Could Cain Velasquez do what Brandon Vera said he would

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Could Cain Velasquez do what Brandon Vera said he would
Next Page »
POLL: Can he Do It
Yes 30% (14)
No 70% (33)
hotrodttt
8/15/08 2:17:59AM
So Brandon Vera said he would be both UFC Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight Champion but hasn't even remotely Lived up to his word. Three Lackluster performances in a row has me wondering. Will Brandon even Challenge for the Title in either Weight Class, because their are a lot of people in both Divisions who would Give him Trouble.

But Cain Velasquez, Man he is Impressive, 2 Big T(KO) Wins in a Row and against Good Competition. Brad Morris isn't the Best Guy but he's Hard to Put away and Cain did it easily. Also against Jake O'Brian, he took down Pounded out One if the Best Wrestlers in the Division. He's the Besst Athelete at Heavyweight no Doubt, and he could cut to 205. So when he has more Big Wins, could Cain do it, he has the Raw Skills and Talent
Naturaldisaster
8/15/08 2:37:33AM
possibly. I think he definitly has a better chance of doing so than brandon vera ever did
MikeyG
8/15/08 2:58:59AM
I'd say cutting to LH from 245 would be too much, maybe if you chopped off his legs he could make 205.

In all seriousness I think he could be HW champ one day.
hotrodttt
8/15/08 3:08:35AM

Posted by MikeyG

I'd say cutting to LH from 245 would be too much, maybe if you chopped off his legs he could make 205.

He can make 205, His last Weigh In he was like 225-230
Mr_Dead_Sexy
8/15/08 4:12:31AM
Cain is a big boy. If he can cut to 205, he has a shot. He needs to showcase his striking a little though.
Svartorm
8/15/08 4:52:50AM
He did against Morris and dropped him repeatedly. He has solid hands, and they're only going to get better at AKA.
MikeyG
8/15/08 5:19:11AM

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by MikeyG

I found 245 on his s-dog page, thats where I got that, guess it changed.

Still, cutting 25-40 pounds is awful and he is imo is suited for HW, Vera is an example of that first dramatic weight cut gone wrong.
Mr_Dead_Sexy
8/15/08 6:14:12AM

Posted by MikeyG

Still, cutting 25-40 pounds is awful and he is imo is suited for HW, Vera is an example of that first dramatic weight cut gone wrong.

I think he was around 235, 240-ish at UFN.
fedorwins1
8/15/08 9:13:53AM

Posted by MikeyG

Forrest cuts like 40 lbs to get to 205, and Cain I'm sure is experienced at cutting weight since he was a great wrestler in college and had to cut weight hundreds of times. It is possible for him to do it, but will he? Probably not, he's doing just fine right now in the HW div.
mkiv9secsupra
8/15/08 9:54:10AM
Cutting that much weight would hinder his strength and he wouldnt be able to take guys down at will anymore in LHW. Guys like Rampage and Liddell he wouldnt even be able to take down at all. I dont think he could become a champ at LHW ever, but could possibly break the top ten rankings at some point.
pv3Hpv3p
8/15/08 10:36:50AM
I think the guy's got a ton of talent, but is still so young and raw... IMO he should stick to bettering himself as a HW and attaining that tite before he even thinks about dropping weightclasses
postman
8/15/08 10:51:35AM
I think that holding the HW and LHW belts at the same time would be harder then any other 2 weight classes. like for Anderson to jump up to 205 hes not going agianst guys that are that much bigger then him where as if you hold the 205 belt you are going to need to be at like 225 to be able to make the cut and still preform well your next fight could end up being agianst a guy 255 to 265. Now I know guys at 225 have beat guys at 255 but I think the drastic weight gain and loss would take a toll quick and you are going to be involved in alot of miss matches in size.

Edit: Thats was post 1000 for me. That is neat.
prozacnation1978
8/15/08 11:30:59AM
i like vera
but with three lackluster performances i am surprised alot of you are still picking him to beat jardine
if he can't even finish reese what makes you think he will beat jardine easily
i see a flash knockout with jardine's hand raised
State_Champ
8/15/08 11:36:11AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i like vera
but with three lackluster performances i am surprised alot of you are still picking him to beat jardine

i picked jardine too. I dislike Vera....
also, cain velasquez is good but i think shane carwin is better.
third, i doubt anyone in UFC right now can hold LHW and HW belts at once
hotrodttt
8/15/08 3:04:48PM

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by MikeyG

We all know that Sherdog's database isn't at all updated, and against Constant, I'm pretty sure he came in at 232 or something like that
jiujitsufreak74
8/15/08 3:07:42PM
LHW is too stacked atm and i don't think he could make too many waves there. however, in a good 3 to 4 years, most of the top LHWs would be retired and Cain would most likely be close to his peak. maybe then he could claim both titles, but the way things stand now i would say not for a while.
copcopps
8/15/08 3:45:25PM
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
8/15/08 6:57:46PM
I wrestled Cain Valsquez three years ago at 197lbs....
LionHeartWarchild
8/16/08 1:22:07AM
I wouldn't put money on that. While he looks to be a very promising fighter, I can't guarantee that he'll find HW gold and the LHW division is just too stacked for him to manage to snag the title. In time maybe he'll develope the skill to become successful there, but as of now I think that's pretty far out to assume.
Naturaldisaster
8/16/08 4:13:32AM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by prozacnation1978

i like vera

i picked jardine too. I dislike Vera....
also, cain velasquez is good but i think shane carwin is better.
third, i doubt anyone in UFC right now can hold LHW and HW belts at once

Carwins fought once in ufc. for all we know it could have been a fluke. H beat wellisch (not a great fighter). He lost to kongo, and carwin and beat Scott junk and perrosh (who lets face it, are no where near top competetion). However Cain has demolished Brad Morris (who's 9-3) and Jake O'brian. Andrei Arlovski has trouble with O'Brian, but Cain absolutly murdered him.

