Cane - TKO/KO 43% (21)
Cane - Submission 4% (2)
Cane - UD 6% (3)
Sokoudjou - TKO/KO 39% (19)
Sokoudjou - Submission 4% (2)
Sokoudjou - UD 4% (2)
npayant
10/12/08 12:21:08PM
I don't think this has been discussed yet (I did a quick search and didn't see anything, but if there is something, please delete). Thanks.

In my opinion, this is the most intriguing fight on this card (full of difficult picks). Sokoudjou obviously surprised a lot of people with his first two Pride fights and looked pretty good in his last fight in the UFC. But I can't help but think of that Machida fight. Yeah, I know, Machida would make a lot of guys look like that. But is Sokoudjou really a top 10 like a lot of people have him?!? IMO, it is still too early to tell and I haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet!

Cane has REALLY impressed me on the other hand. He was clearly dominating Irvin until the DQ and just crushed Jason Lambert (which hasn't been too hard as of late). I believe this is only the beginning for him.

This is for sure a difficult decision, but as of now, I'm leaning toward Cane for the "upset." I believe he can keep his distant and/or equalize the striking and if it goes to the ground, Cane could possibly get the submission (remembering the total domination by Machida on the ground).

Any thoughts on this fight?
telnights
10/12/08 12:28:11PM
Cane doesn't get near the respect he should. I think he could be a top 10 easily.
gartface
10/12/08 12:30:58PM
It's hard to say that Cane winning is an upset. A lot of people I've seen talk about this fight on here believe that Cane will expose Sokoudjou. I tend to disagree. Both have dynamite in their hands, but I think Sokoudjou's kicks are going to be where the fight is decided, like with the Naka fight. Cane looked very good in the Jason Lambert fight, but as you said, Jason Lambert seems to be a shell of his former self.
It'll be a fun fight to watch, but I still think that Soko will end up with a knockout probably in the second round.
npayant
10/12/08 12:32:49PM

Posted by gartface

It's hard to say that Cane winning is an upset.

You're exactly right... and that's why I put "upset" in quotations.
gartface
10/12/08 12:38:16PM

Posted by npayant

Posted by gartface

It's hard to say that Cane winning is an upset.

You're exactly right... and that's why I put "upset" in quotations.

Didn't catch that, heh.
nickcuc547
10/12/08 12:45:09PM
this is going to be a war and both guys will stand and trade. soko is more explosive and i think he catches him in the first, but the later the fight goes the more i like cane's chances.
tuvok500
10/12/08 12:48:10PM
I think Cane will destroy Soko and it will not take more than 1 rd.

Cane is a beast, yes Soko was impressive before his arrival in the UFC but we clearly saw that he is not that good .

Cane rd 1 TKO or even Murder !!

gartface
10/12/08 12:48:31PM

Posted by nickcuc547

this is going to be a war and both guys will stand and trade. soko is more explosive and i think he catches him in the first, but the later the fight goes the more i like cane's chances.

I'm interested to see if either man has a gas tank. I would think that Sokoudjou would have a good tank, figuring he trains with Team Quest.
DevonFoxy
10/12/08 2:10:48PM

Posted by tuvok500

Cane is a beast, yes Soko was impressive before his arrival in the UFC but we clearly saw that he is not that good .

because he lost to Machida......who hasn't?

tuvok500
10/12/08 2:16:14PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by tuvok500

It is not because he lost , it is because the way he looked and the way he fought and how bad his cardio was etc.etc.. etc..
we saw a completely different fighter than the way he was described and overrated by many peoples.

Cane by Murder !!

metaray
10/12/08 2:23:07PM
Should be an awesome stand up fight. I predict Cane by KO/TKO in the second round.
Ordep
10/12/08 2:24:50PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by tuvok500

and because he didn't look impressive in his Nak fight. He was thought to be the "agressive" striker but that round was Nakamura pushing the pace. If Cane does that, it will be a different story since he has more power than Nakamura and more accurate striking.

Cane by KO
gartface
10/12/08 4:05:51PM

Posted by Ordep

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by tuvok500

and because he didn't look impressive in his Nak fight. He was thought to be the "agressive" striker but that round was Nakamura pushing the pace. If Cane does that, it will be a different story since he has more power than Nakamura and more accurate striking.

Cane by KO

Wait? Not impressive in his Naka fight? Please go and watch that again. He destroyed Naka with those kicks and ended up knocking him down (granted it was the knee injury that stopped the fight) and caused him to fall on his leg.
cmill21
10/12/08 4:26:18PM
Yeah and knocking Nak down is a feat, that guy is seriously tough(watch his fight with Machida for an example). I think Soko's cardio was terrible against machida because of nerves, he's like 24 and trains at a great camp so he should be ready for this one. I like Soko, but I think this will be a great fight that either could easily win.
Kracker_Jap
10/12/08 5:06:56PM
I am an official James Irvin Nut-hugger, and Cane kicked him in the head so I going to root for the guy who is way cooler because he wears a predator mask

How about that for logic
Bowen50
10/12/08 5:23:38PM
this fight is the definition of a toss up in my opinion. i think Soko is a more powerful striker but Cane is more technical and Soko has shown problems against technical strikers in the past against Glover Tiexeria and Machida. Soko has some very devastating kicks which i think he'll use to set up his hands and get the TKO in the 2nd round.
bls1919
10/12/08 6:56:09PM
Iam betting the house on Bana to KO Soko. Should be an exciting fight to say the least.
Branwest
10/12/08 9:14:37PM
Soko shocked the mma world after winning his first Pride fights. Now that he's in the UFC, it's known that he has to make some improvements. However, working w/ppl like Hendo and Team Quest definately helps. I'm up in the air on this fight. I do feel that Cane doesn't get enough respect. I'm not sure who'll I'll pick to win this fight, but I do believe that it'll be one hell of a fight.
prozacnation1978
10/12/08 9:44:26PM
i agree i am excited about this one than any other match on the main card
someone is gonna get knocked silly
Wolfenstein
10/12/08 10:31:52PM
I've been anticipating this fight for quite some time. I knew the line would favor Soku because of a couple high profile wins early on in his career over Lil Nog and Ricardo Arona (who supposedly was suffering from Dengue fever before the fight, which I believe is similar to Malaria). I think Cane has the better standup and I would bet ground game after watching Soku against Machida. I think Soku will struggle against another southpaw and if it goes to the ground Cane will finish it quickly.
copcopps
10/12/08 10:49:29PM
Soko by cooler name
fedorwins1
10/12/08 11:39:45PM
Everyone is talking Cane up so much, I think Soko makes him eat the canvas.
RhythmAndStyle
10/13/08 5:05:39PM
i'm not on or have been on the Soko hype train..he hasn't proven enough to me..just since he KO Arona and Lil Nog..but mean he should be in the top 10 LWs..but Cane should take this one...
gartface
10/13/08 5:40:40PM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

i'm not on or have been on the Soko hype train..he hasn't proven enough to me..just since he KO Arona and Lil Nog..but mean he should be in the top 10 LWs..but Cane should take this one...

His one loss in the UFC came to arguably the number 2 light heavyweight in the world, and potentially number 1 given the title shot. His other loss came to another very promising prospect not unlike himself, Glover Teixeira. Not to mention he stopped one of the best chins in MMA, Nakamura.
Cane looked great against Lambert, but I don't see this being anything like that fight.