Cain Velasquez: I'm ready for a shot at Brock Lesnar

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Cain Velasquez: I'm ready for a shot at Brock Lesnar
RhythmAndStyle
3/1/10 4:18:10PM
"Yes. I'm ready. I think I've been ready for a while. The way this sport works is you've just got to prove yourself when you get the chance. I want to fight the best so I can be the best ... I don't know what I do better than (Lesnar) but I do know I'd be ready. I know what I can do, I know I train with really tough guys, and I know I'd prepare myself to give him a really good fight"

Link
Jackelope
3/1/10 4:34:15PM
For me the thing about Cain is he's a terrible style matchup for Lesnar. I like him against nearly every opponent at HW but Lesnar and maybe Frank Mir. His in and out style doesn't seem like it would mesh well against Lesnar because the wrestling pedigree is there to match up with Cain's, and the heavy handed, hard chinned bull-rushing standup style of Lesnar might just overwhelm the undersized Cain.

I hope he proves me wrong since I'm a big fan of his, but after watching his fight against Kongo I still have my questions about his power and his chin. I have no doubt technique wise he's better than Lesnar in every aspect (yes, that includes wrestling) but I just don't know if his technique will make up for the size and power differential.
bjj1605
3/1/10 4:51:23PM
I think that Cain is better everywhere as far as technique goes. But how does that translate into the actual fight? Striking I think he has a lot more speed and better hands/footwork. I think he'd be able to move around and land shots on Lesnar without taking any in return. If he did take a good shot from Brock though, it might be nighty night. He's showed that his chin isn't made of granite, although he does seem to have good recovery. I doubted his punching power too, until I saw him put away Nog like that.

As far as wrestling goes, its hard to say. Brock's wrestling may have been good back in his college days, but now it relies almost exclusively on size and power. He does a lot of things poorly as far as actual technique goes. Randy Couture had a very even wrestling match with Brock and even got the better of it sometimes. Cain is younger, more explosive, and equal/better than randy in wrestling. That leads me to believe he'd be able to out-wrestle Brock enough.

Brock won't hold him down and on the feet he'd have to rely on landing one big shot. I'd see Cain working him for a late TKO.
Jackelope
3/1/10 5:16:08PM

Posted by bjj1605
Cain is younger, more explosive, and equal/better than randy in wrestling.

I don't know if I agree with that statement. Everything else is pretty much a reiteration of what I originally said though- so I agree. Except I should also note that I don't think the Nog he KO'd was the Nog we all remember. Then again, Cain did pack some size on in the last year so it is possible with his continual technique development and his actual gains in physical mass he is punching harder. Hard to say for sure, though.

As far as Cain's wrestling being equal and/or better than Randy's I would say they are two very different styles but that when it comes to MMA I believe Randy has more than proven up to this point that he is quite possibly the greatest MMA HW wrestler out there. I think if it weren't for Brock's size that Randy would have tossed him around the cage with his superior technique. Not to mention all of Randy's olympic training which took him quite a bit beyond college where Cain stopped.

Anyways, though.. time will tell with all of this stuff. I'd love to see Cain double leg Lesnar right out of his shoes
Jride
3/1/10 5:17:15PM
I am rooting for Cain but I have a feeling that everything Cain does, Lesnar does better.
Pookie
3/1/10 5:20:42PM
Ill take Cain when this happens.

Lesnar will get tired fighting for the takedown and not getting it. And on the feet he has a punchers chance and not much else IMO.
Jride
3/1/10 5:26:15PM

Posted by Pookie

Lesnar will get tired fighting for the takedown and not getting it. And on the feet he has a punchers chance and not much else IMO.

Nobody knows how Cain is on his back.

And has anyone tried taking him down? I cant recall Cain stuffing a takedown.
bjj1605
3/1/10 5:38:47PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by bjj1605

I don't know if I agree with that statement. Everything else is pretty much a reiteration of what I originally said though- so I agree. Except I should also note that I don't think the Nog he KO'd was the Nog we all remember. Then again, Cain did pack some size on in the last year so it is possible with his continual technique development and his actual gains in physical mass he is punching harder. Hard to say for sure, though.

As far as Cain's wrestling being equal and/or better than Randy's I would say they are two very different styles but that when it comes to MMA I believe Randy has more than proven up to this point that he is quite possibly the greatest MMA HW wrestler out there. I think if it weren't for Brock's size that Randy would have tossed him around the cage with his superior technique. Not to mention all of Randy's olympic training which took him quite a bit beyond college where Cain stopped.

Anyways, though.. time will tell with all of this stuff. I'd love to see Cain double leg Lesnar right out of his shoes

I agree that they're very different styles of wrestling and I may have been stretching it when I added the /better. But it's certainly close to as good and maybe as good. You can't deny that he's quicker and more explosive though. The reason I see that as important is because he won't have to out muscle Brock.

As Brock grabs a hold of Cain, Cain will be able to use switches and arm drags to reverse the situation. if he can get behind Brock we might just see the big man flying through the air
Pookie
3/1/10 5:47:51PM

Posted by Jride

Posted by Pookie

Nobody knows how Cain is on his back.

And has anyone tried taking him down? I cant recall Cain stuffing a takedown.

Lesnar got his takedowns stuffed by Couture, and was starting to gas in the second from having to work for every takedown. Other than that hes shown he can take down Mir and Herring, 2 fighters with horrendous wrestling.

Lesnar's bulk is going to give him cardio issues, especially when he cant control the pace of the fight or where the fight takes place. Against Cain, he has niether luxury as i see him facing the same problems he faced against a much smaller wrestler in couture.

