Cage Or Ring? What do you think?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Cage Or Ring? What do you think?
« Previous Page | Next Page »
Tein_Lung
2/19/08 6:35:06AM
ITs not the UFCs choice for knees to the head of a downed opponent, that was one of the NSAC stipulations, if you look when pride was in the US they had the same rules as the UFC without the elbows... perosnaly i like the idead of kneeing a dudes dome whiles hes down it would make for alot less LnP because there is another option of attack... but people in the US think thats too violent
The_Ho_Bag
2/24/08 9:47:29AM
well the cage i was in was kinda small so i really could work angles alot but i never been inside a decent size one but a ring is more to my likings as i can work more angles and i have more room to move around
seanfu
3/9/08 4:41:44PM
The ring gives a favorible pace and evenness in matchups but eliminates the quick finish. The cage favors wrestling and makes BJJ less important along with most striking.

The ring better reflects a purrer version of the sport.

I would say cage though, it keeps a better flow and much higher pace.
KB24
3/17/08 6:03:11PM
I hate the ring
The_Ho_Bag
3/18/08 4:55:18PM
i like the ring better , more room to move and work angles
skinnator
3/22/08 7:56:13PM
Definitely Cage its more exciting.

The Ring you have in Boxing Wrestling(Sometimes Cages) and also some MMA.
smky213
3/27/08 10:28:46AM
i think thewy both have adv. and disadv. i like the ring for the visibility way better camera angles.i dont mind the restarts. the cage is cool i like the lock down until its over no where to go.but i really hate when they just lay on the fence for minutes at a time either clinched throwin little patty cake shots to the gut. can get kinda boring.as far as grabbing either way if your falling or trying to avoid a take down its just natural instinct to grab whatever u can . but i personally prefer the ring.
RampageOwnedYou
3/29/08 8:27:50PM

Now that UFC and PRIDE have merged into one organization, what style of fighting arena should be used. Some say the cage and others feel that the ring should be used. What are your thoughts?

Funny, saw this EXACT same question on inside mma. lol

TheDamageDoctor
4/17/08 10:38:20PM
The one thing I never liked about Pride was all the delays with the ropes etc.
How do you stop a fighter in a dominant position, pounding the piss out of his opponent, and say "OK, back to the middle and restart the fight"
The only people that was ever good for was the guy getting his teeth knocked in or the judges not getting even more blood + sweat on them!

THE C A G E FOREVER ! ! !

A ring, rink, ropes, whatever, is for boxing + ice skating!
Hannibal_H
4/24/08 5:53:06PM
I don't mind which is used but, if I were to choose, it would probably be in a cage. I think it adds a great element to the sport in a way of giving it an identity away from boxing and co, and adds to the atmosphere to events. Although, I suppose it fuels some assclowns crap about it being human cockfighting in a cage, etc.
bigbubbano23
5/3/08 11:18:00PM
cage it works as a third opponent and no risk of falling out
pimpcane_69
5/8/08 6:51:34PM
A cage all the way, a ring makes a yound unexperienced fighter feel safe that he can hop through the ropes if a beast like Kimbo is fighting him, but in a cage there is NO ESCAPE

a cage also looks BADASS!!!
bobbydoomocculta
5/29/08 12:47:39AM
I prefer a ring myself... If it was my job to decide the combat arena... I'd use the octagon for the geometry of avoiding being cornered... but with ring ropes and lot's of space level to the ring in case the fighters fell through the ropes... It'd still look as bad-ass as the cage... but we'd have knees and stomps on the ground...

But it's not my job to decide... so I'll shut up now...
breakdown5
6/6/08 11:43:48PM
I most definitely prefer the cage for MMA. The ring is probably better for the live show but I hate restarts.
vistol
6/8/08 1:31:12PM
i think in a cage it is to easy to lay a guy on the fence and take away his ground skill, while in a ring if things get to close to the edge they can just drag you back to the middle of the ring. i would rather watch guys in the ring cuz i think it is based more on who is better on the ground and not just about who can get there guy on the fence first.
Qorvus
8/25/08 10:53:24AM
I don't think the cage is ideal, but I get really irritated when the action in the ring goes through the ropes, and the fighters are repositioned in the middle of the ring. It breaks momentum, and gives the guy getting beat up a chance to recover.
haggiswashere
9/5/08 9:47:04PM
cage 2000%. It gives it a more hardcore feeling and you don't have problems like frank shamrock vs bas rutten falling out and you don't have like twenty people grabbing the ropes and slapping the fighters hands when the fighters grab on to the ropes
palaceonballas
9/6/08 2:29:13AM
near the end of this interview dan henderson talks about his preference between cage and ring.... among other things... here is the link to the video in purefight.org

http://www.purefight.org/videos/speaker/1441-dan-henderson/72527-the-mental-side
higdon10
10/30/08 10:18:44PM

