Cage Or Ring? What do you think?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Cage Or Ring? What do you think?
Next Page »
VanellaL47
4/15/07 7:13:26PM
Now that UFC and PRIDE have merged into one organization, what style of fighting arena should be used. Some say the cage and others feel that the ring should be used. What are your thoughts?
Northrend
4/15/07 7:16:57PM
I like the ring cause its easier to see and you can't just lay people on the fence. But I don't think UFC will ever get rid of their cage.
xthe_scottx
4/15/07 7:20:25PM
I personally say the caged octagon. It eliminates distinct corners and doesn't have the problem of fighters falling out or having to restart the fight in the center. While I've been told it doesn't have good visibility live, most people aren't watching live.
Junior24
4/15/07 7:22:12PM
I think they should use both. Kinda like in tennis. Where one tourney is clay, the next is grass, next is hard, etc. I think it would be good for MMA. I think Pride shud do the same thing.
hippysmacker
4/15/07 7:36:22PM
Pinned to stop repeat threads.

I prefer the cage.
1. People I know who prefer the ring always say it's better for viewing. Agreed , but if 20, 000 people are watching it live, and 10 million are watching it on TV , it seems an irrelevant argument to me. Majority rules the majority of the time.
2. No one gets caught in the ropes in a cage
3. No one falls or jumps out of the cage. Horodecki/Palaszewski a recent example
4. I like the Thunderdome aspect of the cage. Doors locked and no way out till the fights over. " 2 men enter , 1 man leave" the winner that is
papercut
4/15/07 7:40:09PM

Posted by xthe_scottx

I personally say the caged octagon. It eliminates distinct corners and doesn't have the problem of fighters falling out or having to restart the fight in the center.

I think its better if people aren't falling out of the ring and making them stop to move back to the center
Juggernaut
4/15/07 8:18:27PM

Posted by xthe_scottx

I personally say the caged octagon. It eliminates distinct corners and doesn't have the problem of fighters falling out or having to restart the fight in the center. While I've been told it doesn't have good visibility live, most people aren't watching live.

I agree with that completely. alot of fights in the ring end when somebody gets driven into the corner and can't do anything. and also ther is the oppertunity and insticnt to grab the ropes when you're in the corner. the cage eliminates this and also gives the fighters more room to work and move around whichmeans alot more things are possible. everybody who has ever foght before knows that more room makes alot of a difference
Rush
4/15/07 11:52:00PM
I think I am leaning towards the cage, but in defense of the ring, the ropes allow a more complex form of GnP. You can GnP from more angles through the ropes. With that said the ring offered the ability of stomping through the ropes. Since this rule is now obsolete, under the unified rules, I am not sure if the ring offers more pros than cons.

Ropes are easier to grab than the cage too.

On the flipside, I find that a lot of ground action in the UFC occurs on the fence. I think this really slows down the action.
Orlandi0053
4/16/07 1:14:18AM

Posted by Junior24

I think they should use both. Kinda like in tennis. Where one tourney is clay, the next is grass, next is hard, etc. I think it would be good for MMA. I think Pride shud do the same thing.

I think both would be nice and it still would show that they didnt completly got rid of everythign pride
garrick
4/16/07 11:29:05AM
Their not getting rid of everything from pride, but UFC bought pride, therefore it should be an octagon.
JimiMak
4/16/07 4:25:53PM
Hopefully we'll never see PRIDE adopt the cage. We will absolutely never see the UFC adopt a ring. I like that there is both. I heavily prefer the ring but have done this conversation to death already. Noone ever believes it can work but I think the open mat brings it down to the essentials, two guys w/o interference from an enclosed environment. Like they do in grappling tournaments. There has been mma done this way, but not by any major organization that I know of.

Here's link to a long conversation we've already had on here abuot this where I provided some good links to some open mat mma matches.
Basshandsome
4/17/07 4:24:01AM
I really perfer the octogan. In the ring, they have to constantly stop the action and move it back to the center which gives the fighters time to regroup a little. I say leave the ring to professional wrestling...
BigWilly
4/17/07 8:01:32PM
i like the cage cause it avoids the fight constantly getting stopped and moved to the center of the ring....
shinobi
4/17/07 11:09:54PM
Cage, i know its not better live, but fighters rely on momentum of takedowns etc to finish fights, plus, it seperates it from pro wrestling and boxing, also, every fighter has the same advantage and disadvantage of the cage. they need to get used to it. people fall through the ropes of the ring, or they go under and get stood back up or put in the center allowing mini breaks and time to think or lose momentum.
Jeffanori-Gomi
4/19/07 12:17:35AM
If the UFC allows knee strikes to the head on a downed opponent then cage, if not ring
Kisame
4/22/07 4:20:17PM
I see no advantages to a ring at all.

