Chael Sonnen to Host World MMA Awards, Will Air on Fox Sports and Fuel

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Chael Sonnen to Host World MMA Awards, Will Air on Fox Sports and Fuel
FastKnockout
10/21/11 5:03:55PM
Chael Sonnen has done an incredible job at becoming the best talker in MMA. His ability to cut a promo has become legendary and his post fight victory speech after defeating Brian Stann at UFC 136 was talked about for hours afterward by members of the press. It seems the year of Chael is continuing as he got the nod to host the World MMA Awards by Fighters Only Magazine. The World MMA Awards by Fighters Only Magazine are the MMA industry's equivalent of the Academy Awards or Grammy's.

The Fighters Only awards cover everything from Promotion of the Year to Journalist of the Year. There are also categories for apparel and ring card girls. This will be the fourth year the show as been held and will take place at the Pearl Theater at the Palms in Las Vegas. The date is November 30th and the event is open to the public. If you are in the Vegas area, you can pick up tickets on Friday at the Pearl ticket booth.

The news was broken by MMA Weekly earlier today. Sonnen will join Molly Qerim, who hosted last year's show with UFC legend Randy Couture. A change that no doubt has occurred due to the UFC's relationship with Fox, is that the show will air via delay on Fox's regional sports networks as well as Fuel TV. No word on when the show will air, but the schedule is expected to be released in the upcoming weeks.

LINK
FastKnockout
10/21/11 5:05:05PM
Oh boy, here we go..
DeadHead988
10/21/11 5:10:07PM
I didn't plan on watching them until I heard this. Now I'm tuning in without a doubt!
Twenty20Dollars
10/21/11 5:22:43PM
So they are really trying to make me not watch.

Wasn't going to watch before, no way I will now.
bojangalz
10/21/11 5:39:50PM
Meh, I'll wait for the highlight errrr; lowlights on youtube the next day. Definitely a way to get viewers/ratings though.
postman
10/21/11 5:43:19PM
Poor choices
Poor_Franklin
10/21/11 5:55:00PM

Posted by FastKnockout
The World MMA Awards by Fighters Only Magazine are the MMA industry's equivalent of the Academy Awards or Grammy's.

they'll get the same treatment I give the Academy Awards & Grammy's too. I'll look up the results the next day on the internet, no matter who is hosting
KungFuMaster
10/21/11 6:17:51PM
I will not miss this for the world. They picked the perfect guy for the job.
tcunningham
10/21/11 8:13:06PM
i think sonnen will do a good job. i watch MMA live on ESPN and hes on there quite a bit. i think hes the best public speaker out of all the fighters, its between him and frank mir. aside from all the trash talking he seems like to be pretty damn smart. so many fighters say the same crap about other fighters everytime they are asked, "yeah, hes a tough guy", "yeah, its gonna be a good fight for the fans" etc. at least sonnen says what he really thinks and doesnt sound like a broken record
ghandikush
10/22/11 12:48:08AM
He can read off all Anderons awards.
BeeR
10/22/11 6:09:27AM
yeah, it will be great too see him give Silva an award for "the most dominated fighter in a Match" then see him give anderson a "good job" slap on the ass as he leaves the stage

airkerma
10/22/11 11:06:49AM
So the guy who was out for a year for taking peds and has a single fight in 2011 is hosting the mma awards? Way to diminish the sport and encourage a wwf approach
prophecy033
10/22/11 6:56:16PM

Posted by DeadHead988

I didn't plan on watching them until I heard this. Now I'm tuning in without a doubt!

same here. It's kinda like the Howard Stern effect. Some people listen because they like him and wanna hear what he says, others don't like him, but they wanna hear what he says. He does have the gift of gab. It's gonna be interesting to see how it goes
prophecy033
10/22/11 7:00:46PM

Posted by airkerma

So the guy who was out for a year for taking peds and has a single fight in 2011 is hosting the mma awards? Way to diminish the sport and encourage a wwf approach

I don't think it diminishes the sport. Believe it or not, Sonnen is a smart dude. Aside from all the crazy talk he does, he's one of the more educated guys you'll find in the sport. I know I've been outspoken about how much I dislike all his talk but I don't have a problem with him hosting. In fact, is prefer it over, Dana, Franklin, Randy, or Hughes. He's gonna bring some fun along with all that Crazy he's got
airkerma
10/22/11 10:26:33PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by airkerma

I don't think it diminishes the sport. Believe it or not, Sonnen is a smart dude. Aside from all the crazy talk he does, he's one of the more educated guys you'll find in the sport. I know I've been outspoken about how much I dislike all his talk but I don't have a problem with him hosting. In fact, is prefer it over, Dana, Franklin, Randy, or Hughes. He's gonna bring some fun along with all that Crazy he's got

It rewards the wrong thing. Kenny is smart and somewhat witty as is Rashad. They can speak clearly and fluently and don't have a history of total garbage, including peds. That's why I think this is nonsense. What about Frankie? Accomplished and articulate.
ghandikush
10/22/11 11:58:24PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by airkerma

It rewards the wrong thing. Kenny is smart and somewhat witty as is Rashad. They can speak clearly and fluently and don't have a history of total garbage, including peds. That's why I think this is nonsense. What about Frankie? Accomplished and articulate.

Kenny would make a much better host.
Chael_Sonnen
10/23/11 8:03:06AM
All I have to say is....ABOUT DAMN TIME....ratings just went up

Chael P Sonnen = Must see TV
FlashyG
10/23/11 11:02:15AM
Lets be honest, very few if any of us would have watched without Chael hosting and the number of people who wont watch because he's hosting will be vastly outnumbered by those watching to see if he'll cause any trouble.

Having him host won't set the sport back either, giving him an award might, but having him call the guys up on stage to get theirs will probably hurt Sonnen's ego more than it would the sport.
Chael_Sonnen
10/23/11 2:39:55PM
Chael doesn't care about silly awards, only 5 pounds of tin around his waist.
cowcatcher
10/24/11 9:34:59AM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by airkerma

Kenny has about as much personality as a bowl of unflavored oatmeal and if Rashad is witty then I need to get an updated Webster's because my definition is clearly outdated and I missed all the clever and funny things he said when he and Rampage went back and forth. This isn't about rewarding guys, it's an awards show that wants ratings.

Anderson is sure to win something, it should make for some good tv.
Bubbles
10/24/11 6:22:27PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Kenny has about as much personality as a bowl of unflavored oatmeal and if Rashad is witty then I need to get an updated Webster's because my definition is clearly outdated and I missed all the clever and funny things he said when he and Rampage went back and forth

i tried to give you props but i gotta do some love spreading. that Kflo line was