Carlos Condit vs. Some UFC Welterweights?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Carlos Condit vs. Some UFC Welterweights?
imanidiot777
2/19/08 10:47:03PM
What do you think would happen if Carlos Condit were to fight some of the best UFC welterweights? Personally I think Condit has a very complete game and could be someone like Koscheck or Diego Sanchez. Not sure what would happen against the very top like St. Pierre, Hughes or Serra. What do you think?
Franklinfan47
2/19/08 10:58:50PM
Not too sure on this one. I think he would lose to guys like GSP or Hughes but I agree that he could probably hang with Diego and Kos like you said. It would be interesting to see.
tuvok500
2/19/08 11:03:11PM
Well, i think Condit would find himself on the losing side of the fight over and over again.

I think Sanchez is even too much for him.

Condit looked very good against guys who were not very skilled, no matter how we look at it, nobody in the top 8 to 10 UFC WW would fall in a trap like a choke and not find a way to get out, i mean Fitch was in a choke similar of the last choke of Condit when he fought Sanchez and he kept working and eventually get out and beat Sanchez, he was even in a full triangle choke and he escaped !!

Condit never face a guy who is willing to fight his way out instead of tapping in 2 sec .

I think Condit still need to improve to have a realistic chance of doing good in the UFC.

Kpro
2/19/08 11:20:01PM
On any given night, Condit could beat any WW in the UFC with his active guard and excellent stand-up.

I think he'd immediately propel himself up the ranks, and other than GSP/Fitch/Serra, I wouldn't consider him an underdog against anyone. I think he's at the same level as the Kos/Karo group, meaning he takes 5 of 10 from them. And I think he takes 7 of 10 from Diego.

I'm still more interested in seeing Shields in there than Condit though.
wolfman
2/19/08 11:20:40PM

Posted by tuvok500

Well, i think Condit would find himself on the losing side of the fight over and over again.

I think Sanchez is even too much for him.

Condit looked very good against guys who were not very skilled, no matter how we look at it, nobody in the top 8 to 10 UFC WW would fall in a trap like a choke and not find a way to get out, i mean Fitch was in a choke similar of the last choke of Condit when he fought Sanchez and he kept working and eventually get out and beat Sanchez, he was even in a full triangle choke and he escaped !!

Condit never face a guy who is willing to fight his way out instead of tapping in 2 sec .

I think Condit still need to improve to have a realistic chance of doing good in the UFC.

I agree that some of the fighters in the top ten would give Carlos a hard time, yet I think you are wrong when you say he looked very good against guys who were not very skilled. Finishing Carlo Prater, Brock Larson, Frank Trigg, and John Alessio is pretty impressive imo. These fighters aren't the cream of the crop, yet they are very talented. He also finished three of these guys in the first round, that is impressive in itself.

EDIT: Also, speaking of Diego, he took Alessio to decision. Alessio put up a hell of a fight too. Yes, that is the same Alessio who got submitted by....Carlos Condit.
roger
2/19/08 11:25:27PM
i don't think he has what it takes to be in the UFC
imanidiot777
2/19/08 11:27:11PM

Posted by roger

The man was first known for his incredible stand up game and his good power and now he's submitted his last 3 or 4 opponents? Don't quote me on that number though. That's a very complete game and although the fighters he beat are not St. Pierre level guys, they weren't slouches.
wolfman
2/19/08 11:27:27PM

Posted by roger

Please elaborate...

rabbit915
2/20/08 12:16:33AM
I think Condit has the perfect skill set to take down wrestlers and GNP types like Kos and Diego. If they try to take him down he is very dangerous from his back. So their only other option is to try and stand with him where he is one of the best strikers in the division. That makes him very tough to beat by anyone who cant out-do him in one of those two areas.
CornishMMA
2/20/08 8:16:14AM
Its so hard to say, i think he would beat Diego but the rest would be very tough for him

No chance against Fitch or GSP, they are simply better at everything
cj_striker
2/20/08 10:09:16AM
Condit is a very dangerous fighter, very skilled in everything, completely well rounded. Those long limbs help him so much, because he knows how to take advantage of them standing or on the ground. So I know he could compete in the UFC and have some wins over the lower top ten WW. IMO Condit needs to go to the UFC to prove to himself he is or could be a top ten WW in the world. I feel he definitely has a chance to compete with the likes of Diego, Davis, Swick, Burkman, Lytle, even Kos and Serra. He may have awhile before he can beat a Hughes, Fitch, or GSP, but I feel he'd definitely even make those guys work for a win. Condit is no joke and if he does move to the UFC, which I definitely could see happening, people will find that out.
cowcatcher
2/20/08 10:12:12AM
im not sure condit doesnt have a chance against any of the top WWs in the ufc, including fitch and gsp. he has a very complete game and the attitiude you want a fighter to have. anyone that can fight well off of their back is a tough matchup for most of the ufcs top WWs because wrestling is the primary strength of most of them. toss in his above average striking with both arms and legs and hes not someone any ufc fighter can go in there and walk through.
AchillesHeel
2/20/08 11:33:13AM
Keep in mind that Condit is only 23 years old (he turns 24 in April). He's 1-1/2 years younger than Karo Parisyan, 3 years younger than Georges St. Pierre and Diego Sanchez, 7 years younger than Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch, 10 years younger than Matt Serra, and 11 years younger than Matt Hughes. He could defend his WEC belt 6 more times, then move up to the UFC and still be one of the younger fighters in the division.