I've always been of the opinion that the cage should be a manadatory thing for all MMA competitions. There is no reseting when you are against the cage. Fighters tend to grab the cage less and even if you do grab it its much easier for the ref to see, and there isn't any bouncing against the ropes gaining extra momentum and throwing wild haymakers.
chentay2112
4/22/07 10:14:05PM
i prefer the cage because it can be used as an advantage by both men
1. for ground and pound
2. gives a fighter a chance to stand back up
also when you have two men in a clinch and they crash against the cage their is no chance of them falling through like there is if you have ropes
Lord_Lenny
4/24/07 10:02:42PM
the ring is definitely better for viewing, but im a fan of cage fighting. I have heard rumors of a clear cage, tho im not sure how they would do it
kbak303
4/26/07 12:44:09PM
personally, as a newcomer to the sport...IMHO they should utilize both (in what manner or what rotation i have no idea)

it's the same in other sports, so I compare it this way. some teams play great on turf, others on grass so they play where they land, baseball...tennis, football

why not have both?rotate them out...kind of a 'home field advantage' for some fighters..not for others?
jtwalker
4/29/07 2:11:27AM
I Like the ring myself. It seems that you have to be more athletic to fight in a ring.
pv3Hpv3p
5/2/07 2:02:36PM

Posted by Kisame

I see no advantages to a ring at all.

I've always been of the opinion that the cage should be a manadatory thing for all MMA competitions. There is no reseting when you are against the cage. Fighters tend to grab the cage less and even if you do grab it its much easier for the ref to see, and there isn't any bouncing against the ropes gaining extra momentum and throwing wild haymakers.

fighters grab the cage at least as often as they do ring ropes... It's just a natural instinct to grab whatever is near you when you're getting picked up in a fight...

having the cage is a definite advantage to wrestlers... While very few fighters can post up and stand using the cage like Chuck... Anyone with any sort of fundamental wrestling skill can push the fight into the cage, at which point it's basically used as a weapon in their favor.

I used to think the cage was where it was at, but after really thinking about it (and a couple of good debates on here), I realize that the ring would not only lend a little bit of credibility to the sport (would shed some of the "human cock-fighting" stigma, and make it a little more comparable to the social-accepted sport of boxing), but it's also more nuetral of a setting... I don't mind the restarts actually, I think it leads to less LnPing which in turn leads to less decisions which in turn leads to more exciting fights.
rcg916
5/8/07 5:30:19AM
I think the ring is a much more neutral ground. Meaning, that a guy used to fighting in a cage wouldnt be at as big of a disadvantage as the guy used to a ring, climbing into the cage for the first time. Besides footwork differences, Im sure theres a mental difference...IMO of course.
CaseyKrajenka
5/8/07 5:43:17PM
I LOVE THE CAGE!!!

I think the caged in octagon just adds to the excitement of the fight. I would hate to see the cage go.
OB_Juan
5/14/07 5:56:59PM
Rings were designed for boxing. They are great for stand up only fights but don't properly contain fighters once the aspect of grappling is added.
DJDark41
5/25/07 1:31:35PM
The cage by far. I hate watching PRIDE, and seeing a guy go for a takedown just to have the guy hang on the ropes and avoid it, then win the fight because the guy can't take him down cause he keeps holding the ropes. The Octagon/Cage I think makes it a bit more strategic, because you can keep backing your opponent up and press him to the cage and beat him down, and he actually has to work to escape, rather then just start sliding out of the ring, and under the ropes, and get the ref to stand you back up. Cage > Ring.
boob
6/2/07 10:28:25AM
Gotta have the cage, the days of the ropes and ring is over.
rdowney19
6/3/07 12:22:52PM

Posted by Junior24

Very well put, great idea. That's my answer too
Naturaldisaster
6/9/07 5:41:23AM
I prefer the caged octagon. Its like the 2 gladiators are locked in until the fight is over. but I like the ring to.
and certain fighters are more entertaining in the ring then they are the cage. (vise versa) I don't know if I spelled that right. example CC is more entertaining in the ring than the cage, because he is more confortable and more at home in the ring
GrandMaster313
6/14/07 4:10:29PM
Cage all the way. I hate seeing fighters when they are getting pumbled fall through the rope so that the fight doesn't stop. I'd like to see them try to fall through a chain link cage
SubmitYou
6/14/07 9:01:34PM
I would love to see a UFC event held in one of these... ;)
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5