cardio

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » cardio
danny81
1/23/08 8:25:46PM
alright im stuck in cardio room during gym i have to rotate between bike, treadmill and eliptical
should i do HIIT on these or just regular pace. im trying to burn fat and get better cardio for wrestling, boxing, mma etc.
loonytnt
1/23/08 11:28:18PM
id do some wrestling, boxing, mma, runnin is good to but the only way to get better cardio is to do what you want to get better
KeNn
1/24/08 12:33:23AM
The guy above me was half right....Like the saying goes "Fighters fight, runners Run"

but I mean a bike sesh, never hurt no one. It will increase your cardio, and might be easier on your legs then running.
Rush
1/24/08 9:34:40AM
If you want to burn fat you need to have your heart rate in the 55-60% max rate zone (something around that). You need to be in aerobic mode and stay there.

Working out in this zone will help you burn fat, and will be good for your heart, but it is not considered a "cardio" workout. For cardio you need to go up to 70-80% max rate.

You max rate depends on your age. A common equation is 220 - age = 100% heart rate. But this is to be taken with a grain of salt.

Now, these are the textboook heart rates for fat burn and cardio. I personally find the "cardio" range a joke and work steadily at a higher rate for my cardio. I focus on taking deeper and longer breaths when working cardio. I do that to train my body to take in more oxygen (kind of like hyperventilating). I usually maintain a rate of 180 bpm for at least 15 min. (this is according to the rate monitors on the bike/trainer which should also be taken with a grain of salt.) I do not recommend doing this if you are just starting out. A good rule of thumb is that if you can carry on a reasonable conversation with someone (while working out) then your heart and lungs are ok.

For running, I run outside. I find that treadmills and elliptical trainers are really boring and do not help with actual running. I don't own a bike so I do use the stationary bikes after my workout.

All in all, if you are really interested in improving your cardio (for real) then you should get a heart monitor and start running or biking.

I am a runner myself and I will say that running is only rough on your legs if you are not doing it properly or are not wearing the proper footwear.

No offence to KeNn, but I do not believe that running will not help your cardio for fighting. In my personal experience, my running gives me unmatched cardio with pretty much any one I have rolled. However, running will not necessarily develop the muscles needed for fighting (save your heart).

That was a lot of info. I hope it helps.
fullerene
1/24/08 9:57:54AM
Make a list of professional boxers and kickboxers or college wrestling programs that don't have running as part of their training routine and the list will consist of James Toney.

And he's pretty uniquely skilled, so I wouldn't count on being like him. Swimming, bike riding, jumping rope, etc are all decent alternatives, but there's nothing wrong with running. tt's an old and proven way to build cardio and lose weight that doesn't require any special equipment or facility.
StevenSeagal
1/24/08 10:06:49AM

Posted by Rush

If you want to burn fat you need to have your heart rate in the 55-60% max rate zone (something around that). You need to be in aerobic mode and stay there.

Working out in this zone will help you burn fat, and will be good for your heart, but it is not considered a "cardio" workout. For cardio you need to go up to 70-80% max rate.

You max rate depends on your age. A common equation is 220 - age = 100% heart rate. But this is to be taken with a grain of salt.

Now, these are the textboook heart rates for fat burn and cardio. I personally find the "cardio" range a joke and work steadily at a higher rate for my cardio. I focus on taking deeper and longer breaths when working cardio. I do that to train my body to take in more oxygen (kind of like hyperventilating). I usually maintain a rate of 180 bpm for at least 15 min. (this is according to the rate monitors on the bike/trainer which should also be taken with a grain of salt.) I do not recommend doing this if you are just starting out. A good rule of thumb is that if you can carry on a reasonable conversation with someone (while working out) then your heart and lungs are ok.

For running, I run outside. I find that treadmills and elliptical trainers are really boring and do not help with actual running. I don't own a bike so I do use the stationary bikes after my workout.

All in all, if you are really interested in improving your cardio (for real) then you should get a heart monitor and start running or biking.

I am a runner myself and I will say that running is only rough on your legs if you are not doing it properly or are not wearing the proper footwear.

No offence to KeNn, but I do not believe that running will not help your cardio for fighting. In my personal experience, my running gives me unmatched cardio with pretty much any one I have rolled. However, running will not necessarily develop the muscles needed for fighting (save your heart).

That was a lot of info. I hope it helps.

Agree. To add to this. just switch it up HIIT and slow and low type... The more O2 movin the better. You can even do different variations of HIIT. The usual way is balls out for a min, recoup for a min... but I've read and done balls out 1-2 mins. rest for 1-2 mins. Play around with it. There is more gray area between fat loss and aerobic than u think. Get some good simple carbs and pro after ur workout and dont worry about it. Like I said in prior posts, get going on what Rush and I said and tweak from there. Its impossible to just find a template and have it work 100% out of the gate. Good luck dude
danny81
1/24/08 6:32:08PM
iight thank
drunkel
1/24/08 9:17:13PM
On the various equipment you could do the Tabbata method: 20 secs of work (hard work) 10 secs rest for 4 to 5 mins, rest one min, rinse and repeat.

Check out this article on Ross Training it will explain it
http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/tabataintervals.html