Bye bye UFC, Hello Affliction

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Bye bye UFC, Hello Affliction
the_01
7/31/08 6:21:06AM
For a long time, UFC dominated the mma arena, it is finally time for a competition. Pride provided compatiotion at one time, but they had bad management to go with that, and eventually fell. Now affliction is coming strong, they pay more to the fighters as I have been reading (Fedor=$1.6 million and Sylvia=$600 thousand), which means better preformance, the first Affliction fight card was stacked, which forces them to stay on the same track with the rest of their events. I think if the UFC stays as it is (Low pay, prehistoric WWF entrances for the fighters, Dana showing off more than the fighters, etc ....), eventually, we are living the last moments of this organization's eminent position in mma.
ufcboss
7/31/08 6:36:33AM
"prehistoric WWF entrances for the fighters" WTF??? What UFC do you watch in saudi arabia???

"(Fedor=$1.6 million and Sylvia=$600 thousand), which means better preformance" Yeah, Sure! Boxers who earn millions dont put on a show like some MMA fighter, The fighters who fight for money only, wont last.

Just had to get that off my chest, Affliction done well, but not that good, Lets see them after 3 shows.
If Affliction had as many fighters as the UFC, do you think they would all get paid that much, NO, Some of the affliction guys didnt earn that much, Only there big names did.
scoozna
7/31/08 8:40:04AM
Laughable, mostly because your dislike of the UFC's "eminent position" is so prominent.

It would be great if Affliction succeeded. But why does it have to be at the expense of the UFC? Why would you take pleasure in that? Why can't the both be popular?

pfft.
emfleek
7/31/08 9:39:11AM
If the UFC fails as a result of Afflictions success, I will personally fly to Saudi Arabia and scrub your nuts with a toothbrush.

You're crazy, man.

The UFC is the cream of the crop in regards to MMA. That's not going to change.
the_01
7/31/08 9:41:09AM
Im a big fan of the UFC, and I wish for it to be the best. It gave us many years of grat fighting entertainment. Its very popular here in Saudi Arabia. This is why I feel bad about it, I think they can do better, and other organizations are competing big time and begining were the UFC ended, and the UFC should do some changes inorder to stay on top, thats what I think. I dont mean to underestimate any organization in anyway, they all represent mma at the end, but its a matter of thought, maybe the UFC should consider.
scoozna
7/31/08 10:44:14AM
Ok I'll give this a second try to understand...

You want:
1. better pay for UFC fighters.
2. A less WWE-like entrance for the fighters
3. Dana to take a little less of the spotlight from the fighters.

With the exception of #2 - join the club - everybody wants that.
Dragonscale
7/31/08 11:46:44AM
wwe enterance? They havent had that in the UFC for a long time... do you even watch it dude?

And yea... Affliction was stacked... to the left.... there was not a single upset all night long.... so in my opinion it lacked a bit in competition.

Thats the beautiy of UFC, your always scratching your head about the amazing matchups that leave you wondering who exactly is going to pull it off.... Affliction's matchups so far have been quite lopsided.
MALICE
7/31/08 11:59:09AM
Did you not see the 1st CBS broadcast of EXC. Those were WWF style entrances. I like the UFC's entrances. Affliction entrances were the same. A warm-up walk to the ring with some pump you up music. Perfect. A little entertaining, but no too flashy. Perfect.

Speaking of over the top.

1. Megadeath - over the top
2. celebrity name dropping - over the top(UFC does it too but they dont make it a whole part of the show)
3. Bruce Buffer - Lets Get Ready to Rumble (I hate Bruce Buffer) Just MO

And no, I am not a UFC nuthugger. I watch every mma event on tv, and i love everyone of them. I just dont like shows that try to be too flashy. cough EXC cough. But only the CBS premiere event, otherwise I enjoy their shows. Affliction kind of got too flashy, but I do realise they were just tryin to start out with a bang. And it was a great event. I just hope they dont try to do too much too fast. I'm sure Megadeath and Bruce Buffer weren't cheap. I know Trump is backing it, but I dont think he'll stick around too long if they dont bring in a substantial profit in the 1st few events. Guess we will see.

