As of right now...Cain vs Dos Santos

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » As of right now...Cain vs Dos Santos
NatedawgThaM
3/21/10 11:16:43PM
The future of the Heavyweight division. Obviously both have been impressing the hell out of the MMA world, both have displayed great boxing with amazing power, Dos Santos trains with probably the best grapplers in MMA history IMO, and Cain's wrestling is fierce and relentless. Both have beaten the living piss out of everyone thrown in front of them.

Who takes this if they were to face each other now?

higdon10
3/21/10 11:19:09PM
I would have to lean towards Cain, but dos Santos is a sniper.
NatedawgThaM
3/21/10 11:20:06PM
I think if they stood and traded, Dos Santos would probably get the better of Cain and maybe even eventually knock him out, he's just so fast and powerful. But this is MMA, so with Cain's wrestling and relentless work rate that makes this a whole other fight, either one could easily put this out. I've just seen Cain more vulnerable then Dos Santos so I'll say him for now. God I can't wait to see these too fight again and finally get their cracks at the title!!! I can't believe the UFC Heavyweight division is so sick now compared to how it use to be.
Jackelope
3/21/10 11:24:47PM
Cain tossed around 265 lb. Ben Rothwell like he was a child. At this point I don't see Dos Santos being able to shrug off Cain's wrestling.

Then again, to get inside Cain has to get past Dos Santos' hands. Still, I think Cain could cover that distance and grind him out for 15 minutes np.
State_Champ
3/21/10 11:25:43PM
Dos Santos wins it IF the fight stays upright.
IF Velasquez takes the fight to the mat then maybe he could win a decision. I'm not sure if I can picture Velasquez finishing Dos Santos, but I can definitely see Dos Santos finishing Velasquez.
.....The more I think about it, the more I have no idea who to pick in this match-up. Every time I envision Velasquez KOing Big Nog I begin to second guess my belief that Velasquez cannot finish Dos Santos on the feet or anywhere else.

I think I'll tentatively choose Dos Santos because of his KO power.
But.....
kopower
3/21/10 11:40:37PM

Posted by State_Champ

Dos Santos wins it IF the fight stays upright.
IF Velasquez takes the fight to the mat then maybe he could win a decision. I'm not sure if I can picture Velasquez finishing Dos Santos, but I can definitely see Dos Santos finishing Velasquez.
.....The more I think about it, the more I have no idea who to pick in this match-up. Every time I envision Velasquez KOing Big Nog I begin to second guess my belief that Velasquez cannot finish Dos Santos on the feet or anywhere else.

I think I'll tentatively choose Dos Santos because of his KO power.
But.....

I think Cain would take the fight to the ground and pull of a UD. Like you said, I can't see him ko'ing Junior. I could see Dos Santos knocking out Cain though. I just think Cain's relentless takedowns would be the deciding factor.
jae_1833
3/22/10 12:28:13AM
I would definately pick Can V....by R2 TKO GNP!
seanfu
3/22/10 1:10:28AM
I haven't seen the most recent fight, but from what i've watched, he's never been put on his back from a top level guy, so that fight seems tough to pick.
Taylor8766
3/22/10 1:23:29AM
Good post, possibly the next match-up we could see for these guys IMO if it stays standing Dos Santos has a slight edge, but Cain does have some great stand-up. Now if it hits the ground I could see Cain doing some serious GNP but not enough to win on TKO. I think it goes to a close decision with Cain taking it unamious.
shotokansun
3/22/10 1:38:55AM
dos Santos has a lot for Cain to deal with if he decided to stand and bang with him, but I don't think it would come to that. Cain has the wrestling ability to overwhelm almost anyone, so I really don't see this staying upright for very long, unless Junior lands a flash KO before Can can get comfortable.
BeeR
3/22/10 6:18:30AM
If Kongo could land big shots on Cain, they Dos Santos will knock him out IF cain doesnt keep him down.
lohmann
3/22/10 7:39:01AM
I think Velasquez takes out Dos Santos with little difficulty.

Velasquez excels in almost every area, and because of his multifaceted arsenal it allows him to dictate where the fight goes: against Nogueira, he exploited Nogueira's slowed-down striking; against Kongo, he exposed Kongo's poor grappling; against Rothwell, he showed that even the biggest men at heavyweight are not safe from his takedowns. Against Dos Santos, he would take him down and keep him down, and Dos Santos would suffer a TKO or decision loss under the weight of Velasquez's ground and pound.

Even if the fight remained on the feet, Dos Santos would have a slight advantage, but Velasquez has demonstrated more defensive striking than every opponent Dos Santos has faced so far, so I don't think Dos Santos lands an easy big shot that puts away Velasquez. Combined with Dos Santos probably having to keep a lot of distance and having no leg kicks at his disposal for fear of a takedown, I think Velasquez is at least a competitive striking matchup for Dos Santos (although, in a fifteen minute battle that never hits the ground I'd pick Cigano every time).

I think Velasquez takes out everybody at heavyweight, even Lesnar, who would have to contend with clinch work from a young fighter with great potential, not an old man in the twilight of his career.
Pookie
3/22/10 7:57:22AM
Id take Cain to win by decision, but doubt he'd win if he didnt put more emphasis on control rather than damage.
Boo_Radley21
3/22/10 12:16:14PM
Cain by taking him down at will and peppering him with GnP
emfleek
3/22/10 12:24:12PM
We all win.
DCRage
3/22/10 12:32:19PM

Posted by BeeR

If Kongo could land big shots on Cain, they Dos Santos will knock him out IF cain doesnt keep him down.

