Cain Velasquez vs Jake O'Brien

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Cain Velasquez vs Jake O'Brien
roger
7/7/08 10:11:28PM
what is your opinion who has the upper hand i don't know much about either of them
juanez13
7/7/08 10:15:45PM
Cain, defenately. Cain is probably the most highly touted of the HW new comers in the UFC. he is better in every area than Jake, Cain is a better wrestler, and unlike Jake he has great ground and pound and subs. I'd also give him the advantage on the feet.
DiabloFreak56
7/7/08 10:55:59PM
jake o'brien is a lay n pray artist.

cain will be able to KO him imo rather easily and fast.

rd 1 ko
throwmeahotone
7/8/08 12:42:11AM
sammyd1213
7/8/08 1:48:55AM
Velasquez is a beast. He should dominate O'Brien.
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/8/08 7:35:30AM
don't know how anyone can see obrien winning this
DCRage
7/8/08 12:40:50PM
I'm picking O'Brien. 8 T/KOs to Cain's 3. Experience.
rabbit915
7/8/08 6:12:45PM
I think a lot of guys are giving Cain too much credit. His striking is powerful but sloppy. A good technical striker could eat him up and there are quite a few of those at the top of the HW division. His wrestling is rumored to be good but im still yet to see it.

If his wrestling is as good as its suppossed to be than i dont think O'brien can win by controling him for 3 rounds and therefore i dont personally think O'brien is going to win but i could see where people are coming from.
DCRage
7/8/08 8:08:45PM
I still think Cain is a good prospect who seems to have a bright future ahead of him. Even if he loses here, it should only be a small bump in the road. At the very least it's a good early test for him.
Mayhem13
7/8/08 10:25:44PM
Basically. Cain will whomp-a-late him into an oblivion.
whardin19
7/8/08 10:36:11PM
Cain is very talented and an up-and-comer. But, I might have to give the edge to Jake in this one. He's got more experience and is a true heavyweight. Cain could easily make LHW just like Vera. I could see Jake getting Cain down and pounding out a decision. Jake also has very underated striking.
wrestler189
7/9/08 1:34:41PM
cain is bigger than jake. so that wont be an issue

the only advantage obrian has over cain is expirience
misses1112
7/11/08 5:58:49PM
Cain is sure to be a challenge for Jake, I understand... but Jake really has been training his azz off because this fight is so very important to him.

I am pulling for Jake.
juanez13
7/11/08 7:46:57PM

Posted by whardin19

Cain is very talented and an up-and-comer. But, I might have to give the edge to Jake in this one. He's got more experience and is a true heavyweight. Cain could easily make LHW just like Vera. I could see Jake getting Cain down and pounding out a decision. Jake also has very underated striking.

he is 6'2 245lbs, could easily move down to LHW

jake is 6'3 240lbs, one inch isnt significant enough to be a factor in a fight.
whardin19
7/19/08 2:02:32PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by whardin19

Did you see them in the weigh ins???? Looked like Jake was bigger to me.......HMMMMMMM....
jiujitsufreak74
7/19/08 3:27:42PM

Posted by whardin19

Posted by juanez13

Posted by whardin19

Did you see them in the weigh ins???? Looked like Jake was bigger to me.......HMMMMMMM....

they were the exact same weight though...
candynuts
7/19/08 3:35:01PM
Come on Irish O'Brien!

mkiv9secsupra
7/19/08 4:07:16PM
Purdue Wrestling > Arizona State Wrestling +1 for Obrien
8 TKOs > 3 TKOs +1 for Obrien
11 fights > 3 fights +1 for Obrien
6'3'' > 6'2'' +1 for Obrien

Ive got confidence Cain is a bit overrated and Obrien is underrated and he will come out on top.

And to those who said Obrien is a LnP fighter, i would like you to know that only 2 of his fights have gone to decision in his career.
DangerousDjohn
7/19/08 11:25:21PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Ive got confidence Cain is a bit overrated and Obrien is underrated and he will come out on top.

And to those who said Obrien is a LnP fighter, i would like you to know that only 2 of his fights have gone to decision in his career.

OOO...you lose...dude got dominated!!!!
mkiv9secsupra
7/19/08 11:33:47PM

Posted by DangerousDjohn

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

OOO...you lose...dude got dominated!!!!

haha and i do feel like a total idiot......i had NO CLUE that these guys had wrestled each other in college already!!! that would have weighed on my pick

but oh well.....i changed my pick to Valesquez at the last minute!!!!!!!!
jiujitsufreak74
7/20/08 1:13:02AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

haha and i do feel like a total idiot......i had NO CLUE that these guys had wrestled each other in college already!!! that would have weighed on my pick

but oh well.....i changed my pick to Valesquez at the last minute!!!!!!!!

well tbh the reason i hold Cain so highly and had no problem making this pick was because of what the user F--k_Luck_AuH2O said about his wrestling skills. Goldwater has wrestled some of the best in MMA, and won, but he said Cain whooped his ass. ever since i jumped on board the Cain Train.
candynuts
7/20/08 1:17:41AM
Did I really say that Irish O'Brien was going to win?
Jeez... he got absolutely killed!
emfleek
7/20/08 1:21:17AM
Finally, a HW fighter I can root for.

Thank you, Cain. Thank you.
Purge
7/20/08 10:22:44AM
I hope Joe Silva get's rid of O'brien, he's boring as ****. Im glad Cain whipped his ass.