Cardio Training

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Cardio Training
Ultimate_fighter
5/23/07 1:06:07AM
I run 1.5 miles on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays

... i was wondering how long u guys run and wat other exercises do u guys do?.... I want my cardio, and i am still young, so i wanna work on it hard for when i get into fighting,,,
bayonetxwork
5/23/07 2:56:39PM
To be completely honest with you, 1.5 miles really isn't that much, although you are doing it a lot, so thats good. I run about 2-3 miles for a warm up before going into my normal strength routine.

Heres what I do, I posted it in the other cardio thread as well:

1 round:
1-30 sec. burpees
2-30 sec. jab/cross/sprawl
3-30 sec. jump squats
4-30 sec. plyo pushups
5-30 sec. shadow boxing (hands only)
6-30 sec. shadow boxing (punches & kicks)

Its set up to work cardio, timing, speed, etc, and works your entire body. To get more results, do more rounds, more reps, or even up the time per category.
fedorwins1
5/23/07 4:00:30PM
Long runs are overrated, in a fight you don't go the same pace for a long period of time, so why run a long time at a slow pace? In a fight it's fast paced for a few minutes then a rest in between a round, it isn't the same speed/pace the whole time. I do some 50's, 100's and 200's with a few seconds rest in between for my cardio. I'm not the only one who does this either, GSP does sprints and Liddell will run at a moderate pace and then sprint for a few hundred feet and then go back to the moderate pace and the sprint again.
Mastodon2
5/23/07 4:31:24PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Long runs are overrated, in a fight you don't go the same pace for a long period of time, so why run a long time at a slow pace? In a fight it's fast paced for a few minutes then a rest in between a round, it isn't the same speed/pace the whole time. I do some 50's, 100's and 200's with a few seconds rest in between for my cardio. I'm not the only one who does this either, GSP does sprints and Liddell will run at a moderate pace and then sprint for a few hundred feet and then go back to the moderate pace and the sprint again.

Yep, exactly what I was saying in the boxing thread last night, and now to quote myself

"Fartlek (Swedish for "Speed play" I think) involves mixing up sprinting, running, slow jogging and walking, designed to push your body in and out of the Cardio exercise zone (60% of Max heart rate) and in and out of the Anaerobic zone (80-93% MHR).

It differs from interval training in that you vary the speed randomly, rather than in a pattern. By doing it randomly, you make your bodies "gear shift" more effective, rather than interval training, where your body can move to the rhythm easier.

Fartlek training is useful for fighters because in a fight the pace can change rapidly, from very slow to very fast and you cant always control the pace, so Fartlek training helps your body to get ready for the shift. "
bayonetxwork
5/23/07 4:48:43PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Your exactly right, but for the 2 miles I run, I run hills, sprint hills, and do normal sprints. And regardless of whether it is applicable to the fight scene, running long distance will still help you reach a higher cardio level.
-Virus-
5/26/07 7:55:38PM
I personally switch between long distance running 3 miles, and sprinting but the thing i like best for cardio is skipping because i find it more exciting cause i do tricks when i skip, i lose interest on running usually unless i go with someone else
Svartorm
5/27/07 2:57:24AM
I've got bad knees and a bum ankle, so I use an eliptical machine for my cardio. I do an hour and increase the level of resistance over the course of a few weeks until I can do an hour at level ten or higher and keep it over 80 RPM.
ac_gi
5/31/07 1:27:45AM

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by fedorwins1

Yep, exactly what I was saying in the boxing thread last night, and now to quote myself

"Fartlek (Swedish for "Speed play" I think) involves mixing up sprinting, running, slow jogging and walking, designed to push your body in and out of the Cardio exercise zone (60% of Max heart rate) and in and out of the Anaerobic zone (80-93% MHR).

It differs from interval training in that you vary the speed randomly, rather than in a pattern. By doing it randomly, you make your bodies "gear shift" more effective, rather than interval training, where your body can move to the rhythm easier.

Fartlek training is useful for fighters because in a fight the pace can change rapidly, from very slow to very fast and you cant always control the pace, so Fartlek training helps your body to get ready for the shift. "

Right on. Long distance running is overrated, unless you want to be and look like a marathon runner. I don't, and that type of cardio has minimal impact on grappling and MMA.
bayonetxwork
5/31/07 8:22:16PM

Posted by ac_gi
Right on. Long distance running is overrated, unless you want to be and look like a marathon runner. I don't, and that type of cardio has minimal impact on grappling and MMA.

I still don't think running is overrated. Your right it doesn't fit directly in with the combat sports, but running can still maximize your cardio if you know how to use it correctly. As long as you monitor yourself, and use a stopwatch, it can be very useful. I run about 2-3 minutes with my heart rate at 75-90% MHR, then with a minute cool down to try to as close as you can to your resting HR. This doubles the effect because you are keeping your HR in the cardio building zone for majority of the time, and you are also training your body to recover quickly ala inbetween rounds. Who ever said you can't combine fairtlek training or whatever into long distance? Most people think of long distance running as a grind of low intensity, but technically if you combine the 2 aspects of building cardio you can be pretty surprised on how much it can improve your health.

While I realize that intense grappling/wrestling/whatever can be more beneficial to the fight aspect, you can still maximize your gain if you incorporate long distance running into your workouts.

Just my opinion. I'm a 16 year old, and not a nutritionist/personal trainer. Just based on my training in my past.
ac_gi
6/1/07 12:49:24AM

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by ac_gi

I still don't think running is overrated. Your right it doesn't fit directly in with the combat sports, but running can still maximize your cardio if you know how to use it correctly. As long as you monitor yourself, and use a stopwatch, it can be very useful. I run about 2-3 minutes with my heart rate at 75-90% MHR, then with a minute cool down to try to as close as you can to your resting HR. This doubles the effect because you are keeping your HR in the cardio building zone for majority of the time, and you are also training your body to recover quickly ala inbetween rounds. Who ever said you can't combine fairtlek training or whatever into long distance? Most people think of long distance running as a grind of low intensity, but technically if you combine the 2 aspects of building cardio you can be pretty surprised on how much it can improve your health.

While I realize that intense grappling/wrestling/whatever can be more beneficial to the fight aspect, you can still maximize your gain if you incorporate long distance running into your workouts.

Just my opinion. I'm a 16 year old, and not a nutritionist/personal trainer. Just based on my training in my past.

Yeah, I'm talking about long distance marathon style of cardio. I'm down with interval training.
Mastodon2
6/1/07 9:09:24AM
Interval training is less effective than Fartlek training, because your body very quickly gets into the intervals rhythm, the random nature of Fartlek prevents any predictability, which is better for the shift up or down - in a fight, you cant always control the pace you will be working at, and Fartlek training is the same