Chael sonnen : Marketing Guru or Loud Mouth ?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Chael sonnen : Marketing Guru or Loud Mouth ?
POLL: What does the playground think
Dasilva has a point 29% (9)
Dasilva needs to take off his tinfoil hat 10% (3)
chael sonnen is just a loud mouth 23% (7)
chael who ? 16% (5)
23% (7)
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/3/10 12:36:58AM
IMO Chael Sonnen is a lot brighter then many of you percieve . Over the last few months , he has made some pretty outlandish statements ....

When asked about the Fedor/Rogers matchup , Chael responded with " two fat guys , yawwwwwwn "

I dont believe for one minute that Chael actually thinks like that . He watched his training partner get armbared in 2 minutes by Fedor , he knows Fedor is a little more then just a " fat guy " . Chael keeps his name in the media (shortly after his win over Okami) and people keep talking about him . Publicity is still publicity , good or bad .

" Anderson hates the media and pretends not to know english "

Chael knows even if he beats Marquart , he most likely wont get the next shot at Anderson . IMO this was his way of provoking Anderson , his manager and/or the Anderson fans to fire back with their own comments . He's keeps people talking about him , sets up a grudge match and a potentially marketable fight .

" Mark Coleman is a bum "

Chael has a fight coming up in a week , what better way to keep people talking about him then to discredit a legend and a hall of famer. Chael once again plays the heel role to perfection . No doubt at least one person read that and is hoping to get a glimpse of Chael laying motionless on the canvas .

Marketing Guru IMO .

jae_1833
2/3/10 1:30:14AM
It's true that it's publicity, but I still don't like him calling a dude like Coleman a bum.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/3/10 2:37:03PM
maybe chaels best work yet ...

“Look, he’s not my kind of a guy,” Sonnen says. “This is a grown man that’s got earrings. This is a grown man who wears his hat sideways. This is a guy who wears pink T-shirts. This guy wouldn’t make it 12 minutes in my neighborhood. I live in a nice neighborhood and we’d still run him out.”

crushedbacon
2/3/10 10:31:43PM
Yeah its pretty obvious what he's doing, I'm not a huge fan of it though.....here's another slice from today.....

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/2/3/1291776/ufc-109-preview-chael-sonnen-says
CwB
2/4/10 6:05:26PM

Posted by jae_1833

It's true that it's publicity, but I still don't like him calling a dude like Coleman a bum.

how can you argue with proof like this. (thank you MMAMania)
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
jae_1833
2/5/10 12:45:09AM
Caught me off gaurd there.....good one! I never imagined they had photoshopic evidence!!
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/5/10 2:33:10PM
Chael seems to top himself time after time ...

I don’t know if that’s it or not. I don’t know who he’s beaten in the top ten. He beat up a drunk Chris Leben and a one-legged Patrick Cote and every bum that could get a plane ticket to Ohio. He went up to light heavyweight, but how hard is that? It’s the easiest weight class in the company. He beat up some slow and unathletic guys up there. But maybe I’m wrong. Maybe he is that good. If he gets past Vitor [Belfort], and I don’t think he will, I’ll sing a different tune. If he can beat Vitor it will change my opinion of him, but until then, I don’t know. I don’t see who he’s beat that’s so great.

(cagepotato) He beat Nate Marquardt.

I didn’t see that. Did he fight Nate?

(cagepotato) Yeah. Knocked him out.

Oh, I didn’t know that.

(cagepotato) Well, he did. And you respect Nate’s skills, don’t you?

Sure, absolutely. I respect Anderson’s too. I respect all these guys and their skills, don’t get me wrong. I’m just saying let’s slow down on this stuff about Anderson being the greatest fighter ever. There’s someone named Randy Couture that you might want to put your eyes on when you’re talking about the greats ever.

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/7/10 4:08:12AM
This thread will now be 100 % dedicated to the brilliance that is chael sonnen

"That’s because MMA fighters are a bunch of meatheads and somewhere along the way it became the cool thing to say you could knock a guy out. That never seemed cool to me. I don’t see what that has to do with anything. I’d be disappointed if I could knock him out. I mean, if I did, then great, but I want to go home and look at my DVR and see myself on TV for a long time. If I can get the full fifteen minutes, that’s what I’m going to do."

