UFC Building New Stars In England

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Building New Stars In England
MMAcca
2/23/09 1:47:25PM
The Ultimate Fighting Championship's worldwide expansion will grow later this year as the promotion will travel to Germany, but this is only after spending the last couple of years building a brand name in both England and Ireland. That showed true once again with a successful show in London on Saturday night.

As announced at the post fight press conference, UFC 95 drew a crowd of 13,268 rabid MMA fans clamoring to see the show, with a live gate of just over $1 million U.S. dollars. The success of the UFC in the U.K. cannot be denied and UFC U.K. President Marshall Zelaznik agrees with the successful plan implemented so far.

"I still think we're a couple years behind where the U.S. is. I remember being there then," he commented after the show. "We're getting better and better media coverage, which I think is important, it helps spread the word. There's still a lot of misunderstanding about our sport."

The U.K. UFC president added how important it is for the sport to continue to grow in England and beyond.

LINK
urbman
2/23/09 2:49:21PM
Nothing wrong with expansion,I wonder what other nations could be under consideration for future shows?
evan9eleven
2/23/09 2:55:56PM
The British Invasion. After TUF, UFC is gonna explode over there. I think UK fans will really get behind guys like Hardy, Etim and Kelly, give Bisbing's nuts a rest. I hope the rest of Europe catches on, I'm pretty sure they will.
Wolfenstein
2/23/09 3:05:56PM

Posted by urbman

Nothing wrong with expansion,I wonder what other nations could be under consideration for future shows?

Probably the Philippines, if Munoz can beat Hammil, and if Brandon Vera can regain his previous form.
prozacnation1978
2/23/09 5:30:51PM
right now they only have bisping and hardy but with ultimate fighter they should add a few more
tomp6581
2/23/09 8:24:32PM
Im sorry but I hate the idea of "building new stars in England".

Im English and Ive been to 5 UFC's now, and I am fundamentally against the idea UFC holding eventS over here with lots of British fighters always fighting.

When it comes to the fight-game....I am not patriotic. I support individuals because of the style, ability NOT where they where born.

I want to see the best fighters in the world fighting in Britain....NOT the best British fighters fighting in Britain....(we have cage rage for that).....at the moment, the best figher from this part of the world is Bisping...who is just about top 10.

Thanks to UFC, so far I have seen Cro Cop, Arlovski, Shogun, Henderson, Franklin, Rampage, Hughes and Machida all fight live. I dont not want to see another UFC 95 that has absolutley NO top tier talent but rich with fighters from my country....if that continues, I (like many of my mates) will find it harder to part with a minimum of £50 for tickets excluding travel.

As far as im concerned, UFC owe Britain a TOP main event. To go from Anderson Silva main event rumour to Sanchez v Stevenson left a bitter taste in my mouth...especially since I treated my Dad to tickets too!! UFC 95 was a UFN.
CwB
2/23/09 8:59:18PM

Posted by tomp6581

Im English and Ive been to 5 UFC's now, and I am fundamentally against the idea UFC holding eventS over here with lots of British fighters always fighting.

When it comes to the fight-game....I am not patriotic. I support individuals because of the style, ability NOT where they where born.

I want to see the best fighters in the world fighting in Britain....NOT the best British fighters fighting in Britain....(we have cage rage for that).....at the moment, the best figher from this part of the world is Bisping...who is just about top 10.

Thanks to UFC, so far I have seen Cro Cop, Arlovski, Shogun, Henderson, Franklin, Rampage, Hughes and Machida all fight live. I dont not want to see another UFC 95 that has absolutley NO top tier talent but rich with fighters from my country....if that continues, I (like many of my mates) will find it harder to part with a minimum of £50 for tickets excluding travel.

As far as im concerned, UFC owe Britain a TOP main event. To go from Anderson Silva main event rumour to Sanchez v Stevenson left a bitter taste in my mouth...especially since I treated my Dad to tickets too!! UFC 95 was a UFN.

I agree that it sucks to have a card saturated with hometown hero's versus top tier talent but i believe that it is important to create fighters for casual fans to really get behind and support and to find those fighters they are throwing everyone from england on to these cards and weeding out the best of em
Red-Dragon
2/24/09 8:23:41AM

Posted by CwB

Posted by tomp6581

I agree that it sucks to have a card saturated with hometown hero's versus top tier talent but i believe that it is important to create fighters for casual fans to really get behind and support and to find those fighters they are throwing everyone from england on to these cards and weeding out the best of em

I went to UFC 95 and despite the lack of main event it was the best live event I have been to. The fights were great, bar Sanchez v Daddy.

I would rather go to another UFC 95 than a card stacked with top tier fighters but no finishes.
grimreaper
2/24/09 11:03:31AM
Yeah I think this is going to make Dan Hardy huge over there
tomp6581
2/24/09 11:10:48AM

Posted by Red-Dragon

Posted by CwB

Posted by tomp6581

I went to UFC 95 and despite the lack of main event it was the best live event I have been to. The fights were great, bar Sanchez v Daddy.

I would rather go to another UFC 95 than a card stacked with top tier fighters but no finishes.

Fair point. Its just personal preference. I was in no way implying the card was boring, I was just stating the fact that there was no Top tier tallent.

But top tier talent doesnt mean "no finishes" does it?

I would rather see title fights and top contender fights. The Henderson v Rampage unification title fight was a decison, but was also a good fight. I prefear these fights rather than see Dan Hardy KO another "up and comer".

Supersoph199
2/24/09 12:28:29PM
I agree with both Tomp6581and Red-Dragon

I agree with Tomp6581 with everything he has said: Britain defiantly deserves a great main event but I personally believe that one of the main reasons that we brits don’t get title fights or a stacked star studded fight card due to the numbers of buys on pay-per view across the pond.
Those watching it outside of Britain didn’t need to buy it on pay-per view did they? (Please prove me wrong if I am)

C'mon y'all know that they wont actually put a fight like GSP defending his belt over here where the UFC won’t make as much money off it as they would in let’s say either Las Vegas or Montreal. (get what I mean or am I just chatting bubbles)

Im rather patriotic and im all for having British fighters at a live event I can actually go and see but I would love to see others fighters over here at the live events. I defiantly would love to see British fighters fighting across the pond on major fight cards and not only in UFC events when in Britain.

Also I agree with Red-Dragon: I also went to UFC 95 and it was absolutely amazing the best live event I have ever been too. Even with the lack of event (not going to bitch and moan about the lack of event) because the fights were awesome and the fighters were pretty solid with great match ups.