Chael Sonnen: UFC's Georges St-Pierre "wouldn't have much of a chance" in Olympics

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Chael Sonnen: UFC's Georges St-Pierre "wouldn't have much of a chance" in Olympics
POLL: Do you agree with Chael?
Yes 50% (33)
No 50% (33)
postman
6/12/10 11:23:09AM
VANCOUVER, British Columbia – In a supposed four-year campaign for the UFC middleweight belt, contender Chael Sonnen has cast a lot of stones in the direction of current 185-pound title-holder Anderson Silva.

And a Friday appearance at a UFC Fight Club Q&A session at GM Place in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, gave him free reign to trash the champion – with often hilarious results.

But Sonnen, a man whose political aspirations have prompted him to run for the Oregon Legislative Assembly, risked an unpopular stance when he cast a stone at the Olympic aspirations of a Canadian hero, UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre.
The MMA Junkie
Aether
6/12/10 12:14:01PM
Maybe he couldn't walk in right now and make the olympic team, but I think if he took a year or two and did nothing but wrestling, he's just such a crazy athlete that I wouldn't doubt he could make it.

I don't think he could do BOTH, but if he dedicated himself just to wrestling I think he's the kind of guy who has the natural athletic talent and drive to be world-class in just about anything.
jay98107
6/12/10 12:47:25PM
Why does Chael have any reason to talk about GSP? I understand the constant berating of Silva and the offensive comments directed towards the Nogueira brothers as a way to get under Silvas skin, but why GSP? Fans of Sonnen have been defending his antics as a way to sell tickets, but now he's being brash and arrogant to a fighter not even in his own weight class, who has nothing to do with any of his past or upcoming opponents. Maybe he just enjoys harassing fighters who are much better and will have a much longer lasting impact on the sport than he ever could imagine having himself.
cowcatcher
6/12/10 12:59:46PM

Posted by jay98107

Why does Chael have any reason to talk about GSP?

when being interviewed its commonplace to answer questions people ask you.
Aether
6/12/10 1:22:30PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by jay98107

Why does Chael have any reason to talk about GSP?

when being interviewed its commonplace to answer questions people ask you.

Yeah and if you look at the tone of his answer, it's totally different from the way he talks about Anderson. In this case, he's just stating his honest opinion that GSP couldn't make the Olympic team and that Canada's wrestling program is nothing close to the USA's. He answered the question as respectfully as possible IMO.
bjj1605
6/12/10 1:31:09PM
That's his opinion. It's expected for someone coming from a wrestling background. Maybe he's bitter that GSP is as good or better at wrestling (at least in MMA) and he's been training it for a fraction of the time? I have no doubt that if GSP dedicated a year + to training wrestling he could at least make the Olympic Team in Canada.

But I don't fault Chael for his comments.
jae_1833
6/12/10 1:46:53PM
I think he pretty much said that GSP could be a top 10 guy, but that he wouldn't brake the top 6 because of the experience advantage that his opponents would have over him. I'm sure (and I bet Chael is to) that if he dedicated all of his time over the next couple of years to the sport of wrestling that he would certainly be a force to reckon with. Now the question is how many of those guys that could beat him in wrestling would dare compete against him in an MMA match?
Jackelope
6/12/10 2:01:11PM
I would think Chael probably knows what he's talking about here. At least a little bit.

From my own personal experience I feel that wrestling in MMA and wrestling for wrestling aren't even really comparable. It's one thing to slip a punch and shoot in on somebody but it's a whole other thing to shoot in on somebody who knows that is what you're looking to do. And that's only one little piece of the puzzle.

There are positions in wrestling which we haven't even seen GSP operate out of. How does he do in the down defensive starting position? How does he do from the top, offensive starting position? Can he prevent reversals? How many technical reversals does he really know? Can he seamlessly hit switches without relying on strikes, knees, or other illegal maneuvers used in MMA?

I think people who don't know a whole lot about wrestling think it's just takedowns when in reality takedowns are few and far between during a match. When it does finally hit the ground a lot of points are scored on reversals or even near falls in some cases.

