Cantwell Explains Controversial Comment

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Cantwell Explains Controversial Comment
scoozna
12/16/08 2:46:52PM
Following Steve Cantwell’s impressive submission victory over Razak Al Hassan at last week’s UFC Fight for the Troops, the victor gave a post fight interview that included some comment that many have felt were inappropriate. Cantwell won the fight via armbar in which his opponent’s elbow dislocated due to the pressure applied. While being interviewed by Joe Rogan, Cantwell said that he had “always wanted to do that” and seemingly was very pleased when he watched the replay and saw the joint dislocate.
Cantwell interview

...like I said in other threads...he's not a bad guy, he just got caught up in the moment.
Jim_Dangle
12/16/08 2:59:05PM
I don't think people thought he was some evil prick after that. He just said something that MMA haters would latch onto and spew bullshit about how barbaric MMA is.
wiggum
12/16/08 3:11:54PM

Posted by Jim_Dangle

I don't think people thought he was some evil prick after that. He just said something that MMA haters would latch onto and spew bullshit about how barbaric MMA is.

yep.....agreed.....overreacting drama queens....worse has been said and less drama came out of it........i thought it was sweet ending and probably would have reacted the same in some fashion
wrona666
12/16/08 3:18:58PM
A lot of people are getting all butthurt about this, but i personally thought it was hillarious!!!!!!!!!
BigEvil
12/16/08 3:35:16PM
Yeah I didn't have a problem with his comments although he did sound a little to excited. I would have never guessed there was even a controversey until I logged on to the intranet.
finnish_line
12/16/08 3:40:31PM

He could have wished his opponent a speedy recovery.

He came off as a douche to me, although I'm not calling for his head or anything.
The-Don
12/16/08 4:22:37PM
I did not hear the comments as they were made jsut all I read. comments made after a fight I never take overly critical.. fighters are hyped up on adrenaline and the win and all.. they are short on breath maybe took a few shots to the head and all.. in other words.. They are not thinking clearly at that point. he realized what he said could have come off as uncaring.. after all he injured the dude . I think its more about how he reacts later that night and the next day and Cantwell did what he should have after he calmed down and all. now if he had a history of comments like this say like... Oh... Tito ortiz... Who done many a douche bag thing after a win there is no apologizing for it..
NE-1
12/16/08 4:23:56PM

Posted by finnish_line

He came off as a douche to me, although I'm not calling for his head or anything.

It's not the end of the world, but I think it's important to remember that this is a sport. It could learn from the NFL for example when a player is down on the field and it's something serious both teams take a knee and applaud when the player is ok. What kind of reaction would you get if someone gets hurt and the other team started clapping and saying they've been waiting their whole life to injure a player beyond normal circumstance. The bottom line is it's still a sport and while more rough then others, there still is no room for malice.

I've had my arm popped in BJJ practice it was accidental and was a freak accident, but the guy felt awful. My injury wasn't as severe and I still have moments where it hurts (occurred over a year ago) if its pushed beyond its normal range of motion even slightly. If the guy had said yeah thats awesome I think i may have taken his knee out with a pipe
higdon10
12/16/08 5:26:54PM
He didn't show much class at all. But I'm not upset. Its whatever.
bls1919
12/16/08 5:44:53PM
Good read ,and Cantwell came off sincere. Hopefully Al Hassan can heal up to 100%.
Red-Dragon
12/16/08 6:00:58PM
Yeah we can let this one go because he's an American after all.

Not like latching onto comments made by a certain Brit after a certain fight
Sir_Karl
12/16/08 6:26:24PM
The problem isn't with Cantwell's comment.
The problem is with the person(s) who first had issue with it.
It just shows that some people have no clue how to perceive and interpret things properly.
Nor do they have any tact.
Of course it is supposed to be a free country and people should be allowed to say what they like.
So who the hell am I to criticize the critic?
I had no issue with it...but if someone else did....that's their issue.

FrankTheTank1181
12/16/08 7:01:23PM
People need to remember the dude is 22 years old and just got his first win in the UFC, he just got caught up in the moment.
RearNakedJoke
12/16/08 7:53:59PM
the comment would not have bothered me at all had he thanked his opponent or maybe showed some respect or concern for him.
mutosufan
12/16/08 7:56:53PM
So this is America, the land of the free and home of the brave. Where we have free speech and we should be permitted to say any and all.

