CFL Standout WR Chad Owens Set to Try Hand at MMA

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » CFL Standout WR Chad Owens Set to Try Hand at MMA
Bubbles
3/22/13 10:32:23AM
Once upon a time, nobody knew two-sport dominance like Bo Jackson, who was a star in both the National Football League and Major League Baseball during a storied athletic career.

Chad Owens will probably never achieve the legendary status of Jackson, but the Toronto Argonauts standout is attempting a pretty noteworthy dual feat in his own right. Owens, who set a Canadian Football League record with 3,863 total yards last season, will make his MMA debut on April 6 at Destiny’s “Na Koa III” at the Blaisdell Arena in Honolulu, Hawaii. According to the promotion’s website, Owens will square off with fellow MMA newcomer Junyah Tevaga.

Owens was named the CFL’s Most Outstanding Player in 2012 as Toronto captured the Grey Cup; it was his third straight season of 3,000 or more total yards. Despite his outstanding resume, the former University of Hawaii football standout felt the need to test himself in another arena.

"I wanted to get into something new. A new challenge. Something to keep me hungry,” Owens told Hawaii News Now. “I always wanted to get into it sometime and this offseason I thought would be the perfect time."

link
frizzzlecake
3/23/13 3:17:35AM
Why would they compare him to Bo Jackson, this is more like a Too Tall Jones.imo

CFL must pay like crap to want to switch careers to getting punched in the face, or at least part time.
FlashyG
3/23/13 3:23:48AM

Posted by frizzzlecake

CFL must pay like crap to want to switch careers to getting punched in the face, or at least part time.

Put it this way, Alex Rodriguez is 2 million dollars away from making more money per season than every player in the CFL combined.

Salary Cap for teams is around 4-4.5 million and the average salary is around 80k a season.