How do you burn videos downloaded to blank disks?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » How do you burn videos downloaded to blank disks?
krthll1
12/24/07 7:22:46PM
I need to know because I want to free up space on my computer.
TNunley
12/26/07 9:40:18AM
Are you talking about legal, legitimate, paid for, downloaded videos? Or movies from your camcorder?

If so, then you can use any DVD/CD burning software... if you're talking about pirating copyrighted work... well I wouldn't give you advice for that one, but it can be done.

Which is it? If it's legal, I'll help ya out.
DCRage
12/26/07 10:13:30AM
If it's legal/paid for, you'll need a CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, or DVD-RW drive and appropriate burning software. If your PC came with such a drive you might have gotten the software with it pre-installed (such software came with my PC, which has a CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive). Can't (and won't) help you with the illegal/questionable stuff either.
Djbb
12/26/07 10:40:11AM
Well, if you paid for a movie and downloaded it, and now you have a 700ish megabyte .avi or .mpg movie file on your computer and now you want to make a copy of that legally obtained (see: paid for before downloading) movie onto a DVD, first you'll need to download a few other free programs that won't get you put into jail by the MPAA. right. saying that, lets continue

first you'll need a converter program, something that will turn those avi files into a dvd burnable format. you cant just burn the avi file to a dvd and expect it to play on your dvd player. it needs to be burned with the proper codecs and formatting. anyways yeah. get a program that will do that for you. but i warn you that converting an avi to DVD format takes like an hour.

oh and a dvd burner. get one of them too.

and dont forget to always pay for what you download. cept freeware. and linux.
TNunley
12/26/07 11:04:09AM
Very similar to what Djbb said, but if this is something you plan on doing for a while you may want to make an investment.

Nero is a great program... I've had it for quite a while now (so long that I have Nero 6, and they now have Nero 8).

It's been a while since I've used it to burn home movies and stuff like that, but I'm pretty certain it has a converter with it. Say you wanted to skip having to download freeware stuff, you can open nero and create a DVD. It allows you to place chapters, menus, etc. in your video, encodes, and burns the DVD for you. It will not allow you to encode and burn encrypted videos (major motion pictures). Now if you've downladed the motion picture legally, that may be a different story, but if you've rented a movie and decided you want a copy it will not do that for you. There are obviously ways of doing that, but I wouldn't do it myself and wouldn't encourage someone else to do it.

So you can download freeware, which may or may not be of good quality... then you may end up testing out several programs and end up with a registry packed with keys you have no use for... or you can download or buy a quality program. There are others that probably work, but I couldn't speak from experience. You can get Nero 8 today for $59.99.
krthll1
12/26/07 4:45:19PM
Thank you all very much all of you will get some props for the help.
Rush
12/26/07 7:25:38PM

Posted by Djbb

first you'll need a converter program, something that will turn those avi files into a dvd burnable format. you cant just burn the avi file to a dvd and expect it to play on your dvd player. it needs to be burned with the proper codecs and formatting. anyways yeah. get a program that will do that for you. but i warn you that converting an avi to DVD format takes like an hour.

Convertxtodvd is a good program. The version I have doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but it lets you do basic conversions, title screens, subtitles and chapters.
loller90278
12/26/07 7:29:58PM
try to download files under 700mg, so you can burn to regular CD and not DVD.. basically same quality for cheaper i use DiVX ripper to burn files, its easy to use and clean.