Cains punching power

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Cains punching power
MisterFreeze
10/25/10 12:03:33AM
Am I mistaken or did Joe Rogan state that Cain Velasquez has the most powerful punch ever recorded at nearly 2400 pounds per sq. in. ??

Does anyone know anything about this? Is Cain the strongest puncher alive??
grappler0000
10/25/10 1:00:01AM
He was on that Sports Science show and they recorded his punching power. He had the hardest recorded punch that the show has done...which includes some heavyweight boxers.
BlueSkiesBurn
10/25/10 1:05:40AM
I posted these stats in another thread, but I'll put the exact numbers of Velasquez's time on Sports Science since you're asking.

Velasquez's heart rate maxes out at 167 BPM, very low, on par with elite endurance athletes -
Velasquez's punch registers at 2230 lbs of force, a harder punch than any boxer ever measured in the Sport Science lab -
Velasquez's takedown generates 5000 watts of power in his hips and 2700 lbs of force, on par with NFL defensive pro Dwight Freeney

James "Lights Out" Toney measured at 1300 to give you a comparison. Randy Couture was 1030
jae_1833
10/25/10 2:09:52AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I posted these stats in another thread, but I'll put the exact numbers of Velasquez's time on Sports Science since you're asking.

Velasquez's heart rate maxes out at 167 BPM, very low, on par with elite endurance athletes -
Velasquez's punch registers at 2230 lbs of force, a harder punch than any boxer ever measured in the Sport Science lab -
Velasquez's takedown generates 5000 watts of power in his hips and 2700 lbs of force, on par with NFL defensive pro Dwight Freeney

James "Lights Out" Toney measured at 1300 to give you a comparison. Randy Couture was 1030

Holy.....that's ridiculous, and people were saying Brock had no chin/heart....crazy!
Pookie
10/25/10 2:13:38AM
Rampage got 1800 and Houston Alexander like 600.

Im not sure how much you can trust that shows procedures and assessments.
grappler0000
10/25/10 9:50:29AM
Well, Houston was part of an isolated test, so I wouldn't lump him into the same group. But his 600 pounds was only his baseline results anyway...he ended up maxing out at 1000 for their test. The other guys looked to be doing the same test under the same conditions, so I think it's fair to compare Randy, Rampage, James, and Cain.
Chael_Sonnen
10/25/10 9:57:28AM
I think I'm more impressed with his heart rate, cardio.....Cain wasn't even breathing hard after the fight....amazing!
gartface
10/25/10 11:13:32AM
I hate jumping to this conclusion with any weight class/fighter, but I just have a suspicion he's going to be unstoppable for a while.
BlueSkiesBurn
10/25/10 12:25:46PM

Posted by gartface

I hate jumping to this conclusion with any weight class/fighter, but I just have a suspicion he's going to be unstoppable for a while.

I actually got into this debate with someone yesterday. I think JDS poses some very serious challenges to Velasquez. More so than anyone else in the division right now. JDS is a better striker than Velasquez and will have no problem engaging in a stand-up war with him. He's also shown some good takedown defense, though it was against Roy Nelson, but even if Cain gets him on his back he's still got to deal with a Nogueira brown belt in BJJ once he gets him there.

I trust that JDS is very proficient off his back and would likely work it to get the fight back to his feet even though he's probably very comfortable on the ground. It would seem to me that the best way for JDS to take out Velasquez would be to use his technical striking to outpoint Velasquez.

Should Velasquez get through JDS, I'd be inclined to agree, but I think it's a mighty tall order. Either way, those two are going to be staples in the HW division for quite some time at their young ages.
king_katool
10/25/10 12:39:08PM
While this is impressive I'm not sure its fair to compare these numbers and say fighter a would KO fighter b because get maxed higher on sports science,

To many variables in a fight, footwork, head movement, timing/opportunity, Etc.
BlueSkiesBurn
10/25/10 12:41:21PM

Posted by king_katool

While this is impressive I'm not sure its fair to compare these numbers and say fighter a would KO fighter b because get maxed higher on sports science,

I don't think anyone was saying that, per se. I think people were just interested in the actual numbers behind his punches. You know us sports fans, we love statistics.
king_katool
10/25/10 5:37:58PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by king_katool

I don't think anyone was saying that, per se. I think people were just interested in the actual numbers behind his punches. You know us sports fans, we love statistics.

Yea I was just getting it out there, and don't get me wrong I love pouring over these kind if numbers to

I kinda just want to cut off any thing like that Cain can't beat carwin thread lol
BlueSkiesBurn
10/25/10 5:43:45PM

Posted by king_katool

Yea I was just getting it out there, and don't get me wrong I love pouring over these kind if numbers to

I kinda just want to cut off any thing like that Cain can't beat carwin thread lol

Let us never bring up that stupid thread again.
Cdellorso
10/25/10 8:35:30PM
speaking of Cain VS Carwin....
since i didnt get to chime in on billfolds thread

I think the only reason Carwin isnt Champion is he wasnt patient.
I do think his MMA wrestling is in Line with Cains
I think Cain is faster younger
I think Cain probably hits harder but not much
hes got better cardio
Cain is a more tech striker-
I bet Carwin takes a punch better

I would give the edge to Cain but would not av bet the fight- it would be close
State_Champ
10/25/10 9:34:10PM

Posted by Cdellorso

hes got better cardio

i do not think cain hits harder than carwin.
Pookie
10/25/10 9:36:21PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by Cdellorso

hes got better cardio

And i also do not think Carwin can take a hit better than Cain.

But fair enough analysis.
BustedKnuckle
10/28/10 8:02:18PM
Pretty damn impressive numbers and put against the likes of "Lights out" He looks bad ass. I think Cain has a tough task in his next fight, but after he gets past JDS I see him cruzing for a fight or two against bigger, Slower fighters.
chickmagnet
10/31/10 6:16:12PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by Cdellorso

hes got better cardio

And i also do not think Carwin can take a hit better than Cain.

But fair enough analysis.

I agree with Pookie, Cain has a jaw like a cinderblock
Boo_Radley21
11/1/10 10:29:22AM
That's nuts Velasquez is a beast I was rooting for Lesnar but I'm still happy with him being champ. He's gonna tool anyone he fights for a while except maybe Lesnar