All I know is the UFC is doing just fine right now, and most other orgs struggle. So good luck to Affliction.
cowcatcher
7/31/08 12:28:36PM
i was a huge pride fan, and dream is starting to fill that hole and they have ridiculous entrances and i love it. tell me mayhems entrances dont crack you up, or genki, or akiyama, the flashy entrance is a great bit of comic relief before a very serious and potentially brutal sporting event takes place. i can live without megadeth or any band playing during a show, in fact i think that took away from the whole night, but i want to see guys like aoki coming out and singing im a surbibor(not a typo read his lips, it hilarious) on their way to the ring in brightly colored stretchy pants, it lightens the everything up before the action. the ufc is in no danger of being replaced by any organization any time soon, and after one show to declare affliction as tops in the business doesnt say much for the TS.
mrsmiley
7/31/08 12:42:44PM
I think he ment the entrances "aren't flashy enough because he refers to them as prehistoric WWE entrances.

But no,UFC will be the dominant promotion,I would say for quiet a while.
GrizzlyChadams
7/31/08 7:52:08PM
It was afflictions FIRST card, how can you compare it to the UFC? They have even said the rest of the cards won't be the same, they have to tone it down or they'll go bankrupt. Although it was a great start, i don't think they'll last.
fonduktoe
8/4/08 5:11:15AM
affliction can put on 3 cards a year
ufc does 2 a month
weak talent pools make for a short run in the long scheme of things so lets not start getting too carried away with the ufc's new "competition."
Franklinfan47
8/4/08 5:23:06PM

Posted by the_01

For a long time, UFC dominated the mma arena, it is finally time for a competition. Pride provided compatiotion at one time, but they had bad management to go with that, and eventually fell. Now affliction is coming strong, they pay more to the fighters as I have been reading (Fedor=$1.6 million and Sylvia=$600 thousand), which means better preformance, the first Affliction fight card was stacked, which forces them to stay on the same track with the rest of their events. I think if the UFC stays as it is (Low pay, prehistoric WWF entrances for the fighters, Dana showing off more than the fighters, etc ....), eventually, we are living the last moments of this organization's eminent position in mma.

KillaCoupe
8/5/08 10:38:07PM
UFC is leader by example, it wont change...end of story
cmill21
8/5/08 11:40:28PM
The only time the UFC and Pride competed was for fighters, oh and the two shows that Pride did here. Other then that they operated in two different markets. How many people here who don't watch mma all the time even know what Pride is? Over there the UFC is just starting to get a ppv deal. Oh and back on topic the UFC isn't going anywhere, they have the majority of tv coverage(only highlights of affliction were pictures) and the only way they're going to be knocked off their perch is if all the fighters say they're going somewhere else. I like Affliction more then most guys, but the best they will be able to do is compete, they won't take it.
soundboy1
8/6/08 1:28:57AM
I don't agree that the UFC will lose its top spot for at least a few years. But they have to have more title defenses. 1 weight class every 14 months or so is not enough.
warglory
8/13/08 12:26:48PM

Posted by soundboy1

I don't agree that the UFC will lose its top spot for at least a few years. But they have to have more title defenses. 1 weight class every 14 months or so is not enough.

Well, they still manage to have a title match on most of the major events. Maybe 1 or 2 a year have non-title main events. I'd say that's pretty good.
mrkennedy
8/13/08 1:38:37PM
DISAGREE,The UFC is the best org ever and that will stay like that for years and years
KYGUY07
8/14/08 1:31:46AM
I really dont see any other mma organization becoming bigger than the UFC, whether people wanna admit it or not Dana knows what he is doing, every time it looks like another org is gonna become huge it always folds, the ufc will always be number 1 IMO.