Chael Sonnen moves to 205, gets rematch with Forrest Griffin at UFC's year-end show

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Chael Sonnen moves to 205, gets rematch with Forrest Griffin at UFC's year-end show
Next Page »
Budgellism
8/14/12 11:27:11PM
After hinting that he might move up from middleweight to light heavyweight following his loss to Anderson Silva in July, Chael Sonnen has announced the move – and his opponent.

Sonnen will make the climb to 205 pounds and will face former UFC light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin at the promotion's year-end show on Dec. 29 in Las Vegas. Griffin beat Sonnen with a first-round submission nearly nine years ago in a regional promotion. Sonnen made the announcement on Tuesday's edition of "UFC Tonight" on FUEL TV.

The UFC's Dec. 29 show, though not yet announced by the promotion, is likely to be UFC 155. It will be headlined by a heavyweight title fight between champion Junior Dos Santos and former champ Cain Velasquez.

Though a venue for the card is not yet known, it will take place either at the MGM Grand Garden Arena or Mandalay Bay Events Center. The Sonnen-Griffin fight is likely to serve as the pay-per-view's co-main event.

LINK
Twenty20Dollars
8/14/12 11:33:00PM
Bleh.
george112
8/14/12 11:40:10PM
Atleast I get to see griffin run out of the cage again because he's gonna lose this one
Pookie
8/14/12 11:48:36PM
Forrest via Triangle.
jlock003
8/15/12 12:11:56AM

Posted by Pookie

Forrest via Triangle.

I actually watched the first fight after I saw it announced and was shocked that nobody had referenced that fight after the first Silva fight. I realize the switch is a little different, but very similar in the way Chael fought and got caught.
tcunningham
8/15/12 12:14:45AM
i dont see chael getting caught this time. i expect a dominant performance followed by a retirement party for forrest
FastKnockout
8/15/12 1:50:41AM
I don't see the point in this. Does he plan on sticking with 205? If so, does he honestly believe he can beat Jones?

EDIT: Read the article. Guess he does.
prophecy033
8/15/12 1:53:18AM
I see Chael winning this fight. He's a work horse that should be able to get the takedown and stay busy enough to win a UD
meier
8/15/12 2:13:51AM
Chael via gnp round 3
jakewalters
8/15/12 2:50:10AM
Forrest has been uninspired to say the least recently. Sonnen seems to be extremely focused and inspired to get a championship.

I don't see Chael losing this one.
hashyandy4
8/15/12 3:49:38AM

Posted by prophecy033

I see Chael winning this fight. He's a work horse that should be able to get the takedown and stay busy enough to win a UD

Same Here Proph
jjeans
8/15/12 4:00:24AM
I'll take an av bet with Chael_Sonnen if he wants one? My boy vs his
frizzzlecake
8/15/12 4:13:46AM
He better retire wand next.
aussiemma
8/15/12 4:34:33AM
man, chael is going to rip forrest apart in the trash talking, also i don't really have any interest in seeing forrest fight but this match up does interest me.
Adrenaline
8/15/12 6:36:27AM

Posted by aussiemma

man, chael is going to rip forrest apart in the trash talking,

I'm not so sure, Sonnen and Forrest are friends ( I think he states his respect in the article) I would imagine that it will be more like Sonnen/ Stann where he had a lot of respect for his opponent and didn't talk much at all, other than saying he was going to beat him.

This isn't the match up I would make but it kind of makes sense. It's Chael's first trip back to LHW in quite a while and Forrest is a solid test to see where he is at.

SmileR
8/15/12 7:57:00AM

I can't wait for this!!!
Theoutlaw08
8/15/12 8:17:35AM

Posted by tcunningham

i dont see chael getting caught this time. i expect a dominant performance followed by a retirement party for forrest

In the words of Dave Hester.....YUUUUUUUUUP
Bubbles
8/15/12 9:00:39AM
sparky
8/15/12 9:11:08AM

Posted by hashyandy4

Posted by prophecy033

Same Here Proph

As long as Chael stays out of the triangle he should take this one easily
TeamDEY
8/15/12 9:18:55AM
Rather see Sonnen fight someone else...
hymiekooken
8/15/12 11:06:59AM
Would love to see Forrest make Chael tap.......again
Manak
8/15/12 1:01:33PM
wow can't believe everyone is pretty much writing forrest off. i know his last fights have been uninspiring but still. cheal hasn't fought at 205 since 2005 so how he handles the extra weight is a big factor. plus he can't just bullying forrest around, he is one of the biggest if not biggest 205ers. forrest will not be easy to takedown plus he has good cardio. if he has his head on right he could easily take this but that is a big if for forrest these days. not to mention will chael be getting the TRT exemption. weight cutting effects your test levels but now that he his not cutting that much weight will he need. if you don't think thats a big factor than watch chael fight bisping without TRT than any of his fights with TRT, chael is two completely different fighters. i guess if forrest is getting TRT too then it is a void point. chael is also coming off one his biggest losses in his career, being he hyped his match with anderson so much so he may still be a little shaken. this matchup is a lot closer in my eyes and could see it go either way. personally I'm picking chael right now cause i don't think forrest's head is in it anymore but if he shows signs of wanting it again ill prb switch.
Boo_Radley21
8/15/12 2:36:52PM
Gonna be tough to get that title lol, but I'd much rather see Sonnen talk trash to Jones than Silva.
Dberntson
8/15/12 3:57:24PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Gonna be tough to get that title lol, but I'd much rather see Sonnen talk trash to Jones than Silva.

