Chael Sonnen Compliments Jon Jones, Rips 205 Division and Predicts GSP Loss

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Chael Sonnen Compliments Jon Jones, Rips 205 Division and Predicts GSP Loss
POLL: Who will win the welterweight strap?
GSP 93% (52)
Sheilds 7% (4)
machodog76
4/14/11 3:40:27PM
For 30 minutes, Chael Sonnen spoke solemnly, seriously about the suspended state of his career and his attempts to revive it. But when the topic switched to the current state of MMA, Sonnen seemingly flipped a switch and became the soundbyte machine we've come to expect.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/04/11/chael-sonnen-compliments-jon-jones-rips-205-division-predicts/
scoozna
4/14/11 5:12:27PM
"And most importantly, you need to do what's good for sport."

Haha...like money laundering and illegal substances. Good one.
casketcoin
4/14/11 5:52:42PM
Their initials isn"t the only thing Chael Sonnen and Charlie Sheen have in common
Their both out of their goddamn mind
TeamDEY
4/14/11 6:47:00PM
Chael will never make the same mistake twice... except for getting triangled
Aether
4/14/11 9:49:29PM

Posted by scoozna

Wow I am just so sick of the cheating accusations at this point. It's common knowledge that he was receiving testosterone treatment for a medical condition. Steroids are not an "illegal substance" they are essentially a miracle medicine that can cure any number of legitimate ailments, and they are entirely legal when a doctor prescribes them to you, which is exactly the case with Sonnen.

Chael Sonnen was suspended for failing to properly disclose his medical treatment, not for taking illegal substances, and the reason he failed to disclose it is because he had already disclosed it to the UFC in his previous fight, and acted under the assumption that he would not have to do it for every one of his fights, since they already knew.

The nonsense people talk about steroids is tiresome. Everyone seems to think that the only potential use for them is cheating at sports. People with legitimate medical conditions get demonized and hounded for basically their entire careers if their name even appears in the same sentence as the word steroids. Let's read more than the headline of one inflammatory article before we start throwing accusations around that are highly damaging to a person's career.

Read the story and get some facts before you start trashing people.
quezocrema0032
4/14/11 10:05:04PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by scoozna

Wow I am just so sick of the cheating accusations at this point. It's common knowledge that he was receiving testosterone treatment for a medical condition. Steroids are not an "illegal substance" they are essentially a miracle medicine that can cure any number of legitimate ailments, and they are entirely legal when a doctor prescribes them to you, which is exactly the case with Sonnen.

Chael Sonnen was suspended for failing to properly disclose his medical treatment, not for taking illegal substances, and the reason he failed to disclose it is because he had already disclosed it to the UFC in his previous fight, and acted under the assumption that he would not have to do it for every one of his fights, since they already knew.

The nonsense people talk about steroids is tiresome. Everyone seems to think that the only potential use for them is cheating at sports. People with legitimate medical conditions get demonized and hounded for basically their entire careers if their name even appears in the same sentence as the word steroids. Let's read more than the headline of one inflammatory article before we start throwing accusations around that are highly damaging to a person's career.

Well said.
DeadHead988
4/14/11 10:58:31PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by scoozna

Thank the lord for intelligent posters.
grappler0000
4/14/11 11:11:02PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by scoozna

It's also funny since there are other fighters who use the same treatment, yet Chael is the only one that gets flack for it.
DeadHead988
4/14/11 11:36:37PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Aether

Posted by scoozna

It's also funny since there are other fighters who use the same treatment, yet Chael is the only one that gets flack for it.

Good point. They tend to be either older fighters or those who have a history of continuous weight-cutting (wrestlers), for example Randy Couture or Chael Sonnen who both use said treatment.
grappler0000
4/15/11 12:30:27AM

Posted by DeadHead988

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Aether

Posted by scoozna

Good point. They tend to be either older fighters or those who have a history of continuous weight-cutting (wrestlers), for example Randy Couture or Chael Sonnen who both use said treatment.

TBH, Randy ended up just being a rumor and was debunked. Dan Henderson and Todd Duffee are the other two that I'm aware of.
tcunningham
4/15/11 2:04:46AM
i think chael can comeback and be a legit contender at MW.i dont think they should throw him into a title shot or anything. as for shields taking the strap from GSP, aint happening.
SmileR
4/15/11 9:08:14AM
Sonnen mankes a good point about the LHW devision! Jones has been champ for a while now and no one has yet to say they want a title shot or that they want to fight him!

The biggest buzz is Jones fighting Silva not any of the other LHWs! For shame LHW devision. For shame!
State_Champ
4/15/11 9:55:40AM
"I will fight any man God ever made, period."

