California State University, Bakersfield to Host MMA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » California State University, Bakersfield to Host MMA
BlueSkiesBurn
6/30/10 12:39:02AM
In an effort to save the wrestling team CSU-Bakersfield will be hosting a 10 bout MMA competition that will double as a fundraiser for the wrestling team. Ex-UFC fighter and CSU-Bakersfield alumni, Brian Cobb is expected to headline.

A 10-bout mixed martial arts professional card is slated to lend a financial hand to the Cal State Bakersfield wrestling program. "It's been approved. It's going to happen," CSUB senior associate athletic director Gloria Friedman said of the MMA show slated for the on-campus Icardo Center on Saturday, Aug. 14.

LINK
BlueSkiesBurn
6/30/10 12:53:27AM
Now I get to be a fanboy. This is COMPLETELY awesome. It's about damn time my university did something cool. I will definitely be going to this event. Thank you CSUB for finally not sucking.
zxandu
6/30/10 12:55:21AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Now I get to be a fanboy. This is COMPLETELY awesome. It's about damn time my university did something cool. I will definitely be going to this event. Thank you CSUB for finally not sucking.

HELL MUTHAF**KIN YEA BABY!!!!!

Guess who's going? I will give you two guesses...
Jackelope
6/30/10 2:19:21AM
Man it's awesome to see schools finally taking part in this as a sport. Arizona State University started an MMA program and Dan Henderson contributed lots of $$$$ to keep their wrestling program alive. To me, when athletic programs around the world begin to recognize the truly sporting nature of this competition, that is the biggest sign of how far MMA has come.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/30/10 3:15:05AM
What makes this crazier, Jackelope, is that our university is SMACK dab in the heart of the the most conservative part of California. Our university is also VERY small and does not have good turn out for events. I think the last time we even sold out a basketball game was in the early nineties. The fact that we are doing this is bigger than big. I was shocked when I heard this. If *WE* are doing this, MMA has come very far.