Carwin vs. Velasquez possible main event for UFC 103... Franklin vs Lidell rumored

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Carwin vs. Velasquez possible main event for UFC 103... Franklin vs Lidell rumored
Wolfenstein
6/24/09 3:28:34AM
A heavyweight contenders fight between prospects Shane Carwin and Cain Velasquez could serve as the co-main event for UFC 103 on September 19th in Dallas, sources have told Inside Fights.

Another fight that has been discussed internally is Chuck Liddell facing Rich Franklin.

link
Kpro
6/24/09 3:34:12AM
Probably planning the winner of Mir/Lesnar vs. the winner of Couture/Nogueira then if they're going to end up having Carwin/Cain get it over with before title shots.
Copenhagen
6/24/09 4:07:55AM
I always imagined they would put Chuck against Franklin. Fight would sell so easily. Hopefully Dana got off his "Chuck should retire" horse. Who cares if he is no longer title contender quality? He is a knockout puncher and exciting to watch.
Khaos
6/24/09 5:10:29AM
I would not pay for a PPV if Carwin-Velasquez was the main event, and it may just be me, but I think Chuck Liddell would be a step backwards for Franklin, give him Luiz Cane or something.
Aaronno9
6/24/09 6:13:08AM
Liddell Franklin would be a very intersting match. Youd have to give it to Rich on paper at this point imo, but he does get sloppy sometimes and leave his chin out, which could make for a short night against Liddell.
RearNakedJoke
6/24/09 7:01:25AM
franklin has more to lose than gain in this fight. if he knocks chuck out in the first round "chuck shouldnt be fighting he needs to retire". if he doesnt finish him early "rich sucks he couldnt even finish chuck" and if chuck wins thats another set back for rich on becoming a lhw contender.

if chuck wants to fight there are other names he could fight that are in similar positions as he is.
bojangalz
6/24/09 8:20:02AM
If you ask me it's too early for Cain/Carwin. I realize that they probably the two biggest rising stars in the UFC's HW division. But why not build them parallel from eachother. They've both got the skills to go very far in the division, but neither is a draw yet among causal fans.

It's going to take more then one countdown show to get these guys into the spotlight.

Furthermore, I think that while both Cain and Carwin have the goods to win this fight, I'm not sure it's best for Cain's career path to be given a title shot should he be the winner. He's still very young and has obvious improvments to make.

While Carwin is every bit the "prospect" that Cain is, he's about 10 years older. I'd rather they feed him an upper level HW (loser of Nog/Randy maybe). If he can win that, then send him up the latter to a title shot.

To me, if you run this match-up now you'll be derailing the career track of one of your top HW prospects regardless of who wins. I just think there's got to be better ways of determining the next round of contenders to the HW belt.
slappywhite
6/24/09 8:39:40AM
Carwin just issued a statement on Fiveouncesofpain that he is not scheduled to fight at UFC 103.

as well as some Brock ish.

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/06/23/shane-carwin-brock-lesnar-is-a-freaking-liar/
emfleek
6/24/09 8:43:25AM
As a fan of Chuck, I don't like the idea of him against Franklin at this point. I think he needs to be fed someone a little lower on the totem pole to get his confidence back. He may claim that he has all the confidence in the world, but I don't believe that one bit.
prozacnation1978
6/24/09 9:12:03AM
the ufc has no one else, feel sorry for dallas getting the columbus shaft

anyways i doubt lidell in dallas with los angeles in oct close to his home
lidell will face franklin in los angeles

carwin vs velasquez is a great co main event for number one title shot but no main event
there are just no options for dallas which is sad
i can't even come up with a quality main event,
whardin19
6/24/09 9:17:17AM

Posted by bojangalz

If you ask me it's too early for Cain/Carwin. I realize that they probably the two biggest rising stars in the UFC's HW division. But why not build them parallel from eachother. They've both got the skills to go very far in the division, but neither is a draw yet among causal fans.

It's going to take more then one countdown show to get these guys into the spotlight.

Furthermore, I think that while both Cain and Carwin have the goods to win this fight, I'm not sure it's best for Cain's career path to be given a title shot should he be the winner. He's still very young and has obvious improvments to make.

While Carwin is every bit the "prospect" that Cain is, he's about 10 years older. I'd rather they feed him an upper level HW (loser of Nog/Randy maybe). If he can win that, then send him up the latter to a title shot.

To me, if you run this match-up now you'll be derailing the career track of one of your top HW prospects regardless of who wins. I just think there's got to be better ways of determining the next round of contenders to the HW belt.

Why not put Carwin vs. Velasquez? I don't think theres any other options at this point. Who do they face if not each other? But if this is a main event it better be free on Spike. Because I'm not paying for that PPV unless its got a tremendous undercard.
Twenty20Dollars
6/24/09 11:01:15AM
If these fights do happen.

Carwin beats Cain

Rich beat Liddell by decision, with his kicks & stuff, like jardine beat chuck.
sparky
6/24/09 12:36:21PM
Winner of Cain/Carwin deserves a title shot and I want to see Chuck vs Rich real bad I called this as a fight right when they gave Rich the win over Wanderlei.

WAR CHUCK
RNC
6/24/09 1:05:37PM
Sadly, Liddell is not a step back for almost anyone. Regardless of the fact that he is past his prime, Liddell holds so much star power that a win over him seems to catapult you into instant title contention. Rashad put him away and got an instant title shot, and Shogun put him away and got the same thing. Liddell is not only a legend, but he is very close with the UFC and Dana White personally. So when you beat him, everytime, you seem to get rewarded.
MMAcca
6/25/09 5:58:01PM

Posted by bojangalz

Couldn't agree more. Seems like a total waste to me.
CwB
6/25/09 6:30:58PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by bojangalz

Couldn't agree more. Seems like a total waste to me.

my thoughts exactly