Carwin, Velasquez, or Dos Santos?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Carwin, Velasquez, or Dos Santos?
IriShame
2/8/09 8:27:54PM
Which UFC Heavyweight prospect will have the biggest impact on the heavyweight division?

Dos Santos has the biggest win so far with his KO of Werdum, Carwin is probably the most ready right now with a big bout with Gonzaga on the horizon, and Velasquez could be the best of the bunch. Who do you think will we be talking about 5 years from now as an elite heavyweight?
bls1919
2/8/09 8:44:24PM
I will say Cain Velasquez. He is a brute and has skills to match. I need to see a little bit more of Dos Santos before I pass judgement. If Santos wins against Struve I think Joe Silva will pair Cain and Junior together, would be a great match up. I hate to put down Carwin as he is 10-0 and puts on a great show. But his best yrs might be behind him. He can make money and great fights as of now but 5 yrs from now he will be almost 40. Maybe he can prove me wrong and fight for a title though, anything can happen WAR CARWIN against GG
prozacnation1978
2/8/09 8:55:13PM
,my money is on cain i do think that he will face dos santos or carwin next if both guys or either one wins their fight
haggiswashere
2/8/09 8:56:27PM
Cain all the way. That dude is awesome and always puts on a show. Future Champ!
jiujitsufreak74
2/8/09 9:02:53PM
i am tempted to pick Cain because of his youth, but as for immediate impact i think the answer is Carwin.

some facts on Carwin:

He was a talented NFL prospect
Nate Marquardt has said he has one of the best GnP at HW
3 time All American wrestler and 2 time All American football player
Back injury prevented him from joining the NFL
Division II National Champion wrestler
Purple belt in BJJ under Nate Marquardt
He has 11 total minutes of professional fighting experience since he neds all of his fights rather quickly
Randy Couture is using him as a tool to train for Lesnar

the man is as big as Lesnar with better technical striking. he is also more composed and knows how to finish when he has his opponent hurt. i think he is going to beat Gonzaga in their up coming match and go on to do great things in this division.

the only problem is Carwin is 34 years old so i don't think he will be dominant 5 years from now.
loller90278
2/8/09 9:27:51PM
stefan struve will make the most impact in the long term
Wolfenstein
2/8/09 9:39:34PM
Cain Velasquez probably has the most upside, and he's also probably the most well rounded of the three. I've watched all of Dos Santos's fights, and while he has huge potential, I still think he needs to round out his ground game (which isn't bad) to become a well rounded fighter. Shane is probably the best of the three right now, but time isn't on his side. It's difficult to gauge exactly where he's at until we see him fight for more than a couple minutes.
Jackelope
2/8/09 10:07:21PM
I'd like to see Cain Velasquez pack on another solid 10 or 15 lbs. of muscle. If Cain Velasquez became a solid and ripped 250 I'd say no one stands a chance against him.

As it stands now I feel like the future of HW's in MMA are big, huge, athletic guys. Shane Carwin fits the bill nicely right now. I'd like to see him relax a bit more in the standup, and of course time is working against him, but at this point I have to agree with JJFreak in saying he is furthest along right now.

Dos Santos is skilled, don't get me wrong, but he lacks the solid wrestling base that I believe will be required in the future of very large HW's. I think he'll make some waves no doubt, but that no champion in any weight class can last long without either a great ground game off their back or a good wrestling game to make sure they don't end up there.
EvenFlow
2/8/09 10:11:25PM
Even though Carwin and Cain each have 2 and 3 impressive TKO wins, Junior's 1 win against the REAL number 1 contender (at the time) in Werdum was by far the most significant and eye opening.

Based on striking alone, no contest its Junior's world and I think he'll make a huge impact as well as Cain. If Junior can keep it standing I doubt anyone can beat him, but he needs to work on things. I like Cain's striking but something tells me that wouldnt last against strikers and he'd shoot for a double leg faster than Jesse Owens in Germany.

Based on the full package I'd say Gonzaga vs Carwin will answer a big question of whos ahead in the HW division right now, Cain or Carwin. I see Carwin losing but if he wins this #1 contender fight hes probably next for Mir/Lesnar. Kongo's name shouldnt be anywhere near the phrase "title shot"
Twenty20Dollars
2/8/09 10:19:36PM
Cain or carwin will have a bigger impact than dos santos, who will be beat at ufc 95
virginiatech
2/8/09 11:22:16PM
Velasquez > Carwin > Dos Santos..

I need to see more of Dos Santos in order to move him up in my ranks.

If Carwin tools GG like I'm hoping he will he'll definitely get a bump in front of Cain in my book.
Franklinfan47
2/9/09 8:45:54AM
At this point in time, it looks like Cain will be the biggest star in the years to come. Just a hunch. His striking and wrestling is awesome and the sky's the limit for him. However, Dos Santos and Carwin certainly have the potential to be just as great.
Aaronno9
2/9/09 9:23:14AM
Just to echo a few views already expressed, Id say at this point its Carwin, since he has decent experience, and, well, the mans a monster. His fight with GG will show alot in terms of how far he can go in the time hes got left fighting, becouse youth isnt on his side. Something which cant be said of Cain, which is why id pick him in the long run. He should bulk up a little imo, but hes got massive skills, and a long time to keep improving, plus hes already at a top camp. Id say he'll be almost unstoppable if he gets a little bigger.