So a better question might be, "Can the UFC handle Carlos Condit in 2011?"
imanidiot777
2/20/08 11:55:36AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Keep in mind that Condit is only 23 years old (he turns 24 in April). He's 1-1/2 years younger than Karo Parisyan, 3 years younger than Georges St. Pierre and Diego Sanchez, 7 years younger than Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch, 10 years younger than Matt Serra, and 11 years younger than Matt Hughes. He could defend his WEC belt 6 more times, then move up to the UFC and still be one of the younger fighters in the division.

So a better question might be, "Can the UFC handle Carlos Condit in 2011?"

Good point, personally I don't think all the names you mentioned could handle him now. St Pierre, Serra, Fitch, and Hughes probably but not so sure about Koscheck and Sanchez.
whardin19
2/20/08 2:08:36PM
I think he'd be a title contender in the UFC. I know some of you will think I'm crazy. But this kid has got what it takes to contend with the best competition. I have been becoming a fan of Condits for sometime now. I've watched his last three fights now and he just impresses me more and more each time. I would definetally like to see him in the UFC and if you want to see if he's real throw him in there with Koscheck or Hazlett right off the bat.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
2/22/08 2:01:32AM
Zuffa should try and match Condit up with some of the best fighters out there not already in the UFC. I know Zuffa doesn't like to cross promote but Condit should take on some of the elite xc guys "Daily, Alvarez, Shields, or Fickett.", heck they could cross promote Condit with guys like Hieron or Nick Diaz. Or they could attempt to get either Miller, Trigg, Lawler, or Riggs to drop down to welterweight once more.

Either way unless they bump Condit up...he can go nowhere.
NatedawgThaM
2/22/08 2:23:20AM
Karo would outwork him, Hughes & Kos would GNP/LNP him, Fitch and Diego would absolutely murder him. Talk about two wrecking machines coming at you non stop

GSP would murder him since there the exact same type of fighter except GSP is ten times better using the long limbs to his advantage and such.

He could sub Davis, Alves, and probablly even Swick and Burkman. But when it comes to the elite and proven WW's: Karo, Diego, Kos, GSP, and Fitch, I would never even dare to pick him.

Tein_Lung
2/22/08 7:29:04AM
Keep in mind whats better for your own persona, to say you are a top 10 WW in the UFC or the WEC WW champion.... personaly givin the option WEC champ sounds better then top 10 WW in the UFC
cowcatcher
2/22/08 11:18:03AM

Posted by Tein_Lung

Keep in mind whats better for your own persona, to say you are a top 10 WW in the UFC or the WEC WW champion.... personaly givin the option WEC champ sounds better then top 10 WW in the UFC

if youre fine with mediocrity and dont strive to be the best at what you do then youre right, otherwise youre talking out of your you know what. guys that are in combat sports at the highest level and do it as a profession have the desire to be the best not just get a title in a smaller promotion and say "well i did ok, i guess ive accomplished all i can". the more i read your post the more ridiculous it looks, im hoping you were being sarcastic, if not i dont know what to tell you.....hope you get promoted to middle management and stay there for 30 years because thats good enough for you i guess.
JWils
2/22/08 1:02:25PM
Condit would be a big threat in the UFC WW division, IMO.

His guard is really, really good so he would be a big threat to the likes of Hughes, Karo, Fitch, & Kos. He would probably get most of those guys in very dangerous submission attempts. The question I would have is if he would have enough power to sink the submissions in.

Even against GSP, I would give him a decent chance. I don't know for sure, but I would assume he would have a reach advantage against GSP. Condit is around 6'2 so his tall lanky frame might give him a CHANCE in the stand up.

I am a believer in Condit. I think he can hang with anyone at WW.

CactusBob
2/24/08 11:05:40AM
He would definatly be in the upper ranks of the UFC WW devision, but all the top guys there are grapplers who are damn tough to submit. No need to mention names as they have all been said, but every one of the top WW's in the UFC have strong grappling.
Condit would provide problems for guys like Koscheck who are not known for submissions, but I sitll think that fight would end in decision for Koscheck. GSP would run through Condit, even possibly finish him. I would bet money one day that we will see Condit move into the UFC. What I would like to see is for Condit to pack on some muscle and make that a move to the UFC MW devision.
jiujitsufreak74
2/24/08 11:11:14AM
Condit needs to beat shields before i say he could crack the UFC top 10. shields is the only real competition similar to a UFC top 10 WW and until he beats shields or takes him to a split decision then i can't see him doing too well in the UFC. i feel that he will have a hard time against all guys in the top 10, including alves and davis. i honestly don't think he would be able to sub them and both of them have the stand up to finish him and the sub/take down defense to not get submitted. he is still unproven in my eyes, and like i said until he beats shields i wouldn't mark him down to beat a top 10 WW just yet. he definitely has the skills on paper, but i am not sure how it would play out in real life.