CALZAGHE WINS!!!

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » CALZAGHE WINS!!!
Next Page »
MMAcca
11/9/08 2:04:04AM
War Calzaghe

Now do people beleive ?
SpiderSilva
11/9/08 2:17:59AM
I do but a Roy from 13 years ago would have KOed Joe C
Drudinh
11/9/08 7:53:50AM
Dominated
owen1
11/9/08 11:01:43AM
Ya Joe did well,but I knew well before this fight how good he was.
I don't think there any doubt though that a prime Roy jones would have beat him.
Aaronno9
11/9/08 11:20:20AM

Posted by SpiderSilva

I do but a Roy from 13 years ago would have KOed Joe C

lol
MMAcca
11/9/08 3:40:31PM

Posted by owen1

Ya Joe did well,but I knew well before this fight how good he was.
I don't think there any doubt though that a prime Roy jones would have beat him.

Disagree.
loller90278
11/9/08 3:56:47PM
im still not a believer in calzaghe. 10 years ago IMO jones would have finished him in 3 rounds. calzaghes punches have no power, hes not that quick and his chin is questionable -- down in the first against hopkins and rjj.

Shawn91111
11/9/08 6:08:21PM

Posted by loller90278

im still not a believer in calzaghe. 10 years ago IMO jones would have finished him in 3 rounds. calzaghes punches have no power, hes not that quick and his chin is questionable -- down in the first against hopkins and rjj.

Agree, RJJ is one of my all time favorite fighters and pains me in a way to see him go from what he was to how he performed last night, it was on par with Jordan in his last season with the Wizards.
Aaronno9
11/9/08 6:31:20PM
I dont think some people will ever believe in Calzaghe. Every time he fights they think he'll loose, and every time he wins theirs an excuse. Kinda sucks for him but theirs not really anybody he can fight at this point to really cement his place as a top p4p fight. Although he takes the number 2 spot in my mind.

I honestly believe the only thing hes lacking his power in his shots. Even without that stopping power, hes still stopped 32 guys. Questioning his chin is silly, hes been down like 4 times in his entire career, and the Jones shot was just a forearm to the face not a punch. Just look at the Kessler fight, he took some mean looking shots from a guy who punches hella hard, and shrugged it off.

People often make alot out of the fact he fought Jones and Bernard when they where in decline, but at 36, hes no spring chicken either, Jones only has 3 years on him.
juanez13
11/9/08 6:31:48PM
yea good performance by Joe. He kept busy, and cut jones pretty bad, the knock down in the first came out of nowhere lol

still, a prime jones = best boxer ever IMO
Ben_Hutch
11/9/08 8:05:37PM
If Calzaghe was American people would deffinately not be saying what they are, they'd be calling him the #1 p4p fighter alice, I'm certainly not a racist but I honestly believe it.
bls1919
11/9/08 9:20:44PM
The thread isnt about a "prime" RJJ or whoever. it's about now. can't we at least give the guy credit for a great fight and an ass whopping. Really i give Calzaghe all the credit in the world for fight his balls off!!
cmill21
11/9/08 9:26:55PM
Good win, but I still don't think he's in the running for best p4p.
Ben_Hutch
11/9/08 11:29:15PM

Posted by cmill21

What more does he have to do??
cmill21
11/10/08 12:13:03AM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by cmill21

I dunno, develop power, work on not getting dropped in the first round, beat someone who's best days are ahead of him. Remember he's competing with the like of Paquio for p4p honors here. I know he's from the same place you are, but that doesn't make him the best thing ever, I'm Canadian and I don't think Steve Militor is the best in the world.
MMAcca
11/10/08 1:39:57AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by cmill21

I dunno, develop power, work on not getting dropped in the first round, beat someone who's best days are ahead of him. Remember he's competing with the like of Paquio for p4p honors here. I know he's from the same place you are, but that doesn't make him the best thing ever, I'm Canadian and I don't think Steve Militor is the best in the world.

He's from a total different country to Ben actually. Gotta love the ignorance though............

And like Aarronn09 said, he's been knocked down like 4/5 times in his career.
Pookie
11/10/08 1:42:29AM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

If Calzaghe was American people would deffinately not be saying what they are, they'd be calling him the #1 p4p fighter alice, I'm certainly not a racist but I honestly believe it.

I firmly believe Pacquaio is the #1 p4p boxer... and im not from the Philippines.
Maybe its your nationalism thats blinding you
Red-Dragon
11/10/08 8:54:45AM

Posted by loller90278

His chin is questionable

46 pro fights, how many times has he been KO'd? Zero!

Or are you saying that only a boxer who has never been put down has a unquestionable chin because that makes complete sense
Aaronno9
11/10/08 8:56:15AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Ben_Hutch

I firmly believe Pacquaio is the #1 p4p boxer... and im not from the Philippines.
Maybe its your nationalism thats blinding you

Once again, Bens not Welsh, nor am i so i dont think nationalism is an issue. I really cant believe people are talking about his chin, obviously they only saw 2-3 of his fights

I hate how people overlook his victory over Kessler to. His best days are ahead of him, hes going to be a force for a long time, and even though it was a competitive fight Joe beat him handily in the end.
cmill21
11/10/08 5:10:44PM

Posted by MMAcca

He's from a total different country to Ben actually. Gotta love the ignorance though............