As for Santos, well I havent seen enough of him to be able to accurately predict how well hes going to do. I mean, it looks like hes got it all, hes a big guy, good striking, solid power, and I can only imagine his ground game is ever improving training with the nog brothers. Like Shane, I think his next fight will show alot, becouse Struve is awesome, and if the rumors are true that hes packed on another 20 pounds hes going to be a force in the divison. I mean, what is he like 6'9 or something? So hes going to have huge reach, plus hes got an awesome ground game. So you could add him to this list for now, and then remove the looser after the fight, for the time being at least.
wiggum
2/9/09 10:20:39AM

Posted by EvenFlow

Even though Carwin and Cain each have 2 and 3 impressive TKO wins, Junior's 1 win against the REAL number 1 contender (at the time) in Werdum was by far the most significant and eye opening.

Based on striking alone, no contest its Junior's world and I think he'll make a huge impact as well as Cain. If Junior can keep it standing I doubt anyone can beat him, but he needs to work on things. I like Cain's striking but something tells me that wouldnt last against strikers and he'd shoot for a double leg faster than Jesse Owens in Germany.

Based on the full package I'd say Gonzaga vs Carwin will answer a big question of whos ahead in the HW division right now, Cain or Carwin. I see Carwin losing but if he wins this #1 contender fight hes probably next for Mir/Lesnar. Kongo's name shouldnt be anywhere near the phrase "title shot"

tried to give ya props gots to spread the love

im glad to finally hear that kongos name shouldnt be anywhere near title shot, in my opionon he hasnt earned it, even in a shallow weight class ....hes impressively dismantle two cans and before that loss to heath herring

like ya said, gonzaga-carwin should answer a lot of questions.....the thing is we just havent seen alot out of these three that can really tell you were they stand.....hows theyre cardio? do they break mentally? hows theyre chin?....we all know they got the skills.....we are gonna learn alot about carwin in his next fight, but id like to see them step up the competition for the other two........that being said, i think cain has the most promise....great wrestling, good power, cardio seems good cuz he gave to that guy for two rounds and didnt seem to slow...plus i was really impressed by his striking, put things together nicely (escpially for his experience level).....they cant coddle him for too much longer tho otherwise im gonna get bored (ha).....carwin as long as he doenst land that big right on gg, i think is gonna get a bit exposed...not that they hype isnt real, he definitly has the talent, but i think hes gonna be the type to have cardio issues and after watching some of his fights, he doesnt really like to get hit, he seems to break concentration and thats a big no-no at this level....santos striking is real and the werdum ko was awesome, but that was just one minute worth of action and a perfectly timed punch.....lots of questions that cant be answered by youtubing his fights are hows the chin? can he still strike while sprawling, and cardio........even tho he just fought werdum, it only showed us he can strike, so as with cain, he needs to step up the competition as well
gartface
2/9/09 12:14:23PM

Posted by loller90278

Dude is going to be a force. I will gladly take my +2 against Dos Santos.
theguido
2/9/09 12:47:11PM
Carwin is my pick out of the 3.

I also feel that Lesnar will be a force for a while to he's still learning.
higdon10
2/9/09 4:36:29PM
Velasquez all day. The future of the HW division is bright!!!
loller90278
2/9/09 5:41:37PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by loller90278

give him a year or two to gain some muscle mass and he'll be a beast. i think he'll sub dos santos though
nickcuc547
2/9/09 6:31:34PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by loller90278

i was thinking the same thing but i think people are starting to catch on, he doesn't have the underdog bonus anymore, kind of disappointed because i think everybody is jumping the gun on dos santos, another sokodjou??
fullerene
2/9/09 6:46:21PM
Right now they are all just prospects in my mind, but Carwin might make him a contender with a win over Gonzaga. If he gets that win, I'll rate him #1 of the group. Until then it's Velasquez.

Velasquez is younger and has the better wrestling pedigree (Div I all-american 3 years ago vs Div II all-american 12 years ago). I also think he's with the better training team. But all that gets trumped by MMA wins and a win over Gonzaga is a bigger accomplishment than anything Velasquez has done.

Don't know where to put Dos Santos. He already has a win over a top 10 HW (Werdum), but he won by expoxing Werdum's top 100 standup ability. So far he has only fought Brazilians and until I see him against an American wrestler and a European kickboxer it's tough to know whether he is great or just a great style matchup against one particular type of fighter.
MMA
2/10/09 9:18:56AM
All 3 are still unproven yet so it is hard to decide. Even though Dos Santos knocked out Werdum, he's only had 1 fight in the heavyweight division. I'll have to see how he does in his next fight. Therefore I have to go with Cain since he's been the most impressive to me.
tmas
2/12/09 8:33:36AM
Simple answer
Carwin is carwon.

Cain will be LHW within the next 5 years,
DOs Santos will be a gatekeeper
gsquat
2/12/09 11:02:41AM
Cain is hands down the most impressive in skills. Dos Santos scored a big KO over Werdum... but thats all we really have on him. I'm not at all sold on Dos Santos and actually have him losing at 95. Carwin is dangerous because of his size. We've seen Gonzaga have trouble with bigger opponents and just crumble under pressure (Werdum). So, all in all, Cain is the guy to watch out for. He was super impressive last Saturday. And maybe even more impressive was Stojnic's ability to take punishment.
bjj1605
2/12/09 1:52:14PM
Cain seems a little small, not sure if he could make LHW. But other than that he's very exciting.

Carwin is a beast, we'll get answers when he fights gonzaga.

I predict Dos Santos is a flash in the pan like Houston Alexander or Soko. He won't do much if anything, i predict he'll loose his next fight.

So ya... Carwin>Cain>Other Good Fighters>B Level Fighters>Dos Santos.