This Bud's For You - Why 'Regular Joes' Should Be Doing MMA Workouts

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » This Bud's For You - Why 'Regular Joes' Should Be Doing MMA Workouts
postman
8/13/08 10:03:52AM
MMA is unlike any other sport. You need high levels of strength, speed, and power. You need high levels of work capacity. You need not only aerobic endurance, but also muscular-endurance, as well as strength and power-endurance. If ever there was a sport that required the complete realm of physicality from a S&C perspective, MMA is it.

MMATraining.com
Rush
8/13/08 10:43:17AM

Posted by postman

MMA is unlike any other sport. You need high levels of strength, speed, and power. You need high levels of work capacity. You need not only aerobic endurance, but also muscular-endurance, as well as strength and power-endurance. If ever there was a sport that required the complete realm of physicality from a S&C perspective, MMA is it.

MMATraining.com

Don't all high level sports require endurance, strength and power? I've always said it, MMA fighters do not train and are not at a higher level than many other high level athletes.
fullerene
8/13/08 11:21:47AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by postman

MMATraining.com

Don't all high level sports require endurance, strength and power? I've always said it, MMA fighters do not train and are not at a higher level than many other high level athletes.

I think many sports do not need strength and power in high degrees such as distance running or biking (which emphasize endurance) or tennis and basketball,(which emphasize skill and maybe a bit of endurance).

Likewise sports like powerlifting, sprinting and some positions in football emphasize strength and power but for such short duration that endurance is not an issue.

I think the list of sports that require participants with the type of musculatur that MMA fighters have to burn the amount of energy they do in a match is pretty short.
postman
8/13/08 11:48:21AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by postman

MMATraining.com

The second paragraph of the artical reads:

Virtually every other sport has a main focus, or maybe even a couple - but regardless, it's still evident what sort of "needs" that a participant of that sport has. For example, American football is a sport made up of short bursts. Now, it will vary some with which position you play, but ultimately, a player needs high levels of strength, speed, and the resulting power. Baseball is much the same way. Soccer, on the other hand, is mostly aerobic with brief stints of intense activity, and is primarily all lower body. Track and field events are pretty much all either speed/power-based, or endurance-based, depending on the event.
Rush
8/13/08 6:00:32PM
What the article doesn't mention is that the duration of many MMA fights can be and in many cases are very short, whereas a lot of other sports, despite the exertion times are long and players play more frequently. For example, a core hockey defense man will play 25-30 mins. a game. Now that might be spread over a 3 hour period with rests in between, but don't forget that many of them play 2-4 games a week for about 7 months+ of the year. MMA fighters might fight up to 1 hour for the whole year (depending on the fighter of course).

Another point is that many of the athletes mentioned that have strength and endurance limited to one part of their body are usually superior to MMA fighters as far as that part of their body goes. I can guarantee that many American Football players are stronger and faster than most MMA fighters in their lower body region. Why should they be considered lesser athletes?

Another point I want to make is that wrestlers have probably the same physical requirements as MMA fighters and are often credited with having a better "engine" than the average MMA fighter, yet, I always hear how MMA fighters are like athletic gods, but nothing about wrestlers (other than through MMA, which usually comes back to MMA fighters being credited).

My hunch is that their athletic abilities are being held on a pedestal more so than other athletes because people are trying to legitimize MMA as a sport rather than a spectacle.

All in all I don't buy into the fact that MMA fighters are any more accomplished athletes than triathletes, hockey players, swimmers, etc. and I will never give them any special credit for their abilities above other said athletes.
postman
8/14/08 12:42:38PM
You truly think an NHL defensmen could do a MMA circuit training program at the drop of a hat? I'm not asking to be confrentional I just would like to know if that is how you feel.
Rush
8/14/08 3:14:05PM

Posted by postman

You truly think an NHL defensmen could do a MMA circuit training program at the drop of a hat? I'm not asking to be confrentional I just would like to know if that is how you feel.