So if he stood up and said, "that N:::::: was stupid for not tapping. He got what he deserved!" It would still be OKey Dokey with everyone?

I don't think so. His reaction and comments are the antithesis of what this sport is about! Look no further than A. Silva, Rich Franklin, GSP to name a few.

Am I calling for his head? No. Especially since he called him up to issue an apology. That alone took a big man. There is excited then there is ignorance. He was the latter in this situation. But you live and you learn. And he did just that.
HumanTarget
12/16/08 9:56:03PM
Honestly none of you fully understand, nor do I but being that he was just caught up in the moment. He had just trained his ass off for his UFC debut he showed his skills by breaking someones ******* arm off. IMAGINE how ******* good that must felt. He was just expressing himself. Other may have done it differently, like Chucks scream or Bas Ruttens spilt but thats how he choose to release the rest of his pent up energy.
NE-1
12/16/08 10:44:43PM

Posted by HumanTarget

Honestly none of you fully understand, nor do I but being that he was just caught up in the moment. He had just trained his ass off for his UFC debut he showed his skills by breaking someones ******* arm off. IMAGINE how ******* good that must felt. He was just expressing himself. Other may have done it differently, like Chucks scream or Bas Ruttens spilt but thats how he choose to release the rest of his pent up energy.

Sorry im not fully understanding what you're getting at here
ThePlague
12/16/08 11:20:17PM
Clearly even he knew what he said was douchy, since he called and apologized. Plus, He sounded like he was really nice about it, and gave Razak tips on healing it, so he's cool in my book, but I don't get why people are acting like it was fine to do in the the first place. People would be flipping out if Rashad said something like that.
MikeyG
12/16/08 11:26:57PM

Posted by Red-Dragon

what does this have to do with nationality up until you brought it up?

bisbing thought he won that fight and said pre fight if i lose to hamill which he did he wouldnt feel he was the ultimate fighter winner he set himself up for failure either way, and he said a whole bunch of other condescending, prick-like comments on the show, both of those comments he made pre fight and post fight against hamill are arrogant and moronic quite frankly
DuncanFan819
12/17/08 2:55:15AM

Posted by NE-1

Posted by finnish_line

It's not the end of the world, but I think it's important to remember that this is a sport.

Exactly. Imagine Lawrence Taylor getting up and screaming "I BROKE IT" after breaking Joe Theismann's leg. He'd be looked at as a complete jerkoff, even though, as people have said, he was just "caught up in the game/moment."
Red-Dragon
12/17/08 8:18:59AM

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by Red-Dragon

bisbing thought he won that fight and said pre fight if i lose to hamill which he did he wouldnt feel he was the ultimate fighter winner he set himself up for failure either way, and he said a whole bunch of other condescending, prick-like comments on the show, both of those comments he made pre fight and post fight against hamill are arrogant and moronic quite frankly

Just pointing out double standards thats all.
MikeyG
12/17/08 8:52:09AM

Posted by Red-Dragon

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by Red-Dragon

Just pointing out double standards thats all.

Actually Cantwell will probably get be branded to saying that stuff for a long time, so dont worry theres no double standard if your worried about that man
4u2nv
12/17/08 10:57:43AM
i've read everyones post but i just dont see the big idea. Their fighting, remember its a brutal battle btw two men. Al-hassen didn't even want to tap, he fought it off and even tried a weird escape and Cantwell still got it and won, so of course he's excited. Course his emotions are running wild so he just blurred it out, so what. There has been so much worse happen in this world.
wiggum
12/17/08 12:12:55PM

Posted by Red-Dragon

what does nationality have to do with anything?....why does everybody make it too think that only americans are cocky?....the bottom line is fighters are cocky and the ufc is the biggest and most watched program in the world, were the majority of the fighters are americans, so there are more instances on a larger audience scale with american cockiness.....but fighters are fighters.....and if they want to be cocky, let them, its not like they are playing patty cake out there, there needs to be a certain attitude edge in the personality to do that sport....some people cross the line sometimes, wether american, british, brazlian (*cough* babalu)...it doesnt matter....its what you do after the incident that shows...even then it will stick to ya for awhile.......my point: its the fighter, not the nationality
Red-Dragon
12/17/08 6:55:51PM

