Calgary Media on UFC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Calgary Media on UFC
Gogoplatapus
7/28/12 2:53:41PM
Here's a radio conversation that got me so heated I had to post it here. The station, Fan 960, has only one guy who cares about MMA, Pat Steinberg, and I think he does the sport a great service for my area. This conversation he has with a blowhard Eric Francis from Jack FM and Sun newspaper sickens me.

I'm disappointed in the ignorant, negative backlash the media has printed/aired. To say that the UFC owes anything to the city of Calgary stupid.

I'm so frustrated with the coverage of something that should have been celebrated regardless of what happened.

Have a listen, first 5 minutes, the rest is hockey in July of course.

FAN 960
grappler0000
7/28/12 3:21:43PM
That guy knows jack shit about business. Yeah, give out a refund and see the can of worms that opens as a result. Also, when you pay for something before it happens, there's a risk involved. Shame on them? What they did was criminal? I understand being upset about how the card went, but that guy is an idiot.

edit: After listening to everything he had to say, it's obvious that he's just a bona fide hater. It's as if he was waiting for a reason say something negative about the sport.
BeeR
7/28/12 3:43:12PM
calgary flames lose 6-0 give the fans a refund?

idiot.
Wallass
7/28/12 7:32:58PM
I understand card subject to change but card subject to implosion was more like it.
Aether
7/29/12 1:49:11AM
I'm a little tired of everyone crying about this card, to be honest. The undercard was one of the best bunch of fights I've seen in a long time.

Now, granted, the PPV card had 3 terrible fights clumped together, but there were 7 or 8 of 11 fights that were excellent, not just OK, but excellent, IMO.

You don't have a right to a refund because there were 3 bad fights on a card with 11 fights. Get real. They were inconveniently placed all together on the main card, but overall, this card was really not that bad at all. The undercard was phenomenal, Barao-Faber was a solid fight and Riddle-Clements had tons of action.

Every single fight can't be amazing, get over it. As soon as the guy described MMA as "a bunch of glorified bouncers" it was pretty obvious that he was a retard who knows nothing about the sport. I'm glad that the guy at the end of that segment said

"You're ignorant and learn about the sport before you start spouting off."
MMAcca
7/29/12 2:13:22AM
Get this a lot in the UK too.

Lot of ignorance still.....
Gogoplatapus
7/29/12 11:30:55AM

Posted by Aether

Every single fight can't be amazing, get over it. As soon as the guy described MMA as "a bunch of glorified bouncers" it was pretty obvious that he was a retard who knows nothing about the sport. I'm glad that the guy at the end of that segment said

Ya that was Pat Steinberg, he knows a fair bit about the sport. This wasn't the first time these guys pissed me off. The three morning idiots didn't go and had no interest, couldn't pronounce guys names. Couldn't even talk on a casual level.

And the afternoon idiot bumbles through it.

Then when it's all said and done, and things don't go exactly right, EVERYONE crawls out of the woodwork with their negative opinions.

I honestly wish this had been in Edmonton, a city where MMA is embraced already, and has a least a handful of guys who can give it the respect it deserves.

Budgellism
7/29/12 2:44:56PM

Posted by Aether

I'm a little tired of everyone crying about this card, to be honest. The undercard was one of the best bunch of fights I've seen in a long time.

Now, granted, the PPV card had 3 terrible fights clumped together, but there were 7 or 8 of 11 fights that were excellent, not just OK, but excellent, IMO.

You don't have a right to a refund because there were 3 bad fights on a card with 11 fights. Get real. They were inconveniently placed all together on the main card, but overall, this card was really not that bad at all. The undercard was phenomenal, Barao-Faber was a solid fight and Riddle-Clements had tons of action.

THANK YOU.

I've heard people calling this the worst card in UFC history. Are you kidding me? Did you see 33 or 119? IMO this was a decent card. Nothing special but still very satisfying. Like you said, the prelims were phenomenal. Every fight was entertaining in its own way. Even on the main card, Clements/Riddle was a great fight and Barao/Faber was entertaining as well. Dana said it best imo. "If you didn't like Barao/Faber you're not a real fight fan." It wasn't the best fight but it's not hard to find the value in it.

Compare the number of great cards that the UFC has put on to the number of bad cards. The numbers aren't even close. This shit is why the sport is as great as it is. There are really no guarantees in MMA. On any given night we could be given an amazing card or a terrible card. Every fight is its own story and personally that really draws me into the sport.

This nut job doesn't have a clue and sadly most people don't. To look at this sport as barbaric or "cock fighting" is just plain ignorant.
BuffaloDave
7/29/12 3:23:07PM

Posted by Aether

Exactly!!!!