Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos at UFC 139

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos at UFC 139
POLL: Who takes it?
Cain Valesquez 57% (24)
Junior dos Santos 43% (18)
FastKnockout
8/4/11 11:53:36PM
Looks like Zuffa is using UFC 133 to unload a bunch of big news today. While it's been reported as far back as June, reports indicate that the UFC is set to officially announce that Cain Velasquez's first title defense will take place against Junior dos Santos at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California.

The real news, however, is this MMA Fighting bit on Velasquez's shoulder injury:

Velasquez was first injured during his UFC 121 championship victory over Brock Lesnar, tearing his right rotator cuff, a setback that was expected to take between 6-8 months to heal. After a long layoff and rehabilitation, he recently ramped up his workouts and is said to be progressing well.

LINK
KungFuMaster
8/5/11 1:29:59AM
I hope Cain will be 100 percent for this fight. I like both fighters but I will be rooting for Cain.

Something tells me one of these fighters will be the GSP of the division and the other will be the Fitch.
Pookie
8/5/11 1:34:34AM
Heavyweight fight, pick the finisher.
prophecy033
8/5/11 2:04:29AM
YES!!!! I'm SO pumped for this fight. It wouldn't surprise me if this fight is a fight of the year candidate when all is said and done. Cain has amazing cardio and his wrestling is on point every match. Dos Santos has great standup to go his jiu-jitsu. Both have ko power. It's a toss up. Glad we finally have a date for when this is gonna go down
tn_rebel
8/5/11 8:33:32AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I hope Cain will be 100 percent for this fight. I like both fighters but I will be rooting for Cain.

Something tells me one of these fighters will be the GSP of the division and the other will be the Fitch.

What do you mean by that? They are going to be boring? and not finish fights? Junior wins this Rd 2 KO in pretty dominating fashon
otacon279
8/5/11 9:42:24AM
JDS
TeamDEY
8/5/11 9:46:36AM
Cain is the best, he takes it.
isk
8/5/11 10:10:32AM
So excited for this.

Both Cain and JDS have proven that superior skill and athleticism can beat size and power in the heavyweight division. Will it last forever? I doubt it, but it should for a while. Plus, these guys are clearly at the top of the division now and each has a valid chance of winning the fight.

The big questions with Cain for me are two-fold - will he be as hittable as he was in the Kongo fight, and will he be able to impose takedowns on JDS who's shown rather good takedown defense and scrambling? Cain has an excellent chin and the best cardio at HW along with impressive hands, but he'll lose the fight if he eats too many jabs then fails when looking to change levels. He may also be looking to land more leg kicks, but he'll need to time them properly to avoid counters. He may not even need to nail too many takedowns at the start. Constant pressure might be the key for him, since based on past experience his cardio seems better than JDS's.

For JDS, I'm questioning his gameplan and his cardio. He fought smart against Carwin and looked fresh at the end, and I think a similar gameplan could be effective against Cain. Carwin has the best one-punch power of all of them, but combinations will mess you up as well and Cain is ridiculously good at stringing his punches together. JDS should have the height and reach advantage, so staying on the outside is to his benefit. And while he was breathing easy at the end of the Carwin fight, he did punch himself out a bit at the end of the first round. If he's having to scramble too much or if Cain finds a way to hold him down and work heavily from the bottom, he might start to fade. Remember that before Carwin, JDS was a bit sluggish towards the end of the Roy Nelson fight, and that was almost entirely on the feet.

Personally I'm picking a healthy Cain in a clear 5 round win with some stiff resistance from JDS towards the first half of the fight, but I think if Cain's not fully healed or if JDS is in crazy awesome shape with a solid gameplan, he can definitely take the belt.
KungFuMaster
8/5/11 12:29:55PM

Posted by tn_rebel

Posted by KungFuMaster

What do you mean by that? They are going to be boring? and not finish fights? Junior wins this Rd 2 KO in pretty dominating fashon

One will own the division and the other will be the runner up for a while. I thought it was self explanatory. Perhaps I should have been more specific.
KungFuMaster
8/5/11 1:02:35PM
Cain and Junior are two of the smartest fighters in the heavy weight division. Both will come in with excellent game plans.

Junior's game plan will not differ from the one he put on against Carwin. He will try to use his reach to stick and move. He will employ his jab and stay on the outside and try not to let Cain get in too close. He will be hesitant to throw bombs because he will be worried about Cain's take downs.

Cain's game plan will be to pressure Junior and force him to attack. Cain will be looking to land punches but at the same time he will be looking for take downs. He will throw combinations and maybe follow it up with a kick. He will have Junior back pedaling for a good duration of the fight.

In the precipice, when both fighters are committed to with-holding their ground, Junior will throw bombs and Cain will look to punch his way in for a knock out or a take down.