Posted by haggiswashere

cage 2000%. It gives it a more hardcore feeling and you don't have problems like frank shamrock vs bas rutten falling out and you don't have like twenty people grabbing the ropes and slapping the fighters hands when the fighters grab on to the ropes

RampageOwnedYou
11/2/08 11:51:54AM
From a fans point of view, i personally like the Ring.
Makes it better to watch, as well you see more.
With a cage, it just causes to many problems to view (if at the event)

From a fighters view, im sure the ring has more benefits. But if your more of a standup guy, you would want a ring. With a Cage, ground guys can use it to their advanatage.
Sledge23
11/3/08 7:00:03PM
I'm going cage.
-to much stoppage and wasted time in a ring.
-You cant fall out of a cage.
-This isnt boxing, its ok to be different.
-You keep beasts in cages.
BDON911
11/25/08 1:00:42PM
cage seems to be a little tougher since the pace is different. you don't get the restarts and what not in a cage
thefightexpo
12/19/08 10:21:29PM
Cage
TheCatFather
12/22/08 2:12:10PM
I like the Cage because it gives it that "Mad Max" feel, "2 men enter, only one leaves".
Aether
2/11/09 9:18:42PM
NEITHER!

My vision for the future of MMA is a BULLET PROOF MEGAGON!!!! That's right. A megagon. It has ONE MILLION sides. That's like... half a million times better than a boring octagon! Plus if they made it out of bulletproof glass, you wouldn't hear any more of this "STOP GRABBING THE MEGAGON!" stuff from the refs.

Plus Tito Ortiz would've beat Rashad Evans.
Rush
11/5/09 5:01:14PM

Posted by Aether

NEITHER!

My vision for the future of MMA is a BULLET PROOF MEGAGON!!!! That's right. A megagon. It has ONE MILLION sides. That's like... half a million times better than a boring octagon! Plus if they made it out of bulletproof glass, you wouldn't hear any more of this "STOP GRABBING THE MEGAGON!" stuff from the refs.

Actually a megagon would be 125,000 times better than an octagon, but who's counting right?

In the event a megagon is used, I think it would be cool if the ref spoke in a voice like soundwave from transformers saying, "STOP GRABBING THE MEGAGON!"

Finally, I thought Rashad would have beat Tito if the megagon could not have been grabbed, but I may be remembering incorrectly.
ncordless
11/10/09 2:06:26PM
Why have any confining barrier at all? I say they stick em in the middle of a 100km^2 padded surface and let the cards fall where they may.

emfleek
11/10/09 2:12:44PM

Posted by ncordless

Why have any confining barrier at all? I say they stick em in the middle of a 100km^2 padded surface and let the cards fall where they may.

Padded surface???

I say we kick it old school...

MMA SCAFFOLD MATCH!!!

cowcatcher
11/10/09 2:15:07PM

Posted by ncordless

finally a proper venue for the highly anticipated kalib/quarry rematch is discussed on here.
king_katool
11/11/09 12:20:15AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Aether

NEITHER!

Actually a megagon would be 125,000 times better than an octagon, but who's counting right?

In the event a megagon is used, I think it would be cool if the ref spoke in a voice like soundwave from transformers saying, "STOP GRABBING THE MEGAGON!"

Finally, I thought Rashad would have beat Tito if the megagon could not have been grabbed, but I may be remembering incorrectly.

no rush you are remember correctly altho every1 says tito would have one, why i have no clue, go back watch the fight. rd1=tito,rd3=rashad, rd2 is where the ?? come in, how many times does tito grab the fence, lots, rashad couldve had at least 3 TD's, and did you see what he did with them in the 3rd,

sorry, i ALWAYS jump in on this subject, i HATE hearing "tito beat rashad, he shouldve won, or he did win", the fact is tito cheated multiple times, hes lucky he got the D and not a L
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5