Cesar Gracie: Medical Marijuana Behind Diaz Off Strikeforce?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Cesar Gracie: Medical Marijuana Behind Diaz Off Strikeforce?
Next Page »
DCRage
3/27/08 9:14:00AM
Although the CSAC is claiming Nick Diaz is off this weekend's Strikeforce/WliteXC card for not submitting medical papers in time, Diaz trainer Cesar Gracie thinks it's because Diaz has a "medical marijuana card". Diaz reportedly smokes marijuana to treat an ADD condition.

Article
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/27/08 9:23:09AM
very interesting.....i wish i was on medical marijuana
CornishMMA
3/27/08 9:27:16AM
I cant read the article very well, i dunno, i just cant seem to concentrate ....... quick someone give me some free weed
babytater03
3/27/08 10:30:21AM

Posted by DCRage

Although the CSAC is claiming Nick Diaz is off this weekend's Strikeforce/WliteXC card for not submitting medical papers in time, Diaz trainer Cesar Gracie thinks it's because Diaz has a "medical marijuana card". Diaz reportedly smokes marijuana to treat an ADD condition.

Article

PAH LEASE! i have ADHD and Marijuana has NEVER been a treatment that's been offered. I WISH!

So what's Nate's excuse?
Nightmare27
3/27/08 11:07:57AM

Posted by babytater03

Posted by DCRage

Article

PAH LEASE! i have ADHD and Marijuana has NEVER been a treatment that's been offered. I WISH!

So what's Nate's excuse?

Its not crack!!! Since when does anybody need and excuse to sit down after a long hard day and burn one?! Not to mention Nate has never tested positive for it after a fight. So he obviously cares enough about his job not to put anything in front of it. I do see the big deal, Nick knows after the Gomi fight that they test for it. I bet he's clean right now, pissed off that he hasnt been smoking!!
saemskin
3/27/08 11:32:44AM
nobody cares about me smoking a parsley bowl now and then. What's the difference between this plant and that plant again?

Oh yeah, beer and cigarette lobbyists have banded together to make it illegal, and since we live in a fascist society, not a democracy, they won and now this harmless plant is illegal and a "dangerous" gateway to all sorts of evil things.

Bullshit hypocrisy.

I just want to take this time to thank the governrment for protecting me from this vile and evil plant. Please continue to decide what is best for me so I can feel safe and protected from the bad men in the world. This week it appears to be terrorists in the form of an orange alert, or this that November when the alerts come along?
CornishMMA
3/27/08 11:39:08AM

Posted by babytater03

Posted by DCRage

Article

So what's Nate's excuse?

You mean Nick not Nate but you are totally missing the point, he DOES HAVE a medical marijuana card and the reason why he has it and you dont is quite obvious, he lives in Cali where its legal and you live in Florida were it is not
jimmypockets
3/27/08 12:10:31PM
Unfortunately you guys are failing to realize that Marijuana is considered a performance enhancing drug. They say it gives you a higher pain tolerance and believe it or not can imrove reaction time. I don't care if he smokes or not but at the same time I do agree that they have the right to keep him off the card if he has marijuana in his system. That is the only choice besides making the "Ice Pick" smoke a big fatty before the fight too so they are on a level playing field.
Wolf
3/27/08 12:41:35PM
the only way it's going to give you a competitive edge is if you're smoking on your way down to the ring. The effects just don't last long enough for it to really matter.
Pookie
3/27/08 1:26:21PM
Im on medical marijuana for insomnia and acid-reflux. But yeah in california you can get a card for ADD if you know the right people, or pay off the right people.

It seems that the state commission should obey the law on this one. Some people need weed to live (in nicks case its questionable) and whos the nsac to tell them they cant compete in MMA for taking something that is legal?
Jackelope
3/27/08 2:04:57PM
Nick's pot addiction once again steps into the face of his career. No one NEEDS marijuana. Some people may smoke marijuana to ease their pain, but there is not a single person on this earth that NEEDS marijuana. Another perfect example of why I hate pot heads. You've got a guy with loads of talent, could be a ******* superstar (is a superstar, really) and he's throwing it all away over being a pothead.