While I have no doubt that GSP has the physical gifts to at least be competitive and possibly even place top 10 I have to say that to think he'd make top 3 is a bit of a stretch IMO. He's going up against guys with a lifetime of knowledge.
prozacnation1978
6/12/10 2:07:19PM
damm chael sure likes to run his mouth alot
postman
6/12/10 4:37:37PM
I knew this would be a good one to see who reads it or not. That title sucks you right in lol. As Jakelope said GSP has a great double in MMA. Shooting a double in wrestling is different. Chael was asked a question and he responded to it. He explains the GSP would need to start by just learning the rules and the ways to score points. This isn't something you just pick up over night. I thought he as being nice by saying he could be top 10. I don't know how good Canadian wrestling is so maybe he would make their top 10.
mshalosky
6/12/10 5:03:34PM
I dont think GSP would win the Olympics but I think he could for sure make the team. As for straight wrestling being alot different then mma wrestling that is absolutely true. But, correct me if I am wrong GSP is a black belt in both Judo and Jiujitsu. While you can't use submissions in freestyle wrestling you can use the throws and reversals, overall having experience in both arts will help him out for sure. GSP with enough work would be able to do almost anything athletically.
meier
6/12/10 5:04:16PM
haha chael is really craking me up. he just doesn't care what he says that's awesome lol and hard on btw
TheGodfather1024
6/12/10 5:04:37PM
i think he would have a great chance
Jackelope
6/12/10 5:24:48PM

Posted by mshalosky

I dont think GSP would win the Olympics but I think he could for sure make the team. As for straight wrestling being alot different then mma wrestling that is absolutely true. But, correct me if I am wrong GSP is a black belt in both Judo and Jiujitsu. While you can't use submissions in freestyle wrestling you can use the throws and reversals, overall having experience in both arts will help him out for sure. GSP with enough work would be able to do almost anything athletically.

There are a lot of judo throws that are illegal as hell in wrestling, lol. That applies to a lot of other techniques like reversals as well.

The thing that makes wrestling so great in MMA as opposed to something like Judo is just how functional wrestling is. That's why guys like Nick and Nate Diaz- (who coincidentally are in your avatar) aren't successful against great wrestlers. Both Nick and Nate have great Judo tosses, but when you're up against a wrestler's base, functional strength, and functional technique- it just doesn't work.

Although that being said there are certain sit out throws in freestyle wrestling which have a very close similarity to some judo throws. What I'm trying to say is that I don't necessarily think they would help him more than if he had been training wrestling for his whole life.
postman
6/12/10 6:26:30PM
I know its kinda silly but I feel like if GSP had a real good 100 time and he joked that he might tryout for the olympic team that people would say you know if he ran every day for a year I bet he could do it.
icantthinkofanything
6/12/10 7:41:52PM
I agree because GSP is a great mma wrestler. GSP has perfect technique in all areas imo. His reaction takedowns and his ability to set up takedowns is unmatched in mma. However, mma wrestling is different, and GSP would have to relearn how to freestyle wrestle without strikes. GSP is such a good athelete I am sure he could pick it up, but right now, I don't think he would have a chance. Funny thing is, Chael is a very decorated wrestler, and I would pick GSP over Chael in an mma fight.
Giant_Ochai
6/12/10 8:02:23PM
GSP might be able to make the Canadian national team, but he'd get smoked in international freestyle tournaments.
bjj1605
6/13/10 1:58:07AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by mshalosky

There are a lot of judo throws that are illegal as hell in wrestling, lol. That applies to a lot of other techniques like reversals as well.

The thing that makes wrestling so great in MMA as opposed to something like Judo is just how functional wrestling is. That's why guys like Nick and Nate Diaz- (who coincidentally are in your avatar) aren't successful against great wrestlers. Both Nick and Nate have great Judo tosses, but when you're up against a wrestler's base, functional strength, and functional technique- it just doesn't work.

Although that being said there are certain sit out throws in freestyle wrestling which have a very close similarity to some judo throws. What I'm trying to say is that I don't necessarily think they would help him more than if he had been training wrestling for his whole life.

I think it's unfair to judo to judge them based off of the success of Nick and Nate Diaz vs wrestlers. Neither guy is a true judoka. I do agree with your argument that Judo wouldn't help very much in a wrestling match.

I also think that GSP's experience in Jiu Jitsu would make up for his lack of knowledge of wrestling positions. Jiu Jitsu is a much much much more complete grappling style than wrestling is. It has all the positions that wrestling has plus about 100 more. The top and bottom starting positions in wrestling are common places to end up in a jiu jitsu match, even if the ref isn't the one who puts you there.

