CBS will control production and announce team for XC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » CBS will control production and announce team for XC
ToeZup
3/11/08 2:39:32PM
ProElite, Inc. and the CBS Television Network on Feb. 28 announced a multi-year agreement to bring mixed martial arts to the broadcast network. CBS will broadcast four MMA events per year, produced by ProElite's EliteXC fight division, as two-hour live primetime specials targeted for Saturday nights.

The agreement augments an existing relationship between CBS Corporation and ProElite, which began broadcasting its EliteXC live MMA events on CBS's Showtime premium cable network in 2007. EliteXC events will continue to air on Showtime.

Gary Shaw, president of EliteXC’s Live Events division, told MMAWeekly.com recently that the first telecast has not yet been determined, but that it will take place sometime between April and June of this year.

He also addressed the issue of the broadcast team of the CBS telecasts, believed to be one of the major points of contention between Ultimate Fighting Championship officials and CBS when the two entities were reportedly negotiating to bring the UFC to the network’s airwaves prior to the EliteXC signing.

EliteXC will still control the details of the production of the events, including matching the fighters; but CBS will be in control of the production of the telecast itself, including the announcing team.

“We're doing our own production. We're putting on the fights,” said Shaw. “They're broadcasting the event, absolutely. It's a joint effort between us. There are a lot of people involved in this joint effort including CBS, including Showtime, including us, including their marketing people, their outdoor billboard people, their radio people, their TV people.

“Remember, we do ShoXC that has a broadcast team; we do EliteXC that has a broadcast team; and CBS will have a broadcast team,” he continued. “We'll have three different broadcast teams that work with us.”

Although it remains to be seen how EliteXC events will be presented on CBS, Shaw said that the network didn’t have plans to alter production on events that continue to air on Showtime.

“They were very, very happy with the Showtime production and the competitive matches we're putting on Showtime. They like the product we're working with.”

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=746376
rabbit915
3/11/08 2:54:04PM
Oh God, CBS is going to pull one of their regular sports announcers to do this working with someone else who knows MMA. It was like when ABC had Brent Musburger doing the World Cup. It was obvious he didnt know anything about soccer and it sucked. This will be terrible.
grappler0000
3/11/08 3:38:24PM

Posted by rabbit915

Oh God, CBS is going to pull one of their regular sports announcers to do this working with someone else who knows MMA. It was like when ABC had Brent Musburger doing the World Cup. It was obvious he didnt know anything about soccer and it sucked. This will be terrible.

So, it should be a step up from Bill Goldberg then?
three_days_of_grey
3/11/08 3:46:51PM
And thus the broadcast trio of Greg Gumbel, Dan Dierdorf, and Lesley Visser was born and thousands of mute buttons were pressed simultaneously across the world. Actually, John McEnroe is on the CBS sports payroll and would probably do well in Goldy-type role.
I dont see how CBS is happy with Shaws current ElixteXC productions. I thought the last Cage Rage event sucked more ass that a proctologist with a Shopvac. The ring announcer was horrible and I am not a fan of Mauro Renallo's voice. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.

-OUT-
Kpro
3/11/08 4:14:59PM
I was wondering this, since it was widely considered the reason the UFC never struck a deal.
rabbit915
3/11/08 4:41:38PM
In my opinion the UFC was right to be protective of their broadcasting rights. Not everyone agrees with me but i think the UFC runs a very good broadcast and i think they need to worry about how their production looks the first time many people in america see it.

I on the other hand cannot stand the EliteXC production and had the TV on mute for most of their last event. They dont have much to lose as far as this goes.
tuvok500
3/11/08 7:03:55PM

Posted by three_days_of_grey

And thus the broadcast trio of Greg Gumbel, Dan Dierdorf, and Lesley Visser was born and thousands of mute buttons were pressed simultaneously across the world. Actually, John McEnroe is on the CBS sports payroll and would probably do well in Goldy-type role.
I dont see how CBS is happy with Shaws current ElixteXC productions. I thought the last Cage Rage event sucked more ass that a proctologist with a Shopvac. The ring announcer was horrible and I am not a fan of Mauro Renallo's voice. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.

-OUT-

LOL !!
JimiMak
3/11/08 9:39:32PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by rabbit915

But not better than the UFC team (bad as goldie is, Rogan is the best color guy out there for the sport) I can see why it was a sticking pt for UFC but not a promo that doesn't have a well gelled team yet.
Jipper
3/12/08 4:44:57AM
Hoping for Ranallo/Rutten combo. Anything is better than a Goldberg, Mike or Bill.
ToeZup
3/12/08 10:08:39AM

Posted by rabbit915

In my opinion the UFC was right to be protective of their broadcasting rights. Not everyone agrees with me but i think the UFC runs a very good broadcast and i think they need to worry about how their production looks the first time many people in america see it.

I on the other hand cannot stand the EliteXC production and had the TV on mute for most of their last event. They dont have much to lose as far as this goes.

You have been given props for that one my friend.
I agree, they did things right and they do run a great broadcast.
1st impressions are everything so like you said they need to worry about how their production looks the first time many people in america see it.
whardin19
3/12/08 3:12:07PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by rabbit915

Ha ha, that is so true!
Pitbull09
3/12/08 4:18:49PM
Yea, Im going to laugh when the announcer that knows nothing about mma say "ultimate fighting" accidently instead of mma. Thats exactly why UFC didnt get the HBO deal. They wanted to use their own announcers and broadcast team but it didnt go well with HBO.
joshjr
3/18/08 5:24:49AM

Posted by rabbit915

Well I thought that Bill Goldberg sucked for the Kimbo vs Tank fight to. I especially liked the part where he was asked about his training with Kimbo and he said can you feel it Mauro can you feel it and then never answered the question. Not saying that CBS announcers will be great but about anyone would be better then Goldberg.
Mayhem13
3/19/08 1:08:46AM
the fight card and detals for the first event (Cbs) will be announced tommorow.

but I am hearing strong rumors that Kimbo will be fighting.......

Warpath...

ehh..another very small step up...I guess...Warpath can take a few shots...thats one good thing
cmill21
3/19/08 1:42:33AM
Now maybe Quadros and Bas will be reunited in Dream! I was talking to quadros the other day and he said he was happy working for Elite, maybe now he'll be able to answer my question
Pookie
3/19/08 3:58:36PM
I think this is a good idea personally,

elitexc is porduced horribly IMO.

You have 500 go-go girls dancing non-stop doing half-baked choreography type stripped moves and in general taking away from the point of the broadcast - the fights.

Quadros tends to be incredibly biased IMO(Ex. Diaz vs. Aina) and goldberg well... is worse than the other goldberg. For all the same reasons but amplified in intensity.

Other than the fights, their broadcast is a gimmick, a joke. Im glad cbs is getting to put it together, and im sure XC was more that willing to give that away.