I have no problem with people smoking weed. I have a problem with potheads/stoners.

He'll never be back in the UFC or the WEC because of all of this, and what he does have going for him in Elite will go away if he keeps screwing them over like this.
bullettdodger
3/27/08 2:06:27PM
You hit the nail on the head with that one Cornish, you got ADHD, then move to cali where the green is greener and hoes are meaner... at any rate, i am surprised to see that me and pookie have the same medical condition AND prescription :D...
Pookie
3/27/08 2:15:20PM

Posted by Jackelope

Some people may smoke marijuana to ease their pain, but there is not a single person on this earth that NEEDS marijuana.

Thats kind of like saying no one needs pain killers when giving birth to a kid. Its true they may not NEED it. But it sure as hell has a medical purpose .

Glaucoma patients need it to keep them from going blind.
Muscular-sclerosis patients use it to help their irritability, depression, tiredness, muscle stiffness, tremors, pain, sleep, muscle spasms, energy levels and bladder function.
And im not sure of the disease but there are a few people that the US government sends marijuana to, to keep them from growing tumors in there body on a daily bases.
billycarnage
3/27/08 2:31:51PM

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by babytater03

Posted by DCRage

Article

So what's Nate's excuse?

You mean Nick not Nate but you are totally missing the point, he DOES HAVE a medical marijuana card and the reason why he has it and you dont is quite obvious, he lives in Cali where its legal and you live in Florida were it is not

Hey, go easy!
He's got ADHD.
wrona666
3/27/08 2:56:16PM
What does it matter if it is in his system, pot can stay in your system for months that doesnt mean he is high while he is fighting.... unless he is smoking weed withing thirty minutes of fighting i just dont see the point of taking him off the card especially if he has a perscription........Yes it is very easy to get medical marajuana in california.....I know over a dozen people that legally smoke and grow marajuana in california...
Jackelope
3/27/08 3:28:05PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Jackelope

Some people may smoke marijuana to ease their pain, but there is not a single person on this earth that NEEDS marijuana.

Thats kind of like saying no one needs pain killers when giving birth to a kid. Its true they may not NEED it. But it sure as hell has a medical purpose .

Glaucoma patients need it to keep them from going blind.
Muscular-sclerosis patients use it to help their irritability, depression, tiredness, muscle stiffness, tremors, pain, sleep, muscle spasms, energy levels and bladder function.
And im not sure of the disease but there are a few people that the US government sends marijuana to, to keep them from growing tumors in there body on a daily bases.

I'm not saying it doesn't have a medical purpose.

I'm not going to get into a marijuana debate here. I know on this site I'll be vastly outnumbered in my beliefs. Let me just say that I'm a medical professional by trade, and I have my beliefs. There is a line between a medicinal user, and a pothead. 99.9% of members on this site I guarantee are recreational users, and I guarantee you that Nick Diaz is a recreational user as well.
chubbud22
3/27/08 4:10:13PM

Posted by jimmypockets

Unfortunately you guys are failing to realize that Marijuana is considered a performance enhancing drug. They say it gives you a higher pain tolerance and believe it or not can improve reaction time. I don't care if he smokes or not but at the same time I do agree that they have the right to keep him off the card if he has marijuana in his system. That is the only choice besides making the "Ice Pick" smoke a big fatty before the fight too so they are on a level playing field.

A performance enhancer Improves reaction time
You are pretty much saying the opposite of what burning tree does for you. I am one knows what weed does for you and and it does not give you super powers. Have you even smoked before it does not sound like you have cause what you are saying is ridiculous.
gartface
3/27/08 4:26:21PM
Doesn't it increase your tolerance for pain?
I see that as a performance enhancer.
coldchillin
3/27/08 4:36:19PM
it's absurd to think marijuana is a performance enhancer... it allows you to relax a little like a good massage can but it's definitely not like anabolic steriods or anything like that. WHAT A JOKE. Especially if he has a prescription that allows him to smoke it.
DCRage
3/27/08 4:49:03PM
Wrestling Observer posted a small item on the situation, it does reveal a littl emore as to exactly why Nick's off and the whole hubbub:

Nick Diaz is out of Saturday night's Strikeforce show in San Jose. Drew Fickett, who was to face Jake Shields (who suffered a back injury in training), now faces Jae Suk Lim, who was to face Diaz. Diaz got bounced by the California State Athletic Commission. When he had a list of his meds, marijuana was on the list. The commission didn't have time to go through its procedures, which involve the commission doctor and the personal doctor explaining the just medical need for the drug (having a prescription alone is not enough to clear it) and then the commission doctor making a recommendation, so Diaz wasn't licensed..