Wrestlers aren't some sort of fighting sport gods. GSP is as good of a grappler as any man on the planet. His takedowns and takedown defense is excellent. He could absolutely learn the rules before he had to compete and to say otherwise is ridiculous, they aren't that complicated.

I might be being hard headed on this one but no one will convince me (you or chael sonenn) that GSP, one of the best athletes and grapplers of our generation, couldn't even make the oylmpic team.
Jackelope
6/13/10 2:47:06AM

Posted by bjj1605

It has all the positions that wrestling has plus about 100 more. The top and bottom starting positions in wrestling are common places to end up in a jiu jitsu match, even if the ref isn't the one who puts you there.

Wrestlers aren't some sort of fighting sport gods. GSP is as good of a grappler as any man on the planet. His takedowns and takedown defense is excellent. He could absolutely learn the rules before he had to compete and to say otherwise is ridiculous, they aren't that complicated.

I might be being hard headed on this one but no one will convince me (you or chael sonenn) that GSP, one of the best athletes and grapplers of our generation, couldn't even make the oylmpic team.

I believe he could make the Canadian olympic team.

That being said your argument for BJJ positions and their movements as they pertain to wrestling is a complete fallacy. Yes, I do feel BJJ is on the whole a more complete grappling system. However, I don't feel that in a pure wrestling setting it would be beneficial to know BJJ. Perhaps for a technique or two here and there, but not at all on a grand scale.

Fundamentally many of the techniques in BJJ (although not ALL) require giving up position or taking a risk in order to gain position. Wrestling is the complete opposite. Giving up position is a total no-no and can often times, even if only done for a second or two, lead to a large point gain for your opponent. Especially at the highest level. That's why younger, less experienced freestyle wrestling matches are much more entertaining to watch. At the top of the sport- especially in Olympic Greco - people take very few chances. Usually the very best wrestlers are your most fundamentally sound low-risk-taking position controllers.

Like I've said from the beginning- I really feel that people completely underestimate the enormous difference between MMA wrestling and freestyle wrestling. GSP is a phenomenal athlete. He could probably make the team. But if he were to medal in the olympics I'd be absolutely floored.
Boston617808
6/13/10 4:30:06AM
Hate's a strong word, but I seriously mean it when I say I hate Chael Sonnen. This guy talks about running for a seat in Oregon's Legislative Assembly then turns around and talks sh*t to Soares and makes racist comments about him and his gym. Then keeps it going, being as much of a douche as he can whenever wants him to open up his stupid mouth. Anderson's going to close it. Well maybe break it so that it hangs loosely and prevents this tahd from running it in the future. He is so full of himself for nothing! The man beat Okami and Marquardt, both two very good fighters, as well as Fihlo. But Fihlo was effed in the head at the time. Besides those two wins in Nate and Yushin, Sonnen hasn't done anything close to make him believe that he has the chance to beat Anderson. He didn't finish either of them. They were decisions. Anderson has finished almost everyone, save Maia and Leites. Chael needs to sit back and concentrate on his game plan and what to do when Anderson drills him in his fat mouth, not about running for president (jk) and GSP's wrestling abilities. Oh yeah, and with the sizes of GSP and Sonnen equal, I'd give that match to GSP any day. Jeez I hate Chael " Fail" Sonnen.
a-bombizzle
6/13/10 3:48:50PM
Thats ok chael, you wouldn't have much of a chance of making top three of the pound for pound list.
Gogoplatapus
6/13/10 4:05:38PM
I don't see why anyone gives twoshits.
aristipe
6/13/10 4:17:55PM
Who cares what Chael Sonnen has to say. Bottom line is Anderson Silva will destroy him very easily.
jiujitsufreak74
6/13/10 8:47:41PM
i'm going to side with Jackelope and agree that at this poin t in time there is no reason for us to say GSP could make the Olympic team. you have to remember that the Olympics is freestyle wrestling, a style that has thrown off even other wrestlers who have wrestled their whole lives. Jackelope is right in that there are so many more techniques than just taking a shot, and in freestyle those positions are much more important than the shot. GSP is a superb athlete, and if he dedicated his time to making the Olympic team then i say he would have a good shot, but you can't compare MMA wrestling to Olympic wrestling; you just can't.