With that being said, yes I think Cain could make 205. However right now im sure he's focused on Gettin to the top of the HW division. We dont even know if he was any interest at all in droppin to LHW anyway.

and for the record I think Brandon vera is Overrated
fonduktoe
8/16/08 7:18:50AM
i think it's a little premature to even give cain one hypothetical title, let alone two
he's got tons of potential but i'm still waiting for his inevitable matchup with a top fighter before i start singing his praises
if he were to whoop on big nog like he has his last two opponents than by all means viva la cain
fedorwins1
8/16/08 11:02:52AM

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Well uhhh that kind of settles it, he can deff. get to 205.
BionicIng
8/17/08 7:12:37AM
i believe that jake obrien was a division two wrestler which is like saying you are a great batter because you just hit a home run off of a aaa pitcher. correct me if im worng
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
8/18/08 2:17:03AM
DIV II wrestlers as a whole may be less than Div I, but their champions and All Americans are as good or better than Div I champs or all americans. Div II wrestling is more competetive than other Div II sports because of Title 9, and scholarship opertunities.

DIV III and NAIA are pretty much the minor legues. Jucco is prolly the worst as a whole, but once agains their champions and all-americans are as good, or better than DIV I wrestlers. This is once again because of scholarship opertunities.

You see, in sports like Footbal or Basketball their are many roster spots, and many scholarship opertunities...therefore all other Divisions are basically minor league BS. However in wrestling there are only 10 spots, limited scholarship opertunities, and in some states due to title 9 Div I schools have cut their wrestling programs, so unless they want out of state tuition Div II is as high as they can go.

With that said many athletes who don't get fullride scholarships to DI schools will compete in junior college (Lesnar, Dollaway) and win/place and recieve a higher scholarship to either a DII or a DI school. Sometimes DI schools are to interested in recuiting younger wrestlers striaght out of HS they forget about those who have been grinding it out for the last couple years, and these wrestlers wind of in DII...just as good or better...like Shane Carwin or Matt Hughes.

So in conclusion...yes...you are wrong.
Dooletchetoreh
8/18/08 2:51:42AM
I am taking Brandon Vera over Cain. Its pathetic how much hate Vera is getting. Here are the facts.

He fought to a fight that was close enough to be a draw with Tim Sylvia after breaking his hand, and it was an awful break in the first round. Remember he slammed Tim in the second round and could only knee him, a healthy Vera probably wins that fight right there.

He was outclinching a enormous heavyweight in Fabricio Werdum and outstriking him on his feet and that fight was bar none one of the most horrible stoppages I have seen in any combat sport at any stage in a fight. I think he had Fabricio figured out and would have won that fight. At the very least it would have been a better fight to watch. Go back and watch that fight. Not a single of Werdums punches where landing cleanly, not a single one. Look how Vera actually looked stronger in that fight than Werdum, who for all his improved striking wanted nothing to do on his feet with Vera.

Against Reese he won a decision, and it was a clear decision victory over a fighter who is better than you think and his performance was obviously due to the cut. Sometimes that is not the clear case, but watching that fight, the way Vera struggled you could tell it was not Reese that he was having a problem with, but adjusting to the weight class. Look at Mike Swicks first fight at that weight class and look Mike Swicks next fight at his new weightclass. Anyone on here who is actually a fighter knows it takes an adjusting when you are switchign a weightclass.

To me he is besides Fedor and Arlovski, the most dynamic heavyweight on the planet. Vera is gonna destroy Jardine. Vera is not overated he is unjustly hated. Big difference friends.
RNC
8/18/08 3:13:45AM
Brandon Vera said he would be the first to capture 2 titles similtaniously and he still doesn't even have one. I don't see Vera ever having a title. Now Cain, he has a better chance at the HW title. But 2 titles, I don't see that happening. The LHW class is stacked, and if Cain did take the belt at HW, I don't see him wanting to drop down. Why leave a weight class where you are dominant and move into one where you could possibly get beat?

Anyhow, if he does do it, he won't be the first. He still has a ways to go to work himself up to a HW title shot, let alone take the belt. Not to mention he has to defend it in such a dominant fashion that he moves down to 205 and works to get the title there. Is it possible? Sure. But somebody like Anderson Silva, GSP, or BJ will do it first. No doubt about it.
Mackavelli
8/18/08 10:30:41AM

Posted by BionicIng

i believe that jake obrien was a division two wrestler which is like saying you are a great batter because you just hit a home run off of a aaa pitcher. correct me if im worng

Jake obrien was a division 1 wreslter in the big ten conference which is imo the toughest conference for wrestling.
Mackavelli
8/18/08 10:33:35AM

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

I thought he was a heavy weight in college. How did you do against him?
bls1919
8/18/08 5:26:58PM
I have to say Cain has impressed the hell out of me. I would love to see him fight Brock. But as for both titles.....i dont thi9nk so. Maybe the HW but not both.
ziegler3334
8/18/08 8:18:09PM
It is definitly a little early to be talking about this, but I am a huge cain fan. He is a dominating fighter. IMO, future heavyweight champ. But I don't think he could go down. Its a stacked LHW devision and he might lose a little gas as well. Vera showed how hard it can be to go down a class. He looked horrible against reese andy, who was clearly just a warm-up that vera was supposed to finish. I do think vera will improve by his fight with jardine, but idk if it'll be enough.
Pages: [1] 2