He's already started the trash talk and the two have already been going back and forth at each other. Chael's best jab at Jon Jones so far - "how long did it take your parents to come up with the name Jon Jones".
Bubbles
8/15/12 4:06:30PM

Posted by Manak

wow can't believe everyone is pretty much writing forrest off. i know his last fights have been uninspiring but still. cheal hasn't fought at 205 since 2005 so how he handles the extra weight is a big factor. plus he can't just bullying forrest around, he is one of the biggest if not biggest 205ers. forrest will not be easy to takedown plus he has good cardio. if he has his head on right he could easily take this but that is a big if for forrest these days. not to mention will chael be getting the TRT exemption. weight cutting effects your test levels but now that he his not cutting that much weight will he need. if you don't think thats a big factor than watch chael fight bisping without TRT than any of his fights with TRT, chael is two completely different fighters. i guess if forrest is getting TRT too then it is a void point. chael is also coming off one his biggest losses in his career, being he hyped his match with anderson so much so he may still be a little shaken. this matchup is a lot closer in my eyes and could see it go either way. personally I'm picking chael right now cause i don't think forrest's head is in it anymore but if he shows signs of wanting it again ill prb switch.

I believe Chael had a TRT exemption for the Bisping fight. Sonnen didn't look good because Bisping has some of the better TDD in the UFC and was able to keep Sonnen out of his element. Compare Maia vs Silva and Maia vs Grove...two completely different fighters right?
Manak
8/15/12 5:03:45PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Manak

I believe Chael had a TRT exemption for the Bisping fight. Sonnen didn't look good because Bisping has some of the better TDD in the UFC and was able to keep Sonnen out of his element. Compare Maia vs Silva and Maia vs Grove...two completely different fighters right?

looked into it and he did use trt for the bisping fight, my initial source is a douche so that point is gone, thanks for pointing that out
Franklinfan47
8/15/12 5:20:39PM

Posted by tcunningham

After his last fight, I cant help but hope
SamPan
8/15/12 6:38:26PM
I think Forrest's the kind of fighter who could make Chael look bad. First of all, he's so big that no one really muscles him around at LHW, which is sort of Chael's game. I think Chael's the better fighter but it usually takes a great striker like Rua or Silva to convincingly beat Forrest
jlock003
8/15/12 8:05:52PM
I'm a little shocked by the idea that Chael will run through Forrest too. I think the biggest downside to Forrest is people seem to remember him looking like a fool against Silva (many men have), getting Ko's by Shogun (he RNC'd him in their first fight), and getting TKO'd by Rashad (top 3 in the division). The fight with Tito was fotn. It's not like it was a lay and pray fest. Forrest got up from a big right hand in the fight, defended against the take downs well, got back up when he was taken down and performed really well. Tito could still compete in the UFC, he simply can't compete against the elite in the organization. I don't understand how a fotn performance gets labeled as uninspired. All that being said everyone talking about Chael not being able to take Forrest down because of his size need to watch the first fight. I said the exact same thing before I watched it, and basically I was just wrong. Chael will take Forrest down and the potential for the take down will definitely put a damper on Forrest throwing those leg kicks that he throws so well. The question will be how different Forrest's sweep game and jits off his back is from the first time around and whether or not Chael has learned to defend a triangle. Chael has the distinguished ability to make any fighter he's facing look boring just because he is so phenomenal at controlling guys when he gets them down. Brian Stann pointed out in preparation for his fight with Chael that the guys who had obtained some success getting back up once Chael got them down had very active butterfly guards and if you've spent any time watching Forrest fight you know that his butterfly guard is on par with just about anybody in the division. I'm excited about the fight. If Chael can get by Forrest I'm sure he'll have a number of guys ready to fight him at 205. Even if the Sonnen/Griffin fight sucks the trash talk between Sonnen and Jones is shaping up to be incredibly entertaining so if nothing else we can all look forward to that.
infestructure
8/15/12 8:45:20PM
Forrest hasn't knocked anyone out since Sinosic, his best chance is keeping it off the ground and cruising to a UD. I think Chael's ground game has improved to the point where he will get Forrest to the ground and keep him there en route to a slumber party UD.
Pages: [1] 2