Cell Phones

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Cell Phones
Playground_Samurai
5/26/11 7:40:44PM
Just wondering what kind of phones everybody is working with and how they like them.

I just got my 4g Samsung Droid Charge yesterday. Android 2.2(froyo) OS. Has a 1ghz hummingbird processor, 8mp rear/1.2mp front facing camera, super amoled plus screen, 32 gig sim and memory card, and an hdmi out.

Chose it over the thunderbolt because it's half the weight and has a better battery. Also the super amoled screen.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
FastKnockout
5/26/11 8:06:54PM
HATE IT.

pmoney
5/26/11 8:16:21PM
I have the Blackberry Torch. It's chill, the extensive contact information helps with work/notes, etc..... I have not been satisfied with the battery life on a phone in years And being that all phones these days are smart phones, I just find the batteries lacking. The Torch has fared well, considering. You just have to do the normal stuff: Turn off GPS, Wi-Fi, etc, try and keep those background operations to a minimum. It also helps to have a charger at home, work, and in the car! lol

My girl has (I think) the Samsung Epic 4G from Sprint. It's got the AMOLED touch screen, full keyboard, blah blah. I would say hers is better for play, mine for work. I do want the 4G though, it's just not out in my area yet. And again, even more so with 4G, my girl is perpetually charging her phone. She will charge it all night and rarely get through a full work day without having to charge her phone.

C'est la vie! Other than battery issues and the rare crash/freeze, I like both phones.
Budgellism
5/26/11 8:19:55PM
Terrible phone. It shuts off when I'm in the middle of lengthy texts all the time and it's extremely laggy in general, especially on the internet. I love the keyboard though.

emfleek
5/26/11 9:10:45PM
I have the Solstice II and it does the same thing (shuts off randomly) and pisses me off.

postman
5/26/11 9:13:29PM
I have the motorola defy its water proof and the screen won't scratch so it seemed to be built for a bull like myself. Or just a guy who likes to leave his phone on his lap then get out of the car (also me). Plus it is light and slim I really like it.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
kopower
5/26/11 9:52:14PM
Droid X. I'm on my second one. First one froze up and wouldn't charge. I was hesitant to switch from a Blackberry with a keyboard to a touch screen, but I love it. Sometimes it is a bit laggy, and force closes but the majority of the time it's solid. Love the big screen and android market. It has a nice 8mp camera, HD video, HDMI port and 16gb micro sd card that can go up to 32gb. The battery life on it is actually pretty solid.

Playground_Samurai
5/26/11 10:33:24PM

Posted by kopower

Droid X. I'm on my second one. First one froze up and wouldn't charge. I was hesitant to switch from a Blackberry with a keyboard to a touch screen, but I love it. Sometimes it is a bit laggy, and force closes but the majority of the time it's solid. Love the big screen and android market. It has a nice 8mp camera, HD video, HDMI port and 16gb micro sd card that can go up to 32gb. The battery life on it is actually pretty solid.

A couple of my buddies have the droid x and love it. I think they both are waiting on the droid bionic. Droid x 2 is being released within the next week or so and has the dual core processor. Should be nice. As for the blackberrys, i'm not much of a fan. They're nice for the corporate email sync and calender, but the screen is small and the market is lacking.
kopower
5/26/11 11:00:50PM
Your phone looks pretty bad ass. I have a friend with the thunderbolt and they aren't real impressed. I think you made the right choice.
papercut
5/26/11 11:33:09PM
I have the samsung mesmerize. I had a blackberry tour for quite some time and was in love with it and when it came to upgrade I tried the Bold but didn't like it so I went with this. definitely a good phone. I would recommend it to anyone with US Cellular
bojangalz
5/27/11 12:45:56AM
I've got a Droid X as well. I can't say that I share the same lag issues though...

I Rooted the phone and loaded a custom ROM. I can over-clock the processor to 1.4 ghz stable; but I back it down to an undervolted 1.1 ghz for batter life reasons.

I absolutely love this phone. I use it for internet radio in the squad car. It's my gps nav whenever I need it. I've got some great apps (particularly love my HIIT timer for running circuits at the gym). And nothing beats using the gps to track a 5k run while listening to slacker radio. Absolutely fantastic.

*EDIT*

Completely forgot about the whole google voice app. If you're on android, you've got to look into it.
postman
5/27/11 12:25:11PM

Posted by bojangalz

I've got a Droid X as well. I can't say that I share the same lag issues though...

I Rooted the phone and loaded a custom ROM. I can over-clock the processor to 1.4 ghz stable; but I back it down to an undervolted 1.1 ghz for batter life reasons.

I absolutely love this phone. I use it for internet radio in the squad car. It's my gps nav whenever I need it. I've got some great apps (particularly love my HIIT timer for running circuits at the gym). And nothing beats using the gps to track a 5k run while listening to slacker radio. Absolutely fantastic.

*EDIT*

Completely forgot about the whole google voice app. If you're on android, you've got to look into it.

Gotts spread the love. I use the Hit timer as well lol.
SpiderSilva
5/27/11 7:52:45PM
i have a HD2 and it sucks balls. it has windows 6.5. worst cool phone ever. if it had droid it would be one of the best phones out there but nope. 9 more months
kizzane
5/27/11 9:37:09PM
I currently have a droid 2 that has been rooted with "z4root."