Posted by wiggum

Posted by Red-Dragon

what does nationality have to do with anything?....why does everybody make it too think that only americans are cocky?....the bottom line is fighters are cocky and the ufc is the biggest and most watched program in the world, were the majority of the fighters are americans, so there are more instances on a larger audience scale with american cockiness.....but fighters are fighters.....and if they want to be cocky, let them, its not like they are playing patty cake out there, there needs to be a certain attitude edge in the personality to do that sport....some people cross the line sometimes, wether american, british, brazlian (*cough* babalu)...it doesnt matter....its what you do after the incident that shows...even then it will stick to ya for awhile.......my point: its the fighter, not the nationality

I get what you are saying and respect that. However there is one part of what you are saying in particular that backs up my arguement. Quote: the majority of the fighters are americans End Quote: This to me proves my point. There are American fighters all the time saying this kind of stuff. It's normal, part of the game. and all is forgotten very soon.

However at the time we had one Brit in the UFC and he was doing OK. He makes a few cocky comments and BAM!!!!
wiggum
12/18/08 10:22:25AM
but thats because there is only one or albiet a couple brit fighters in the ufc.....it stands out.....once there are more fighters from great britian in the ufc, most likely after the upcoming tuf show, then those incidents will be more downplayed......look at other nationalities, and ill go back to the babalu situation, i agree if bisping would have said that then everybody would be in an uproar over it, since he is the "face" of ufc in the uk....but since its babalu, and brazilians have been around in the ufc forever, it wasnt has horrific as it could have been.....which goes back to my original point, and the qoute that you ended quickly "more americans so there are going to be more incidences"....if the majority of the ufc fighters were brits, and an american in a similar position as bisping said something of the sort, then that american would but put under the fire by everybody......again, its not the nationality,its the fighter.......i am curious tho, maybe i missed it or something, but what did bisping say that got everybody in an uproar? i dont recall any incident, if you could refresh my memory that would be great
The-Don
12/18/08 3:44:15PM

Posted by mutosufan

So this is America, the land of the free and home of the brave. Where we have free speech and we should be permitted to say any and all.

So if he stood up and said, "that N:::::: was stupid for not tapping. He got what he deserved!" It would still be OKey Dokey with everyone?

I don't think so. His reaction and comments are the antithesis of what this sport is about! Look no further than A. Silva, Rich Franklin, GSP to name a few.

Am I calling for his head? No. Especially since he called him up to issue an apology. That alone took a big man. There is excited then there is ignorance. He was the latter in this situation. But you live and you learn. And he did just that.

I do not see how this was ignorance.. While his comment may not have come off right.. none of us but him know if he was referring to the breaking of the arm or the fact that he just got his first submission win. it may have been a bit of both. regardless... I do not think he knew how hurt he was after that moment.. I have seen many a fight where there was an injury or a severe KO and the one fight just ran around the ring celebrating his win not caring for the other guy.. Its common.. does not mean he is an insentive jerk. It means he is riding his own emotions. These guys spend weeks training away from family and friends. Busting thier asses to be the winner at the end of the night. they have all thier anger frustration joy and elation coming out in one explosion of passion at the end.. and EVERYONE reacts to that differently.

Now someone campred this to an incident in football... That had to be the dumbest comparrision I have ever heard.. first off in Football you are not training to KO the other team, or submit them your not punching them or kicking them or using submisison moves on them.. To prevent serious injury your wearing helmets and pads to minimize as much injuy as possible. What happened in tehincident mentioned wa a freak accident in football... in MMA an arm bar is a move designed to break an arm.. if done correctly it will break an arm.. .You give up by tapping before the arm is broken.. He did exactly what he trained for.. now if the ref stepped in and he did not let go and then it broke or he tapped but he held the move then it broke yea that would be wrong.. the guy did not tap. he knew he had the move correctly so he held it just like your supposed to do. SO i give Cantwell props for having faith in his skills.. I feel bad for the guy that his arm was broken.. he knew the risks he has no one to blame for it being broken but himself.. as for the comments read the first paragraph.
MikeyG
12/18/08 6:27:05PM

Posted by wiggum

Posted by Red-Dragon

why did you start that debate all over again, i already talked to the guy and settled it and you started it up again........why