Sorry not familiar with the difference between whales and england, still geography seems to be big over there, since Hatton was touted as a guy who would pound Floyd's body and break him down by everyone from the UK. Anyways he's fought 2 maybe 3 notable's and the last two notables have dropped him early. If he fights someone with a name under 38 and dominates I will be happy. Still give it to the pac man.
Ben_Hutch
11/10/08 7:37:34PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by MMAcca

Sorry not familiar with the difference between whales and england, still geography seems to be big over there, since Hatton was touted as a guy who would pound Floyd's body and break him down by everyone from the UK. Anyways he's fought 2 maybe 3 notable's and the last two notables have dropped him early. If he fights someone with a name under 38 and dominates I will be happy. Still give it to the pac man.

He's wiped out two divisions and fought and beaten everyone who's been put infront of him, what more do you want him to do??
Svartorm
11/10/08 8:19:37PM
Calzaghe and Glen Johnson are my two favorite boxers because their styles are so old-school and unorthodox. I called Calzaghe in the 7th, but wasn't suprised RJJ could hold on for the duration, even if the fight could have been stopped from that cut.

To me, Calzaghe is the boxing equivelent of Frankie Edgar, in that the clock is ticking from the moment the fight starts, as to how long you have to take him out before hes worn you down to nothing. People underestimate those lightning fast shovel hooks of his and how much punishment they do to the body and arms, and pretty soon, you have no offense anymore.
SmileR
11/10/08 8:46:23PM

Posted by Svartorm

Calzaghe and Glen Johnson are my two favorite boxers because their styles are so old-school and unorthodox. I called Calzaghe in the 7th, but wasn't suprised RJJ could hold on for the duration, even if the fight could have been stopped from that cut.

To me, Calzaghe is the boxing equivelent of Frankie Edgar, in that the clock is ticking from the moment the fight starts, as to how long you have to take him out before hes worn you down to nothing. People underestimate those lightning fast shovel hooks of his and how much punishment they do to the body and arms, and pretty soon, you have no offense anymore.

Calzaghe is amazing at what he does. I wasn't shocked the fight went to a decision but I was impressed at how well RJJ fought. I was wondering if he would have the conditioning to hang with Joe past the 5th or 6th. RJJ should be proud of that performance. As you said his punches are lightening fast and wear people down faster than anyone else fighting today, half of me expected RJJ to quit on his stool but he hung in and lasted to the very end.
I'v no doubt in my mind that RJJ is one of if not the greatest P4P boxer ever, but right now I don't see anyone who could cause Calzaghe to much trouble.
I'v got nothing but respect for the guy and after cleaning out two devisions he does have a very strong case for best p4p fighter fighting today.
That being said I'm with Pookie, Pacquaio is the best p4p boxer fighting today. If you look at the records and watch the fights Pacquaio is in a league of his own.

cmill21
11/10/08 9:11:15PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

He's wiped out two divisions and fought and beaten everyone who's been put infront of him, what more do you want him to do??

Lol I told you. I'm not saying he's not a great boxer, I'm saying he shoulden't be rated top p4p IMO.

EDIT: I would also put Juan Manuel Marquez above Calzaghe.
Red-Dragon
11/11/08 8:42:27AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by MMAcca

Not familiar with the difference between WHALES and England? WOW I mean I can see how that happens as it is only the slight difference of being different countries

Note: For Whales see "Wales" Country within Britain separated from England by way of being a different country. (and an excessive love for sheep)
higdon10
11/11/08 4:29:00PM
All Calzaghe does is beat whoever is put in front of him. No reason to look down on him.
Ben_Hutch
11/11/08 5:59:46PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by MMAcca

Sorry not familiar with the difference between whales and england, still geography seems to be big over there,

LOL!!!!

One of the best posts I've read all year.
Aaronno9
11/11/08 6:02:40PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by MMAcca

Sorry not familiar with the difference between whales and england, still geography seems to be big over there, since Hatton was touted as a guy who would pound Floyd's body and break him down by everyone from the UK. .

The £120 i won from a silly betting outlet on Floyd begs to differ with that statement
cmill21
11/11/08 9:01:09PM

Posted by Aaronno9

The £120 i won from a silly betting outlet on Floyd begs to differ with that statement

Good for you breaking the mold. Hutch loves anything from the UK(can I call it that or is that bad?), I recall him saying Semtex was the only fighter from Elite who could win a title in the UFC. I'm not saying Joe is a bad boxer, he's a great boxer, but I woulden't consider him top p4p, I would rank Manny 1, Juan Manuel 2, Joe 3, thats if Floyd stay retired, he comes back and he's my #1.
MMAcca
11/11/08 9:23:00PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Lol I told you. I'm not saying he's not a great boxer, I'm saying he shoulden't be rated top p4p IMO.

EDIT: I would also put Juan Manuel Marquez above Calzaghe.

Just for the record, i wasn't agreeing that Calzaghe was the best p4p, it was the geographical ignorance that irked me.

But, what can you expect from the Americans........
Pages: [1] 2