CBS scores with initial ratings for EliteXC's "Saturday Night Fights"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » CBS scores with initial ratings for EliteXC's "Saturday Night Fights"
grappler0000
6/1/08 10:21:52PM
The first EliteXC show Saturday night on CBS won its time period and drew an audience of more than four million viewers during the first two hours of the broadcast.

According to preliminary Nielsen ratings for Saturday, the 9 to 11 p.m. Eastern portion of the show did a 2.7 rating and a 5 share, an audience of 4.3 million viewers. "Saturday Night Fights" swept the two-hour time slot in adults and males, leading the ratings’ pack in the following demographics: adults 25-54 (1.9/6 share), adults 18-49 (1.9/6), adults 18-34 (1.9/7), men 25-54 (2.6/8), men 18-49 (2.5/8) and men 18-34 (2.6/10).

Ratings among males are particularly strong and outpaced most industry projections, which had the broadcast pegged for a 2 rating.

These numbers are very encouraging for CBS and EliteXC, especially since viewers for the most-anticipated fight of the evening – Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson versus James Thompson – are not included in the ratings. Preliminary national numbers for Saturday night include only the 9 to 11 p.m. prime-time portion of the broadcast and do not include the main event, which aired after 11 p.m.

While the national ratings do not include the Ferguson-Thompson fight, ratings are available from the 54 "metered local markets," and the numbers are huge. The broadcast gained in every half-hour in those markets, beginning with a 2.4/5 from 9 to 9:30 p.m. and peaking at a 4.7/10 from 11:30 to 11:45 p.m. during the main event.

Complete ratings will be available Tuesday.

Link
juanez13
6/1/08 10:22:58PM
It will be interesting to see the ratings on the next show. Hopefully this convinces the networks to give UFC a shot and show everyone what real MMA looks like.
DevonFoxy
6/2/08 12:00:01AM
Idk these ratings may be good but if it were me I would have put the WEC card that happened tonight on network TV as I felt that card was much more entertaining but Elite XC got the deal not Zuffa. War featherweights and bantamweights!!

I agree it will be interesting to see the next shows ratings it will bring in. Personally I thought the show was horrible all in all and could possibly be a step back for MMA in the long run. If I wasn't a fan and I watched that I would see no reason to watch something like it again sadly.

I don't know mebbe this is just coming off the WEC fight I saw tonight which was a great night of fights compared to the XC card which main event left with a feeling of "Wow this is going to be controversial" after the stoppage.

Personally I felt Kimbo was not ready for this and clearly the Main Event last night should have been Lawler vs Smith for the Title. Kimbo showed he is still raw with a lot of potential but I think even Elite XC if honest with themselves would be at the very least very disappointed with the show. Just my 2 cents
coldchillin
6/2/08 1:13:25AM

Posted by juanez13

It will be interesting to see the ratings on the next show. Hopefully this convinces the networks to give UFC a shot and show everyone what real MMA looks like.

EliteXC has plenty of fighters to choose from to show "what real MMA looks like"... have you ever heard of Jake Shields, Nick Diaz, Eddie Alvarez, etc. etc.???

If anything, the good numbers that Kimbo helped get could allow fighters like Shields and Diaz a big stage to fight on for hopefully future EliteXC events. Not to mention, EliteXC co-promotes shows with Strikeforce and they are in a partnership with Dream. They have a lot of talent at their disposal to use if EliteXC can continue to get big ratings.

*The WEC show tonight was much more entertaining than Elite last night but that's because Torres is a future superstar in the making and of course they had their golden boy Faber in the main event*
Leland
6/2/08 8:39:58AM
This is a GREAT thing for MMA. dont hate on EliteXC just cuz ya dont like them. They are changing the MMA stage right now. 4 million viewers, wow. thats awesome. UFC will probably be on ABC or something massive in the years to come IMO.

P.S. Chick fights rock