CHAEL SONNEN TO FACE BRYAN BAKER FOR WEC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » CHAEL SONNEN TO FACE BRYAN BAKER FOR WEC
nickcuc547
3/17/08 8:40:40PM
World Extreme Cagefighting on Monday announced that Chael Sonnen, originally scheduled to challenge Paulo Filho for his middleweight title, will now face Bryan Baker in a non-title bout on March 26 in Las Vegas.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5912&zoneid=2
jae_1833
3/17/08 8:49:32PM
Actually not a bad replacement fight for Sonnen, Baker is explosive and hard hitting....he at least has a sluggers chance (a good one) to upset.
Nightmare27
3/17/08 8:54:24PM
I wouldnt understand Sonnen taking this fight unless Filho is going to be out for an extended period of time and he wants to stay ready. He is supposed to win and gains nothing by doing so.
Ordep
3/17/08 8:56:27PM
I really wanted to see Filho fight Sonnen again, and put on an impressive win so the management could start to consider moving him up to the UFC to see Filho-Silva
Pookie
3/17/08 8:57:15PM
That poses a good question nightmare... How long will Filho be out?

He has chronic depression and a problem with drug abuse( i believe i heard that)

He could be out for many months, especially if he wants to eradicate his problem.
jae_1833
3/17/08 8:58:45PM
Might as well get that fight out of your head....they both say that it would pretty much never happen...besides Filho isn't the same fighter he used to be...looks like his striking accuracy is down a bit and Silva's is so laser sharp that he would KO Filho with a quickness!!!
gartface
3/18/08 12:25:43AM

Posted by Pookie

That poses a good question nightmare... How long will Filho be out?

He has chronic depression and a problem with drug abuse( i believe i heard that)

He could be out for many months, especially if he wants to eradicate his problem.

Hope he doesn't go into seclusion like Evan Tanner did .
Or ruin his career like Ricco Rodriguez.
Kpro
3/18/08 1:01:32AM
Filho already said this was going to be his last fight at MW before moving up in weight.

Strip him of the title and make this a title fight and don't keep the title in limbo. Jesus.
whardin19
3/18/08 5:37:58PM

Posted by Kpro

Filho already said this was going to be his last fight at MW before moving up in weight.

Strip him of the title and make this a title fight and don't keep the title in limbo. Jesus.

I totally agree. They should strip the tile from Paulo Filho. Like Kpro said, this was his last fight at MW anyway. So why not make the Sonnen Baker fight a title fight. I'm not sure putting the title on hold until these two guys can meet again is a smart thing. This title needs to be active and around the waist of someone that actually wants to fight at 185.
skinnator
3/22/08 12:20:11PM
Thats cool Sonnen is a good Fighter