"That’s because everybody else is lazy. That’s the God’s honest truth. These fighters who say, ‘I’m looking for the finish,’ they’re not looking for the finish. They’re looking to get out of there because it’s really hard work. These lazy fighters who don’t want to have to go out and grind for fifteen minutes, it’s not pleasant, but that’s the business we’re in. "

hate4thestate
2/7/10 4:02:54PM
the guy is a politician he knows what to say and how to say it to get people riled up. well

"I’m not holding back on Nate, necessarily; I haven’t been asked about him. Secondly, there’s not a lot of ammunition there. Every now and then in this sport – and it’s every now and then; it’s extremely rare – but you’re going to come across a good guy. For every dirt bag in this business, you’re going to run into a Nate Marquardt or a Chael Sonnen or a Rich Franklin somewhere along the way. Two decent human beings have ended up getting paired together."

he called himself a decent human being

State_Champ
2/7/10 5:30:43PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

This thread will now be 100 % dedicated to the brilliance that is chael sonnen

"That’s because MMA fighters are a bunch of meatheads and somewhere along the way it became the cool thing to say you could knock a guy out. That never seemed cool to me. I don’t see what that has to do with anything. I’d be disappointed if I could knock him out. I mean, if I did, then great, but I want to go home and look at my DVR and see myself on TV for a long time. If I can get the full fifteen minutes, that’s what I’m going to do."

"That’s because everybody else is lazy. That’s the God’s honest truth. These fighters who say, ‘I’m looking for the finish,’ they’re not looking for the finish. They’re looking to get out of there because it’s really hard work. These lazy fighters who don’t want to have to go out and grind for fifteen minutes, it’s not pleasant, but that’s the business we’re in. "

Chael has had some of the best MMA quotes ever in the last few day IMO
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/9/10 1:54:14AM

"I'm feeling horrible right now, so I'll take anything to perk me up a little bit [being the number one contender]. I got cut in the fight. I got knocked out in the fight. I got choked in the fight. It was a miserable 15 minutes.... This is the Ultimate Fighting Championship. So while these guys are out there swinging a sledgehammer and flipping a tire around I'm throwing fists at a partners head, neck and chest. I'm fighting in practice everyday. I'm working on fighting things. I'm not spending my time on health or Anthony Robbins, screaming the word 'Yes!' over and over.... I never would have tapped [in the third round], but I was very close going to sleep. I was on my way out.... It was tight.... I would prefer to fight Anderson over Vitor [later this year] even though I think Vitor is the better fighter. Vitor has never lost a fight that was stand up. Not one ever. And I'm a Vitor fan. So I would know. The blueprint to beat Vitor is out there, but it's never been done by a stand up guy. It's been done by a guy who can push, pull and pummel him down there. The one weapon that Anderson's missing..... Anderson is fantastic. He's the champion of the world for a reason. I get that. I'm not delusional. I'd rather have Anderson who's big and tall and those long legs that I can come out and run over than Vitor. It will be a verbal beatdown [before the fight]. Anderson Silva will be in tears before it's all over.... This guy is no more real than the Loch Ness Monster. And if he needs me to expose him then I will. As far as him being the bully on the playground, his 15 minutes are up.... I've got to go get some rest. I feel horrible."

Also a great video put together highlighting some of chaels brilliance

Chael sonnen lowlight
D0wnUnd6e6r
2/9/10 8:19:31AM
the guy's a real estate agent and he acts like it everywhere he goes, he also always speaks like one. Personally, I don't like him as a person from what i know about him, but he did prove that he was legit and deserved to be in the UFC by taking it to nate.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/26/10 3:44:08PM

"I'm a lot better; I was awfully sore after that match. I was sore for a long time. I had a number of stitches. I finally have those out and seem to be healing pretty good. I got back into practice this week."

"For me, anything can change. The landscape changes all the time. But currently if we were to ask Dana White what's going to happen, I'm going to take on the winner of Anderson and Maia. So I'm on standby."

"Ideally how long could I get? I'd love to see three months which I anticipate it will be closer to five. If I had to get in there, you know you get that call; I'd get on the plane and go do it as soon as Abu Dhabi. But that certainty wouldn't be ideal for me from a selfish standpoint. It will be nice to sit back and watch those guys compete and then have some time to prepare."

"Well geez a few things. [Anderson] He is a tough puzzle to solve. You hit it on the head, nobody has come close. He's never fought a wrestler and I don't just mean he's never beat a wrestler, he's never fought one. Not in the small shows, not in the big shows. Not ever has he locked up with a wrestler. . I've been challenging with the guy for three and a half years, I've stuck my finger in this guys chest and he's fought everybody in the world that isn't named Chael Sonnen."

"So there’s something that he sees in my style that he's just flat just staying away from. …He has looked good but it's not hard to look good against some of those guys that he's competing with. So you know I'm not here to put these guys down but from my stand point it's a different style than he's ever faced. People tell me how dangerous he is on his feet; he's not going to be on his feet against me."

jiujitsufreak74
2/27/10 2:41:55PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
He's never fought a wrestler and I don't just mean he's never beat a wrestler, he's never fought one. Not in the small shows, not in the big shows. Not ever has he locked up with a wrestler. .

great find

i guess Dan Henderson isn't a wrestler