Although...the one fair tradeoff is it might spare us more Armando Garcia ranting.
wrona666
3/27/08 5:19:28PM
Anyone who thinks Marajuana is a performance enhancing drug needs to take a bong load and then go try to play a sport and see how far it gets you....If anything it would affect his performance not enhance it.....I just thought that was common knowledge....
gartface
3/27/08 5:57:09PM
Am I the only one here that has never smoked weed?
DCRage
3/27/08 5:59:04PM
I haven't. Never even smoked period.
jiujitsufreak74
3/27/08 6:02:56PM

Posted by gartface

i have not smoked weed and don't respect fighters that test positive for it. it is an enhancer for pain threshold that is a fact. look at how Diaz was able to take a broken orbital without a wince yet Bob Sapp cried from the same injury. you should not have any illegal drugs in your system on the night of a fight. it is unprofessional and weed as i said increases how much pain you can take. i believe that Strikeforce may have thought that the card would foreshadow a positive Marijuana test on the night o the fight and did not want to deal with that. i personally think that just because he has the card does not mean you have the grounds to pull his fight but i think i know where they are coming from if that is the actual reason which i do not think is the case.
gartface
3/27/08 6:17:29PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by gartface

i have not smoked weed and don't respect fighters that test positive for it. it is an enhancer for pain threshold that is a fact. look at how Diaz was able to take a broken orbital without a wince yet Bob Sapp cried from the same injury. you should not have any illegal drugs in your system on the night of a fight. it is unprofessional and weed as i said increases how much pain you can take. i believe that Strikeforce may have thought that the card would foreshadow a positive Marijuana test on the night o the fight and did not want to deal with that. i personally think that just because he has the card does not mean you have the grounds to pull his fight but i think i know where they are coming from if that is the actual reason which i do not think is the case.

100% I have to spread the love though.
wrona666
3/27/08 6:45:54PM

Posted by gartface

My god u people are ignorant.....dont coment on it if you have never tried it because you have no idea what you are talking about..
jgtribbett
3/27/08 7:02:16PM
that blows... so aer they booting him?

and btw its orbit. (all together canbe considered the orbital "group" or somethinglike that) and something that helps you tolerate pain wouldnt be an inhancer, it'd be an anelgiesic or a "pain killer" ( generally narcodics) and it doesnt help you not feel pain. nor would he bein any place to be fighting somone like gomi while high. and bob sapp is just a big guy.. not good , not tough,.. just big.
so.. you're done
Pookie
3/27/08 8:19:02PM
sapp cries alot man... and the diaz brothers dont seem like they would cry over shit... just wanted to put that out there.

And to Jackelope: i was only responding to what you said about no one needing Med. marijuana. I agree with you that most people including diaz are recreational users.
hippysmacker
3/27/08 9:42:29PM

Posted by wrona666

Posted by gartface

My god u people are ignorant.....dont coment on it if you have never tried it because you have no idea what you are talking about..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's ben 15 years since I smoked weed, but I can honestly say it dulled my pain, I once stepped on a block of wood ,and a nail went threw my foot,while running. I didn't even notice till about 5 seconds later when the wood caught on a curb, twisted, and I fell. Then it hurt pretty bad. Anyway, if he wants to fight in sanctioned events in most US states, he needs to post[pone it while training IMO.
Nightmare27
3/28/08 1:43:59AM

Posted by gartface

I would say that Diaz is just alot tougher than Sapp. Did you see Sapp vs Norte? If you didnt you need to.
Pages: [1] 2