But Kongo couldn't keep Cain down. Cain has a CHIN. That's one reason why he wins.
cloud301336
3/22/10 12:59:49PM
I'll AV bet anyone if this fight were to happen, but for the UFC's sake i doubt they'd make it happen. JDS would win first round KO. he'd catch cain like kongo did but he wouldn't get up
DCRage
3/22/10 1:07:54PM
Only way it possibly happens in the next year is if the Carwin-Mir winner is able to go in July against Brock, then perhaps put Cain & Dos Santos together for the shot. In other words, turn Cain possibly into Kenny Florian-make him wait a while for his shot and perhaps let him gamble on losing it by taking another ifght in the meantime.
BeeR
3/22/10 3:19:55PM

Posted by lohmann

Velasquez excels in almost every area, and because of his multifaceted arsenal it allows him to dictate where the fight goes: against Nogueira, he exploited Nogueira's slowed-down striking; against Kongo, he exposed Kongo's poor grappling; against Rothwell, he showed that even the biggest men at heavyweight are not safe from his takedowns. Against Dos Santos, he would take him down and keep him down, and Dos Santos would suffer a TKO or decision loss under the weight of Velasquez's ground and pound.

Even if the fight remained on the feet, Dos Santos would have a slight advantage, but Velasquez has demonstrated more defensive striking than every opponent Dos Santos has faced so far, so I don't think Dos Santos lands an easy big shot that puts away Velasquez. Combined with Dos Santos probably having to keep a lot of distance and having no leg kicks at his disposal for fear of a takedown, I think Velasquez is at least a competitive striking matchup for Dos Santos (although, in a fifteen minute battle that never hits the ground I'd pick Cigano every time).

I think Velasquez takes out everybody at heavyweight, even Lesnar, who would have to contend with clinch work from a young fighter with great potential, not an old man in the twilight of his career.

Cains striking is nowhere near Dos Santos, power or technically.

He was also dropped 3 times by Kongo, Cain may be tough, but If JDS lands a clean shot like kongo did (with relative ease, straight down the middle) the Cain is going night night, no ifs ands or buts about it, Kongo didnt capitalize on it because he didnt want to go to the ground wether Cain was rocked or not, JDS will pounce AND finish if he has the chance.

I want to see this matchup because I would like to see JDS on the ground against top comp but there is no way Cain wins this fight unless its 3 rounds on the ground.

Posted by DCRage

Posted by BeeR

But Kongo couldn't keep Cain down. Cain has a CHIN. That's one reason why he wins.

Kongo didnt WANT to keep him down, I wouldnt even say he tried, And you cant say he has a chin, Ive see Cain take 3 power shots in all his fights, and he was dropped by all 3 of them, having a chin is taking a beating and not going to sleep, getting put on your ass whens you get hit hard is not having a chin, as soon as He fights someone that will capitalize on that, he'ss suffer his 1st loss. and JDS WILL capitalize on it.

Bring on the fight, the world wants it!
marcoDGK
3/22/10 4:16:08PM

Posted by emfleek

We all win.

aint that the truth!!
CwB
3/22/10 6:57:12PM

Posted by marcoDGK

Posted by emfleek

We all win.

aint that the truth!!

This fight is almost impossible to call...

First, we know nothing of JDS's ground game. I doubt his wrestling is anywhere near Cains but does he have Chuck like skills (you might take him down but you wont keep em down) or is his BJJ good enough to catch Cain. Which is another unknown, Cains level of BJJ.

Second, Cains stand-up is still in question. Cains striking looked leaps and bounds better vs Nog then it did vs Kongo but how will he do against the best striker in UFC's HW Div. We know he has huge power but can his chin hold up against JDS.

Im leaning towards JDS right now based on, I dont think Cain will be able to finish Jr and three rounds leaves plenty of time to find the KO.
TheBestEVER
3/23/10 12:42:08AM

Posted by lohmann

I agree with some of the things you said but not everything. For the most part I think that Cain is more well rounded than Dos Santos, but Cigano's standup is def superior in my opinion. We havnt seen his ground game. He trains everyday with some, if not the best grapplers in the world. He also trains with the best standup fighters in all of the world.
Cain beat a "slowed down" Nog yeah, but DS is far from slowed down. It's not just his rediculous power its his speed and accuracy that is landing him the big punches he finishing everyone with. If he can stuff a few takedowns and land a clean punch on Cain, which he probably will, it may be all be needs. Cain nearly got KO'd two times by Congo and Jr. is packing just as much power and arguably better standup than Cheik. I wouldnt be super suprised if it went the other way and Cain won. I can see either one dominating the division.
BustedKnuckle
3/26/10 8:19:09PM
IMO it would come down to how JDS handleed the wrestling of Velasquez. He trains with the Nog bros, A. Silva, and all the talent at Blackhouse, so his Jits should be up to par. TD defense would be his main chink in his armor. It really hasn't been tested so its hard to say. I would love to see this fight and would leantoward a Dos Santos TKO. Cain would have to get close to take him down. And Cain has strikes but not like JDS has. WAR this fight
Caesarrrr
4/1/10 3:14:50PM
I give this one to cain. You saw how he handled being rocked against Kongo, I could see him being able to withstand JDS and win.
MisterFreeze
4/1/10 3:45:26PM

Actually we saw Gonzaga take JDS down momentarily, but JDS bounced right back up. From what I hear JDS actually has incredible ground skills!
I would pick JDS to KO Cain V.
I maintain that JDS is going to be the HW champ by the end of the year and nobody will beat him for a long time!!
Perhaps eventually the UFC will sign Fedor and we will see Fedor vs JDS!?!?!