My prediction: I have never seen either of these fighters wilt but I think Junior will will after a few rounds of being pressured and clinched.
tn_rebel
8/5/11 1:10:17PM
The only Cain had with someone who was a as good of striker as him was Kongo and if it wasn't for Cain's shoestring takedowns, he would have probably been finished 4 or 5 times in that fight. In my opinion Junior is far better on his feet that Cain, and has far better takedown defense than Kongo. I don't see Cain being able to tie his shoestrings together the way he did Kongo's.
Bubbles
8/5/11 1:28:53PM
a healthy Cain will win this fight easily 49-46. his wrestling and scrambles are far better than JDS.
prozacnation1978
8/5/11 3:02:13PM
I will be there just hope faber vs bowles is not co main event
Manak
8/5/11 3:07:15PM

Posted by tn_rebel

The only Cain had with someone who was a as good of striker as him was Kongo and if it wasn't for Cain's shoestring takedowns, he would have probably been finished 4 or 5 times in that fight. In my opinion Junior is far better on his feet that Cain, and has far better takedown defense than Kongo. I don't see Cain being able to tie his shoestrings together the way he did Kongo's.

how can anyone not bring up the kongo fight, cain was rocked everytime he got close but was able to secure the TD to recover, I dont think he will be able to do that to JDS everytime n will get finished.

Another huge factor which no one is bringing up is RING RUST, cain torn his shoulder and it will have been over a YEAR since he fought. I dont know the odds but i feel like JDS is an easy pick for me. either way it will be an awesome fight but I feel JDS just to much going for him right now
tn_rebel
8/5/11 3:10:55PM

Posted by Manak

Posted by tn_rebel

how can anyone not bring up the kongo fight, cain was rocked everytime he got close but was able to secure the TD to recover, I dont think he will be able to do that to JDS everytime n will get finished.

Another huge factor which no one is bringing up is RING RUST, cain torn his shoulder and it will have been over a YEAR since he fought. I dont know the odds but i feel like JDS is an easy pick for me. either way it will be an awesome fight but I feel JDS just to much going for him right now

Got to spread the love but your exactly right.
Budgellism
8/5/11 4:37:23PM

Posted by Manak

Posted by tn_rebel

You make a compelling case. I was positive Cain would win but now I dunno. I'll have to think about this one.
Chael_Sonnen
8/5/11 5:09:46PM
Easy pick....selección fácil, Brown Pride por decisión unánime
sbulldavid
8/5/11 6:09:55PM
That torn rotator cuff is Cain's biggest question, not the Kongo fight. Sometimes you get hit hard and you don't fully recover, that's just the way fights go.
kingsmasher
8/5/11 10:48:28PM

Posted by tn_rebel

Posted by KungFuMaster

Nope Cain will bring the pain...hardcore to the brain...
kingsmasher
8/5/11 10:54:44PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Manak

Posted by tn_rebel

You make a compelling case. I was positive Cain would win but now I dunno. I'll have to think about this one.

You guys here are discrediting Kongos power....Dude flat out almost killed Pat Barry...

Cain has smashed pretty much everyone....Um not so sure Kongo would not beat JDS.....hes a definite match up problem for JDS...Hes a good striker...JDS simply only beat Carwin...

Cain over JDS....

@ propecy who knows if JDS has Jiu jitsu? aint seen it and I would bet its not that good...Why because who does he train with that would be the size of Cain to test his skills and Cains wrstling? answer....nobody...hes gonna get exposed by the cardio king of HW....he will never KO Cain and about mid 3rd round will lose all his power from being tired...
prophecy033
8/5/11 11:09:46PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Manak

Posted by tn_rebel

You guys here are discrediting Kongos power....Dude flat out almost killed Pat Barry...

Cain has smashed pretty much everyone....Um not so sure Kongo would not beat JDS.....hes a definite match up problem for JDS...Hes a good striker...JDS simply only beat Carwin...

Cain over JDS....

@ propecy who knows if JDS has Jiu jitsu? aint seen it and I would bet its not that good...Why because who does he train with that would be the size of Cain to test his skills and Cains wrstling? answer....nobody...hes gonna get exposed by the cardio king of HW....he will never KO Cain and about mid 3rd round will lose all his power from being tired...

Dude, he trains with the Brothers Nog, he's got jiu-jitsu. Just because you've never seen it doesn't mean he doesn't have it. Hell, Tito almost Triangled Machida. We never saw his jiu-jitsu. Cain could make Dos Santos' jiu-jitsu look bad, GSP made BJ's bjj look bad. Doesn't mean Penn didn't have it. But like guys who fight GSP and Anderson, you can never replicate Cain's cardio. Dos Santos can knockout Cain and Cain can knockout Dos Santos. The BOTH have ko power. That's the beauty of this fight.
Manak
8/6/11 12:36:31AM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Manak

Posted by tn_rebel

Cain over JDS....

I am not discrediting Kongo's power, just pointing out that he rocked cain pretty easily n see no reason y JDS cant, yes cain has smashed everyone but so has JDS they both have been runnin through ppl.... ok so JDS has "only" beat carwin well the same case can be made with cain only beatin lesnar. for me its pretty clear cut JDS is the fav, he has a brown belt in BJJ last i saw under the nog brothers. he is a fast HW too just like cain might even be faster. also he hasnt just came back from a year layoff n had shoulder surgery (shoulders r pretty important in any sport) With the time off and the skills JDS has i think it is too much for cain to overcome...I could be wrong but i dont see it
isk
8/6/11 8:15:39AM
JDS has a good jab and excellent power, but so does Kongo along with what I feel is superior hand speed. That dropped Cain as much as the power itself. It's not hating on JDS to say he winds up his punches a bit, especially his uppercut. It's just something to look for in the title fight (whether he's worked on it or not).
Cooler
8/8/11 1:04:20AM
JDS hurts Cain bad in the first round and finishes Cain in the second.