Chael Sonnen Is A Huge Early Favorite Over Michael Bisping, Weidman Favored Over Maia

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Chael Sonnen Is A Huge Early Favorite Over Michael Bisping, Weidman Favored Over Maia
Budgellism
1/18/12 2:04:44PM
Yesterday was a busy day in the world of MMA, and one of the major stories was the UFC on Fox 2 card getting re-shuffled when Mark Munoz was forced out of his bout with Chael Sonnen. Sonnen now faces Michael Bisping, and Demian Maia will now face undefeated prospect Chris Weidman on the main card. Not long after the changes were made, the betting lines came out for the new matchups and the Sonnen/Bisping like is pretty crazy at first glance (line via Bodog.ca):

Sonnen -450
Bisping +325

The third fight on the main card will feature prospect Chris Weidman taking Demian Maia, and while many are stating that it's too early for Weidman to take such a tough bout, the guys who set the lines (Bodog in this case) feel a bit differently:

Weidman -200
Maia +160

LINK
Kpro
1/18/12 2:10:38PM

Posted by Budgellism

The third fight on the main card will feature prospect Chris Weidman taking Demian Maia, and while many are stating that it's too early for Weidman to take such a tough bout, the guys who set the lines (Bodog in this case) feel a bit differently:

Weidman -200
Maia +160

About what I expected. Similar to most being surprised that 7-0 Cain Velasquez was the favorite against Big Nog when he'd never beaten a top 10 opponent.
shaneTpain
1/18/12 2:38:05PM
I agree with the Sonnen/Bisping bout but Im surprised to see Maia's odds are so slim! Must be alot of Weidman fans over at Bodog
40ouncetpkid
1/18/12 2:44:19PM
Yeah chael is going to brutally prison rape bisping.

However I don't know why maia is such a big underdog. Weidman is a world class wrestler but when it hits the ground maia is on a whole other planet I don't care if weidman trains with serra or for how long. Much better grapplers have tapped and as far as the stand up goes weidman really hasn't shown me anything to think he'd run through maia. As far as I'm concerned this is easy money for maia.
Bubbles
1/18/12 3:01:25PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Budgellism

Weidman -200
Maia +160

About what I expected. Similar to most being surprised that 7-0 Cain Velasquez was the favorite against Big Nog when he'd never beaten a top 10 opponent.

the difference in that fight is that Cain had better and faster boxing than Big Nog. here Maia looks to have the better striking while also holding a grappling advantage.

get your money on Maia before the lines even out
airkerma
1/18/12 3:18:17PM

Posted by shaneTpain

I agree with the Sonnen/Bisping bout but Im surprised to see Maia's odds are so slim! Must be alot of Weidman fans over at Bodog

Huge surprise for me too. Hopefully Maia sees this and it gets him fired up so I can make some sick cash off a 3 person parlay. I may eat my words but I'll take Maia all day on this one.
Kpro
1/18/12 3:30:26PM
EDIT: Response better suited for fight camp board.
KungFuMaster
1/18/12 3:32:37PM

Posted by shaneTpain

I'm surprised too. This fight is actually a coin toss for me as I do believe either guy can win depending on who executes their game plan first or better.
airkerma
1/18/12 6:25:26PM

Posted by Kpro

oh no, please do share...
cowcatcher
1/18/12 6:31:10PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Kpro

Rule 23 of the forums would have been broken.

23: Do not mention combining midgets, turkey basters, and farm animals in a way that could be construed as crude in the forums. We all know there are a lot of good reasons to put the holy trinity of fun together, but someone always ruins it by crossing a line. This is best saved for your camp forums.

EDIT: Thanks for following the code of conduct Kpro. When can I expect the pictures you were talking about on a subject completely unrelated to midgets, turkey basters and farm animals?
KungFuMaster
1/18/12 7:23:45PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Kpro

Rule 23 of the forums would have been broken.

23: Do not mention combining midgets, turkey basters, and farm animals in a way that could be construed as crude in the forums. We all know there are a lot of good reasons to put the holy trinity of fun together, but someone always ruins it by crossing a line. This is best saved for your camp forums.

EDIT: Thanks for following the code of conduct Kpro. When can I expect the pictures you were talking about on a subject completely unrelated to midgets, turkey basters and farm animals?

Haha

On a serious note: Unlike Kpro, I will break one site rule from time to time - simply because I like to voice my opinion and question that which does not add up. Some fights look suspicious as though a participant is not trying or is purposely trying to lose. I have been caught a few times before for making accusations of this nature and I apologize sincerely. However, I'll let you guys know ahead of time that my breaking of this site rule is not intentional and will likely happen again.
Travesty145
1/18/12 7:59:25PM
maias poor athleticism is going to be his downfall against weidman
tmas
1/18/12 11:33:06PM
na maia easy....this isnt gonna be a Weidman coming out party i dont think he is all that good anyway.
Kpro
1/19/12 10:00:45AM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Kpro

When can I expect the pictures you were talking about on a subject completely unrelated to midgets, turkey basters and farm animals?

As long as no one caught on that my code name is turkey baster, the pictures will be delivered via FedEx shortly. Dress appropriately and handle the package with care.
kingsmasher
1/19/12 10:56:41AM
The way BJJ is being dominated by wrestlers is pretty evident when a world class BJJ guy like Maia hasnt subbed anyone as of late...Weidman 30 -27 unanimous...Hes just not strong enough I think..
tepid55
1/19/12 1:47:19PM
I like Weidman's chances against Maia. He's a great wrestler and I think his submission defense is good enough to get a UD.
bjj1605
1/20/12 12:42:12AM
These guys are totally right.

I encourage everyone on this forum to pick Weidman. In fact, you should all also place bets on him.

Thank you.
kingsmasher
1/20/12 10:47:58AM

Posted by bjj1605

These guys are totally right.

I encourage everyone on this forum to pick Weidman. In fact, you should all also place bets on him.

Thank you.

Yeah set me up an av bet I got Weidman