel to dislike Georges St. Pierre, to this day.

Not every fight fan wants to trap themselves into these debates, especially when the resolution will be no resolution for both sides.
Sir_Karl
7/10/12 2:59:11AM
I'll bring in another factor. Did anyone think the fight was stopped a tad bit too early? I sure did. This was hyped to be the biggest fight in MMA history and the ref dives in after a few punches. In certain situations the refs let a fighter in a non important match get pounded brutally for what seems like an eternity and Sonnen gets hit a few times and it's over. I don't know.
Lucas
7/10/12 4:05:56AM
Turnining a blind eye to greasing makes me laugh he touched his face then his arm and chest you make out he had a tub of vaseline and was rubbing it up and down his legs he did not cheat. Ok he grabbed his shorts but it wasn't to prevent a take down it was completely irrelevant IMO and as usual sonnen fans are clutching at straws.

Sonnen is a bully when he's dominating he looks good the second a fight isn't going his way he crumbles.

The fight was stopped at the right time from a Sonnen point of view because he had clearly given up from and Anderson Silva point of view it was stopped early because he could have really hurt sonnen in that position
jjeans
7/10/12 4:58:56AM
I hate to be the one to say it but I think Sonnen angered Silva up to the point he wanted to hurt him. Rules are Rules, Chael broke enough of them with the TRT the first fight. Second fight Silva broke some but the reality is. It's 25 minutes, if Silva got deducted a point he probably thought well I wasn't going to win a decision anyway so deduct as many points as you like, even in a DQ I still keep my belt.
Pages: [1] 2