Cardio

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Cardio
Shawn91111
4/20/09 7:27:44PM
What are some good ways to boost up your cardio?
seanfu
4/20/09 10:16:34PM
Run... lol.

The absolute best cardio training I ever did was circuit training.

That is usually a combo of running weight lifting calisthetics (? sp) sprinting etc you get it.

Stairs build the hell out of cadio. Pushing cars.

Any kind of hellish sustained workout you can think of will probably do well.

Once you build a really high cardio usually it's all about how you ration your legs and body to workouts. For instance, you can't go and do sprints, then go push a car, then run stairs, and expect to do endurence runs the next day.

If you push yourself harder and not smarter you will overtrain. You will peak and then burn out. Or maybe just burnout.

So my best advice is use common sense and change **** up constantly.
bigbubbano23
4/20/09 10:46:52PM
short high intensity workouts are best, distance running will not really help with cardio for mma, mainly becasue it is low intensity and easy to build an endurance to. suicides are amazing for the short burst of energy used when traped in the gurad or moving to a better position.
Jackelope
4/21/09 12:40:40AM
Although MMA is technically more anaerobic than aerobic, you do still need to incorporate distance running or some other form of long sustained medium high heart rate activity.

I won't give you a specific workout because there's a million to choose from, but I will say that you need a healthy mixture of both. For amateur matches you'll need mostly anaerobic cardio (the short burst type) since usually there are 3 rounds of 3 min. You will generally have a high intensity match for that short period of time, and since you are probably inexperienced you will have to manage the naturally high heart rate you're going to have going into the fight. The reason why aerobic cardio helps you in these situations is because it actually greatly improves your recovery in between rounds. Guys who only train anaerobic cardio can burst really good, but they burn out and don't get those second winds.

Something like a short (15-20 minutes) high intensity anaerobic cardio set 4 or 5 days a week will be all you need in an amateur match as long as you supplement it with a couple of long (45min-1hr) aerobic exercises like 5 or 6 mile runs per week.

There are some formulas I could break down for you if you really want, but basically you want to be working in those anaerobic sets at close to maximum heart rate with short rest periods. When you do the aerobic sets you need to be sitting between 60-80% maximum heart rate for the entire time with no rest periods.

Circuit training with different stations is good for anaerobic.
Shawn91111
4/21/09 1:47:29AM
The thing is I can run 5-6 miles no problem but i dont do it very fast. Is sprinting a need as far as running to build up your cardio
Jackelope
4/21/09 9:38:52AM
How fast is not very fast? More importantly, do you know your MHR and what % of it you're running at? Like I said.. if needed I can give you a formula to find out your target heart rates if you want.

Sprinting is definitely a good thing to build up your cardio, if you want to incorporate some sprinting in a fartlek style run that could be good. Basically just run at a regular pace, and then every couple of minutes (once every 3 or so) up your intensity for about 30 seconds to a minute. This will peak your heart rate mid-run and then get you used to slowing your heart rate back down while still exercising. Just make sure you don't get worn out at 20 minutes and have to quit. You need to do this kind of cardio for a long time. Of course, don't kill yourself doing it either.
artofdefense
4/21/09 10:50:19AM

Posted by Jackelope

Although MMA is technically more anaerobic than aerobic, you do still need to incorporate distance running or some other form of long sustained medium high heart rate activity.

I won't give you a specific workout because there's a million to choose from, but I will say that you need a healthy mixture of both. For amateur matches you'll need mostly anaerobic cardio (the short burst type) since usually there are 3 rounds of 3 min. You will generally have a high intensity match for that short period of time, and since you are probably inexperienced you will have to manage the naturally high heart rate you're going to have going into the fight. The reason why aerobic cardio helps you in these situations is because it actually greatly improves your recovery in between rounds. Guys who only train anaerobic cardio can burst really good, but they burn out and don't get those second winds.

Something like a short (15-20 minutes) high intensity anaerobic cardio set 4 or 5 days a week will be all you need in an amateur match as long as you supplement it with a couple of long (45min-1hr) aerobic exercises like 5 or 6 mile runs per week.

There are some formulas I could break down for you if you really want, but basically you want to be working in those anaerobic sets at close to maximum heart rate with short rest periods. When you do the aerobic sets you need to be sitting between 60-80% maximum heart rate for the entire time with no rest periods.

Circuit training with different stations is good for anaerobic.

Doesn't matter how far you run, it's how hard. If on cardio days, particularly getting ready for fights, you don't push yourself hard enough to puke, then you need to push harder.

Run sprint/jog intervals for 15-25 mins a day. Sprint 30 secs jog 1 min.

As an added bonus, keep your hands up guarding your face while you run. It will get you used to staying composed while exhausted.
Jackelope
4/21/09 11:54:12AM
It certainly does matter how far you run. Not for the distance, but for the sustained heart rate. The goal shouldn't be distance, it should be time in aerobic exercise. (which is why even though I used jogging as an example you don't have to do only that. There are plenty of aerobic options) If you're pushing yourself to the point that you puke you're working in a very high heart rate range, which is good to do, but it shouldn't be your only goal. Anyone who thinks puking every day is a good thing needs to get their brain checked because not only are you risking gastrointestinal problems, but you're clearly overworking yourself.

I honestly see a lot of recommendations here that sound like they're coming from the perspective of people who may work hard, but probably don't have the greatest education on the subject. Take it from someone who is experienced and has an education to back it up. You will need both aerobic and anaerobic cardio, and anyone who thinks you can get away with working just anaerobically is fooling themselves and naively taking you down with them. You may enjoy success in the short run, but once you get drawn out over time in a long match you will be wishing you'd worked aerobically, too.

Let me once again make one thing very, very clear. There is aerobic cardio, and there is anaerobic cardio. The two are completely different, but you need both for MMA.