Brock Lesnars strength is in his GnP, and i dont see the fight getting there. Lesnar may have a punchers chance of course, but unless hes sharpened up his stand-up and shaken the ring rust, i sincerely doubt hes grown in his time off.
Jackelope
3/1/10 5:49:07PM

Posted by bjj1605

I agree that they're very different styles of wrestling and I may have been stretching it when I added the /better. But it's certainly close to as good and maybe as good. You can't deny that he's quicker and more explosive though. The reason I see that as important is because he won't have to out muscle Brock.

As Brock grabs a hold of Cain, Cain will be able to use switches and arm drags to reverse the situation. if he can get behind Brock we might just see the big man flying through the air

Yeah you're definitely right about as close as you can get and potentially nearly as good as Randy's. I think he's basically going to show the HW division how a dominant freestyle wrestler can toss people around in much the same fashion as how Randy showed a dominant greco wrestler can toss people around.

I've always been an advocate for technique over strength- so here's to hoping you're right about Lesnar flying through the air I'd love to see him do to Lesnar what he did to Rothwell! (I know it's a fat chance lol)
icantthinkofanything
3/1/10 6:14:09PM
I like the way Cain is not saying he would beat Lesnar.
I would like the belts to reunite first...
but if they cant, Cain deserves it more than Jr. imo
I think Cain could take down Lesnar if he wanted
but i dont know who i think would win
chickmagnet
3/1/10 7:50:24PM
Cain will be the champ by the end of this year. JDS is a contender coming up and if he wins his next fight hell get his spot behind Cain.

Eventually Cain vs. JDS would be an awesome title fight.

I really think Cain has the syle to beat Brock, I also believe he could beat Mir as well as Carwin.
xdanish020
3/1/10 8:01:41PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by bjj1605

I don't know if I agree with that statement.

What part don't you agree with? Cain is all of the above....Randy is great but lets be real, we all saw how Nog's fight went against Randy and Cain...
sbulldavid
3/1/10 8:07:56PM
I gotta go with Cain. Lesner isn't going to be 100% even though Brock at 90% is still very good, he isn't a world class wrestler anymore, he's a real strong wrestler with good speed for his size. I can't see him beating any of the other top guys on a consistent basis. Dos Santos, Carwin, Cain, all beat him consistently. Mir is the only one he beats half the time and only because of his weak wrestling defense.
miphi1991
3/1/10 10:09:56PM
You guys are all talking like Brock isn't a world-class wrestler anymore and so on like his skills have changed or deteriorated. First off I'm not sure you could ever consider Brock a "world-class" wrestler, as he has never competed on the international circuit. Does that mean he is not capable, no it just means there is no evidence to prove that he is.

Secondly I do not know how many of you have seen Brock's collegiate matches, but I can tell you that they bascially consisit of the muscle-head bruising technique. He has always relied on strength and size, as he still does today in MMA. (Not bashing just stating facts) Brock has never has the smooth slick pretty wrestling technique. Now the only question is how does Brocks donkey-kong smash match up with Cain's skillset
BustedKnuckle
3/1/10 10:27:18PM
All I have to say is the Randy, a heavy 220lb HW stuffed a feww of Brock TD's and Cain can do much more than that. I will go with Cain TKO in this fight. GnP after he capitailizes on a missed TD by Brock. Lesnar will have a problem takeing it to the mat and thejn he is a world of hurt!
Boo_Radley21
3/1/10 10:39:20PM
Cain is probably the second best heavyweight in the UFC right now, if not he's tied with Mir. But he's too small for Lesnar, and will get overpowerd and probably tko'd before the 3rd IMO.
Jackelope
3/1/10 11:16:36PM

Posted by xdanish020

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by bjj1605

I don't know if I agree with that statement.

What part don't you agree with? Cain is all of the above....Randy is great but lets be real, we all saw how Nog's fight went against Randy and Cain...

As far as wrestling pedigrees go I can't say Cain is a better wrestler than Randy and maintain any ounce of credibility. Notice at the end of his sentence it says equal/better than randy in wrestling

As far as caliber of fighters in this day and age? I completely agree that Cain is younger, more explosive, and a better FIGHTER than Couture. I'd take him in a match up against Randy any day of the week.

prozacnation1978
3/1/10 11:35:51PM
i honestly think that JDS CAN BEAT CAIN, SHANE, LESNAR

i do think cain is most derserving and should fight for title in july
miphi1991
3/2/10 12:23:24AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

I like JDS a lot man. I really want to see him land a challenging fight. Than again we have yet to see either Cain or JDS in a war or even in a tough fight. (Cain vs Kongo maybe)
sbulldavid
3/2/10 2:51:54AM
If you really think about it none of the heavyweights have done anything extremely special. IMO Dos Santos and Cain are the best, I think Dos Santos is the future but I think Cain is best right now. Mir could get himself back in the picture if he would just work on take down offense and defense more, he however is the most dangerous off his back. Carwin has a chance against anybody however I don't think his technique will hold up consistently against the better fighters.
BigBadAl
3/2/10 8:54:31AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

And think if JDS and Cain fought tomorrow JDS would win. BY KO.
EliasG
3/3/10 12:35:16AM
Cain is very very fast and has extremely solid hands technique. He was twice as fast as Big Nog--that's why Nog got caught.

Cain can match Lesnar's wrestling and raise him hands. Lesnar throws wild wide punches and comes in straight with his chin up. I think Cain can destroy him, quite frankly. I wasn't a huge Cain fan and wanted to see him against even more talent and I'm quite convinced now that he can give Lesnar fits.

His footwork is great, his work ethic is incredible, he's smart, has a gameplan, and I would argue his wrestling is better. Remember Lesnar was getting beaten by a 220 pound 40 something Coture in wrestling. that's crazy when you're "proficiency" is wrestling.

Yeah Cain is ready. Carwin probably deserves a shot too first, but he's ready.