Chael Sonnen is a quote-machine, haha
Cooler
4/15/11 3:23:35PM
Chael complimented someone? he must not want any part of Jon Jones. I dont blame him, Jones would wreck him.
bjj1605
4/16/11 1:33:24AM

Posted by SmileR

Sonnen mankes a good point about the LHW devision! Jones has been champ for a while now and no one has yet to say they want a title shot or that they want to fight him!

The biggest buzz is Jones fighting Silva not any of the other LHWs! For shame LHW devision. For shame!

I think its nonsense. Jones already has an opponent. He was lined up before Jones even won the title. I'm sure there are plenty of people at LHW who want a shot at the belt, but it wouldn't make much sense to call out Jones when Evans already has the fight.
grappler0000
4/16/11 12:50:20PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by SmileR

I think its nonsense. Jones already has an opponent. He was lined up before Jones even won the title. I'm sure there are plenty of people at LHW who want a shot at the belt, but it wouldn't make much sense to call out Jones when Evans already has the fight.

I think his point is that it happens in other weight classes all the time...but, you can hear crickets chirping at 205. Sure, it was said in the usual Chael Sonnen manner, but It's not to say he isn't making a decent point.
jgtribbett
4/16/11 5:30:58PM

Posted by Cooler

Chael complimented someone? he must not want any part of Jon Jones. I dont blame him, Jones would wreck him.

I'm not sure "wreck" is accurate. I kinda think that it'll be a guy like chael. I'm pretty certain that jones couldn't man handle a guy like chael at 205 and for the love of god... don't say bader or hamill, they aren't on his level wrestling-wise
ncordless
4/16/11 6:27:02PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by scoozna

1. He broke the rules by not disclosing steroid treatments to the CSAC. Even if the treatment was legit, his failure to disclose was cheating.

2. When brought before the CSAC to answer for it, he lied to the commission and told them that he had spoken with Kieth Kizer about his treatments when he had never spoken wih Kizer in his life at that point.

3. When brought before Kizer to explain his lie to the CSAC, he lied to Kizer about his lie, saying that he hadn't meant what he said.

4. I am all for giving the benefit of the doubt to someone usually, but in this case all of his actions resulting from his testing positive, combined with the fact that he has been convicted of the kind of criminal activities that contributed to the housing crisis and subsequent recession, leave me more than a little suspicious about the validity of his treatment program, and with little sympathy for the argument that Chael is the victim in all of this.
FR33B1RD
4/16/11 6:46:03PM

Posted by jgtribbett
I'm not sure "wreck" is accurate. I kinda think that it'll be a guy like chael. I'm pretty certain that jones couldn't man handle a guy like chael at 205 and for the love of god... don't say bader or hamill, they aren't on his level wrestling-wise

What's he going to do blanket Jones for 3 rounds?

Jones is too dynamic, too strong, overall too much for Chael. Did you see the Maia fight? he proved you dont need to be the strongest guy and MMA is more diverse than just holding guys down like Chael ALWAYS does.

Jones could probably tap him out with Chael's terrible jiu jitsu defense as well.
scoozna
4/19/11 10:18:37AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Aether

Posted by scoozna

1. He broke the rules by not disclosing steroid treatments to the CSAC. Even if the treatment was legit, his failure to disclose was cheating.

2. When brought before the CSAC to answer for it, he lied to the commission and told them that he had spoken with Kieth Kizer about his treatments when he had never spoken wih Kizer in his life at that point.

3. When brought before Kizer to explain his lie to the CSAC, he lied to Kizer about his lie, saying that he hadn't meant what he said.

4. I am all for giving the benefit of the doubt to someone usually, but in this case all of his actions resulting from his testing positive, combined with the fact that he has been convicted of the kind of criminal activities that contributed to the housing crisis and subsequent recession, leave me more than a little suspicious about the validity of his treatment program, and with little sympathy for the argument that Chael is the victim in all of this.

Well said / thank you Lord for intelligent posters / and thanks for reading between the lines (not just the articles themselves) and explaining where I'm too lazy to do so. Suspicion here is warranted and disbelieving Chael is not "trashing" Chael.
SpicyMeatball
4/23/11 7:11:06AM

Posted by Aether

Posted by scoozna

Here is what you failed to mention. Chael Sonned didn't just test positive for HGH, he tested off the charts. Even for his " I can't hit puberty" disease. He took an insane amount, a lot more than what was needed. And he still lost. Also, why would he trash the UFC Lightheavyweight division? Does he realize that he is 0-2 there? And one of the guys he is ripping, Forrest Griffin, has already beaten him.