I wasn't happy with the performance after the 2.2 upgrade so I decided to root it so that I could perform some custom tweaks on it. It also allowed me to use my phone as a hotspot without paying my carrier those fees.

Runs like a striped ass ape now! (it's fast)

If you want to root your droid 2 or droid X check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvB4YSIC2Vw

Make sure your phone is compatible with z4 first

There are similar videos / articles for other devices but for the love of all things mma, DONT FORGET TO BACKUP FIRST!
Shawn91111
5/27/11 9:40:23PM
I still have the LG Vu and hate it. I am due for an upgrade and need a hard keyboard. Ive had this for 3 years and still hate the all touch screen keyboard.
bojangalz
5/27/11 10:20:30PM

Posted by kizzane

I currently have a droid 2 that has been rooted with "z4root."

I wasn't happy with the performance after the 2.2 upgrade so I decided to root it so that I could perform some custom tweaks on it. It also allowed me to use my phone as a hotspot without paying my carrier those fees.

Runs like a striped ass ape now! (it's fast)

If you want to root your droid 2 or droid X check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvB4YSIC2Vw

Make sure your phone is compatible with z4 first

There are similar videos / articles for other devices but for the love of all things mma, DONT FORGET TO BACKUP FIRST!

Not too geek out too bad on the forums... But what ROM are you running? I've been on Rubix for a while now, but I'm going to migrate to Liberty once they get a more final build of a Gingerbread Rom.
bojangalz
5/27/11 10:27:20PM

Posted by Shawn91111

I still have the LG Vu and hate it. I am due for an upgrade and need a hard keyboard. Ive had this for 3 years and still hate the all touch screen keyboard.

The problem isn't the lack of a physical keyboard. It's the fact that the Vu only has a 3 inch screen. You've got to give it another try with a larger screen next time. Seek out a Droid that comes with Swype installed. It's blazing fast and super easy to pick up.

Check it out here.
Shawn91111
5/27/11 10:40:18PM

Posted by bojangalz

Posted by Shawn91111

The problem isn't the lack of a physical keyboard. It's the fact that the Vu only has a 3 inch screen. You've got to give it another try with a larger screen next time. Seek out a Droid that comes with Swype installed. It's blazing fast and super easy to pick up.

Check it out here.

I dont care about all the screen size, internet etc. Ive tried the Droids from friends who have them and its not for me. It is about a lack of a physical keyboard to some.
kizzane
5/27/11 11:07:52PM

Posted by bojangalz

Check it out here.

Don't laugh too hard but I was too scerred to try. I read the documentation on Virtuous Rom but I have purchased a ton of apps from the market and want to make sure they will all work on the new rom. I was also looking at APEX rom because so many people have liked it.

Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is to man up and just go for it.

So I simply rooted the stock rom and removed the bloatware, and overclocked to 1.2 ghz. (had to get an extended life battery though)

I'm going to try it this weekend though. I will let you know what happens.
kopower
4/13/12 10:58:30PM
Just purchased a HTC Rezound. Love it so far. Battery life is just ok, but the HD screen on it is amazing, same with the camera. I am leaving my rooted Droid X, that was running a custom Yack 1.2 ROM. It was very snappy, but the camera just didn't cut it for me.

Picked up the Rezound for only $50. Yeah, it's another 2 years with Verizon, but I get a discount through work. The phone comes with Dr. Dre Beats Audio headphones and program. It basically bumps up the bass and cleans up mp3's. I thought it was a bit of a gimmick, but the beats audio did improve the music. My first 4G phone, and the increased speed difference from 3G is definitely noticeable. Probably not gonna root the phone until after it receives the Ice Cream Sandwich update. I can't stand all the bloatware on it now though.

prophecy033
4/14/12 1:26:53AM
I'm rocking the HTC EVO 4G. I love it but it has a few things that piss me off. I've had it since January 2011 and now the phone doesn't charge with the car charger. Every once in awhile it will kick me off the internet but ONLY when I'm doing something important. The sound on the MP3's is great. Updated to the GINGERBREAD 2.3.5
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
george112
4/14/12 12:35:38PM

Posted by prophecy033

I'm rocking the HTC EVO 4G. I love it but it has a few things that piss me off. I've had it since January 2011 and now the phone doesn't charge with the car charger. Every once in awhile it will kick me off the internet but ONLY when I'm doing something important. The sound on the MP3's is great. Updated to the GINGERBREAD 2.3.5

I also have this phone.

I do EVERYTHING on it. My laptop broke about a year ago
KungFuMaster
4/14/12 6:07:24PM
I'm not much into technology. I didn't get my first cell phone until 2003. I'm that guy that refuses to conform until it's inevitable.

I see everyone else with I-Phones. My wife and my oldest daughter - each have one. If I did not need to upgrade, I would still have the conventional motorola cell phone.

When I receive a phone call in public, I would sneak away into a corner to take my call. I took a call one time in front of my nephews and nieces, and you should have seen the look on their eyes. They looked at my phone with awe and curiosity.

"Uncle KFM, your phone has buttons? That is so cool."

"Yes, I know. That's why I'm the only who has it."