Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos Confirmed for UFC on FOX Main Event

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos Confirmed for UFC on FOX Main Event
Next Page »
emfleek
9/2/11 1:07:23PM
Cain Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos will lead the UFC's charge on to network television.

UFC president Dana White today announced that Velasquez and Dos Santos will headline UFC on FOX 1, which takes place Nov. 12 at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The event marks the UFC's debut on network television and kicks-off a seven-year deal between the UFC and FOX, a partnership that also includes UFC programming on FX and FUEL TV.

LINK
FastKnockout
9/2/11 1:07:48PM
grappler0000
9/2/11 1:09:26PM
Yours is all official and stuff...feel free to delete mine.

In other news:
SpicyMeatball
9/2/11 1:11:14PM

hell yes
FastKnockout
9/2/11 1:11:17PM
Dana said the title fight would be the only fight on the main card. But, this fight has all the potential to end early. What happens then? Stream the prelims?
cowcatcher
9/2/11 1:11:31PM
There should be less complaints about "only 2 fights" being broadcast now. Thanks Uncle Dana.

EDIT: Posted this before reading the article, I guess there's only 1 fight guaranteed. You know what assuming does...
emfleek
9/2/11 1:12:41PM

Posted by cowcatcher

There should be less complaints about "only 2 fights" being broadcast now. Thanks Uncle Dana.

This will be the only fight. If it ends early, they'll do like they always do...use filler from the prelims and, of course, the obligatory awkward interview between Rogan and Dana.
Poor_Franklin
9/2/11 1:14:33PM

glad JDS can prove me right on national tv.
FastKnockout
9/2/11 1:15:37PM
Apparently both fighters were offered some major $$$ to fight for the FOX event.
Twenty20Dollars
9/2/11 1:16:55PM
I think I have the fight going to a decision. So that could eat up most of this hour.
emfleek
9/2/11 1:18:26PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I think I have the fight going to a decision. So that could eat up most of this hour.

According to Dana, a lot of the time will be spent educating those who've never seen an MMA fight. They need to know what they're watching.
FastKnockout
9/2/11 1:19:24PM

Eric Shanks answered the question. Said they would either show a full replay of one of the prelims or "highlights" from the whole undercard.
FastKnockout
9/2/11 1:22:35PM
FOX plans on launching the UFC with "Super Bowl, red-carpet treatment"
gartface
9/2/11 1:26:54PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Eric Shanks answered the question. Said they would either show a full replay of one of the prelims or "highlights" from the whole undercard.

I LOVE the idea of showing prelim highlights.
emfleek
9/2/11 1:28:03PM

Posted by gartface

I LOVE the idea of showing prelim highlights.

Agreed. Show the new folk all of the good stuff. Suck 'em in and then let 'em discover lay 'n pray once they're already hooked.

ncordless
9/2/11 1:36:48PM

Posted by emfleek

According to Dana, a lot of the time will be spent educating those who've never seen an MMA fight. They need to know what they're watching.

Bah. I still have nightmares about Frank Shamrock spending a half hour to explain the sport on CBS. I have been thrilled with everything except that.
prophecy033
9/2/11 1:51:03PM
Oh yeah, this is a great fight to have on fox. I think this will surpass the ratings for that disaster that was kimbo vs Thompson. I'm still not sure Thompsons ear has stopped bleeding yet
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
emfleek
9/2/11 1:52:16PM

Posted by ncordless

Bah. I still have nightmares about Frank Shamrock spending a half hour to explain the sport on CBS. I have been thrilled with everything except that.

This was my first thought but then I remembered it wasn't UFC/Zuffa programming. I think they'll do it up right.
ncordless
9/2/11 2:07:29PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by ncordless

This was my first thought but then I remembered it wasn't UFC/Zuffa programming. I think they'll do it up right.

I hope so. They used the metal/rap intro for way too long and still use Goldberg in the booth so I am not sure that good taste is necessarily Zuffa's strong suit. . . Fox's either for that matter. I am sure it will be pretty annoying no matter what for longtime fans. As long as they don't use Goldie for the explanations, we should be ok.

But in the end none of that will really matter because we get to see the two best HWs in the world go at it for five rounds for the first of what I am sure will be several times.

kopower
9/2/11 2:31:58PM
Wowzers! I just made a mess in my trousers
Budgellism
9/2/11 2:40:21PM
AWESOME! Moves this epic fight up a month and it's free. I'm pumped.
emfleek
9/2/11 2:44:04PM

Posted by Budgellism

Actually, it only moves it up 7 days. It was originally scheduled for 11/19.
mrsmiley
9/2/11 2:49:51PM
I wish their where more fights but I certainly understand why they're doing this.
Hope they pull it off good.
shawneth
9/2/11 3:01:59PM
It says it will air on "Fox 1"

The fox channel i get (comes with the most basic form of cable) says "fox 21" in the bottom right hand corner. Anyone know if there is a difference or if I wont get it?
emfleek
9/2/11 3:10:46PM

Posted by shawneth

It says it will air on "Fox 1"

The fox channel i get (comes with the most basic form of cable) says "fox 21" in the bottom right hand corner. Anyone know if there is a difference or if I wont get it?

Dude...you're reading it wrong. It says UFC on FOX 1..."1" means it's the first UFC event on FOX, not the channel. Kinda like UFC 134.

Dtime_NBT
9/2/11 3:22:12PM
******* awesome. This fight is going to be fireworks and we get it even sooner and for free.

Way to be Dana.
Budgellism
9/2/11 3:26:18PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Budgellism

Actually, it only moves it up 7 days. It was originally scheduled for 11/19.

Oh, well once again I was wrong. I was thinking it was December 10th for some reason, but that's UFC in Toronto.
emfleek
9/2/11 3:31:03PM

Posted by Budgellism

Oh, well once again I was wrong. I was thinking it was December 10th for some reason, but that's UFC in Toronto.

It's all good. I give you Canadians a pass when it comes to being right!

(kidding)
Budgellism
9/2/11 3:35:43PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Budgellism

It's all good. I give you Canadians a pass when it comes to being right!

(kidding)

Yeah, eh
prozacnation1978
9/2/11 4:18:31PM
Damm what a crap week
First two bouts scrapped for denver
Now I am heading to san jose where the main event is now changed
Pages: [1] 2