Calling Grappler

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Calling Grappler
BlueSkiesBurn
9/1/11 1:54:24PM
My computer savvy friend, I need your help with something and you're the only person I can think of who would know a way to figure it out.
grappler0000
9/1/11 2:11:11PM
What it is?
emfleek
9/1/11 2:25:35PM

Posted by grappler0000

What it is?

I've already told him that no matter what he does to the computer, the Feds will still be able to find those pictures...

grappler0000
9/1/11 2:53:15PM
Haha, I figured it would be that

You'll need drive-wiping software that will do 7 passes...either that or a really powerful electromagnet.
BlueSkiesBurn
9/1/11 4:24:10PM
So I'm conducting an interview this week for work with a CBS writer. The network we use is BlogTalkRadio and it only does live shows, but we are only doing a 15-20 minute segment with the writer and don't want to live air an entire show for that. We're going to have to anyhow, but we want to record it and air it on Wednesday after my interview with a USC WR.

So, I guess my question is, how can I record that interview? We connect to BlogTalkRadio through Skype.
grappler0000
9/1/11 6:39:55PM
You're just looking to record audio?
BlueSkiesBurn
9/1/11 6:43:11PM

Posted by grappler0000

You're just looking to record audio?

It's just the audio from the podcast, we don't do video. The problem is that we have to go through Skype and BlogTalkRadio so I didn't know if that would make a difference.
grappler0000
9/1/11 7:17:16PM
As long as all of the audio that you want to capture is on one PC, it shouldn't be very difficult. If I'm understanding you correctly, then you'll be hosting a skype call on your PC as well as streaming that conversation on blogtalkradio. Is that correct?
BlueSkiesBurn
9/1/11 7:58:19PM

Posted by grappler0000

As long as all of the audio that you want to capture is on one PC, it shouldn't be very difficult. If I'm understanding you correctly, then you'll be hosting a skype call on your PC as well as streaming that conversation on blogtalkradio. Is that correct?

Close (I think), we open up the studio in BlogTalkRadio, then it asks us to connect through Skype. Now, we already have a work Skype set up so we connect to the BTRHost through the studio, via Skype. I then conference in my co-host (on Skype) and our guest will call into the BTR studio and I'll add him through the switch board.

So, essentially, BTR is the host, but Skype is the means of Teleconferencing. It's just the medium if you will.

I hope that's not too confusing, you're a computer genius, though so I am sure you understood that....I hope.
grappler0000
9/2/11 1:51:21AM
I was meaning to get back to the thread earlier, but Rogan's podcast was like 2 hours longer than normal tonight. Kevin Smith was on though, so it was all good.

OK, so I don't really know anything about BTR, but many streaming services allow you to archive your audio or video directly on their site. I'll assume BTR doesn't do this for you or you wouldn't be looking for an alternative.

I'm assuming the skype client your using is on a PC...and your not using a phone or other device? If so, from there you can record the audio directly to your PC using the built-in Windows Sound Recorder. It's not very flashy, but could technically be used. I would recommend something a little better though. I use Audacity for all of my audio editing needs. It's a free program and it will probably do everything that you would need.

Now, it just depends on how BTR is tied in. Is the BTR software/client/web app being run on the same PC, a separate PC, some other device? Basically, where is the source where everything comes together? Skype will only have you and the co-host, but whatever is running BTR will have both the skype feed and any guest callers...if I'm understanding correctly. Wherever all of that comes together is where you want to record from. If that's a PC, you should be able to use something like Audacity to record everything. If you need some sort of propriety box to tap into BTR, then I guess it just depends on what outputs the thing has.

BlueSkiesBurn
9/2/11 12:27:32PM
The BTR studio is ran through BlogTalkRadio.com, but only one person mans the studio from their computer (pertaining to my co-host and I). Outside of that, I think it's a server ran by BTR.
grappler0000
9/2/11 12:54:41PM
Whoever runs the computer on your end is where you would want to record from. That computer will have the BRT client on it that will talk to the BRT server out in the cloud. Just set up some audio recording software on that PC, such as Audacity, and you can record everything. Hell, in a pinch, anyone listening live at home could do the same from their computer for that matter via the same means...obviously, the quality probably wouldn't be as good, but it would still work.
BlueSkiesBurn
9/2/11 1:10:01PM

Posted by grappler0000

Whoever runs the computer on your end is where you would want to record from. That computer will have the BRT client on it that will talk to the BRT server out in the cloud. Just set up some audio recording software on that PC, such as Audacity, and you can record everything. Hell, in a pinch, anyone listening live at home could do the same from their computer for that matter via the same means...obviously, the quality probably wouldn't be as good, but it would still work.

Is Audacity easy to use?
grappler0000
9/2/11 3:21:01PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Is Audacity easy to use?

Yeah, I don't think it would be an issue to figure it out. It's pretty straight forward. I'd still of coarse do a test run on what you want to do though.
BlueSkiesBurn
9/2/11 3:32:41PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Is Audacity easy to use?

Yeah, I don't think it would be an issue to figure it out. It's pretty straight forward. I'd still of coarse do a test run on what you want to do though.

Thanks man. I will do so, one last question; do I just google it to download free or is there a specific link?
grappler0000
9/2/11 4:38:16PM