Need help buying a rashguard

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Need help buying a rashguard
richieb19
8/30/07 5:44:39PM
I start with judo again in a few weeks and I want to start wearing a rashguard underneath my gi top, to avoid rashes, mat burns, etc. I'm looking for quality, acheap price and something that won't stretch out or be too big when I lose/gain weight. I usually see some decent ones for around $45 USD.

So any suggestions?
fedorwins1
8/30/07 6:14:39PM
I get mine from Ebay, you can find some of the brand name ones around $25-35 sometimes.
bayonetxwork
8/30/07 8:53:25PM

Posted by fedorwins1

I get mine from Ebay, you can find some of the brand name ones around $25-35 sometimes.

No wonder why you had ringworm! I'm guessing you bought your wrestling shoes off there too

haha, just kidding. but hey, I haven't really noticed a difference between rashguards so I'd just go for the cheapest one possible, IMO.
Rush
8/30/07 10:14:07PM
The only place where I really have problems with gi rubbing is my nipples. It's a big problem when I go running for longer than an hour.

A good non-cotton shirt does the trick for me.
richieb19
8/30/07 11:34:12PM

Posted by Rush

The only place where I really have problems with gi rubbing is my nipples. It's a big problem when I go running for longer than an hour.

A good non-cotton shirt does the trick for me.

WAY too hot!
fullerene
8/31/07 7:59:38AM
I'll give you the inexpensive answer--go to your local sports store and buy a tight, long-sleeve under-armour shirt. I don't know what the fabric is, but the type that has some compression. I've worn those for years, including doing no-gi and never had one rip. Some of the thin thermal type clothing for other sports works, too.

That type of thing is more common in my own experience for experienced grapplers to wear. Grappling-specific rash guards are fine, and they should be even more durable (but expensive), but when newcomers show up with fancy rash guards with a bunch of flags and MMA fight team logos on them....well, it's like a skinny guy coming to the gym with weight lifting gloves and a headband on. Not that there's anything wrong with that
Rush
8/31/07 8:47:24AM

Posted by richieb19

]WAY too hot!

I thought you'd like that big boy..... oh wait you're talking about temperature.

Yeah, I agree. My gi is hot enough as it is.
fedorwins1
8/31/07 11:18:15AM

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by fedorwins1

No wonder why you had ringworm! I'm guessing you bought your wrestling shoes off there too

haha, just kidding. but hey, I haven't really noticed a difference between rashguards so I'd just go for the cheapest one possible, IMO.

Lol well I make sure I get it off of an actual store instead of some random guy selling them.
Believe-in-judo81
9/8/07 12:41:38AM
I haven't checked prices on the recently but there is a Canadian Company Called Hayabusa Fightwear that makes very high quality and comfortable rashguards. It might run you a little more than you would like to pay but they are really great gear and if you take care of it it will last for quite a while.
jomatty
9/9/07 7:02:29AM
if you go to a store like tj max you can usually find under armour shirts or nike dry fit shirts at a very reasonable price. i have a nike shirt that i bought for $15 that i usually wear (i had it just for regular working out) and it works out great. nike, reebok, under armour, and a bunch of other companies make shirts that are made of almost identical fabrics tot he higher priced rashguards. i find any of the super wicking fabrics work well.
ghosted3
9/13/07 5:08:04PM
OTM has decent priced rash guards (short and long sleeved ones). They all have Ciba Tosan in them to fight off ringworm and staff infection. I have been rolling in mine for about a month both gi and no gi for BJJ and its been doing good without any signs of wear.
richieb19
9/13/07 9:10:53PM
I bought an underarmor red t-shirt style rashguard, moderately expensive but it works great.
Vendetta
9/14/07 4:24:02PM
I tend to find the best prices at the stands at grappling comps. I haven't used ebay yet, though.