Just as easily as an MMA fighter could carry an NHL level work load or practice.
postman
8/14/08 5:18:23PM
Thats different your asking a guy to skate I will agree there is alot of demand on a nhl player. The argument is training for each sport whats more demanding. Well at least I think, its so foggy but I think that is whatg the author is trying to say is that in all these other sports you need each of these skills to some level but in MMA you need them all full tilt for 15 to 25 min, of course depending on the duration of the bout.

So all "sport" aspect of it aside no punches or slapshots involved just weights tredmills and all other fitness epuip. Who is more conditioned?
Rush
8/14/08 5:53:04PM

Posted by postman

Thats different your asking a guy to skate I will agree there is alot of demand on a nhl player. The argument is training for each sport whats more demanding. Well at least I think, its so foggy but I think that is whatg the author is trying to say is that in all these other sports you need each of these skills to some level but in MMA you need them all full tilt for 15 to 25 min, of course depending on the duration of the bout.

So all "sport" aspect of it aside no punches or slapshots involved just weights tredmills and all other fitness epuip. Who is more conditioned?

That's what I was talking about. Skills (skating, puching, kicking subs, etc)

I'm talking about strength, endurance, power, etc.

Basically, when I read articles like this, I feel they are insinuating that MMA fighters are superior athletes as a whole. Whereas my argument is that while they may be more rounded as far as athleticism goes, when compared to many other professional athletes, their overall athleticism is not superior.

i.e. the authors of such articles, I feel, insinuate that an MMA fighter could jump into any sport (learning the skills aside) an could excel because they are superior athletes, whereas other athletes would have more difficulty transitioning to MMA.

For example, take a Olympic level swimmer and an MMA fighter. Both have equal knowledge in swimming and MMA techniques. My argument is that both athletes will have equal, purely athletic/physical "learning" curves if they switched places.

I hope that makes sense.
postman
8/14/08 7:13:03PM
I get where you are coming from
The-Don
8/17/08 5:32:58PM
ok let me bring up someone.. and they are not technically pro athletes but technically entertainers... Profressional Wrestlers... Many of them hold matches that average 20 minutes and are physically demanding being asked to perferm skills that many MMA fighters would not even know how to do and are more akin to gymnastics they do it on an average of 3-4 nights a week about 11 months a year not counting training and traveling time inbetween. granted many use drugs steroids and other pain meds and such but many have to perform with injuries that an MMA fighter would step out of a fight if he had... As far as being an athlete I think those guys over all are some of the best with what they have to do...

Though I feel MMA training would be highly benificial as it is a great work out I think for over all athleticisim they are just as good with thier skills as a pro in any sport..
Rush
8/18/08 11:28:50AM

Posted by The-Don

ok let me bring up someone.. and they are not technically pro athletes but technically entertainers... Profressional Wrestlers... Many of them hold matches that average 20 minutes and are physically demanding being asked to perferm skills that many MMA fighters would not even know how to do and are more akin to gymnastics they do it on an average of 3-4 nights a week about 11 months a year not counting training and traveling time inbetween. granted many use drugs steroids and other pain meds and such but many have to perform with injuries that an MMA fighter would step out of a fight if he had... As far as being an athlete I think those guys over all are some of the best with what they have to do...

Though I feel MMA training would be highly benificial as it is a great work out I think for over all athleticisim they are just as good with thier skills as a pro in any sport..

I agree. They would be even better if they didn't do all the alcohol and drugs that I have heard of them doing.
The-Don
8/20/08 6:17:43PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by The-Don

I agree. They would be even better if they didn't do all the alcohol and drugs that I have heard of them doing.

I agree and shows like TUF who show these fighters competing for a 6 figure contract getting drunk nearly every episode is really a bad image for the sport... I usually turn it on only the last 20-25 minutes to see the match at the end, one of my rules for my fight team as I eventually get it together... will be moderation...
Tizzy
11/21/08 8:56:59PM
A top level athlete is as in shape as an MMA fighter. They may not be able to beat them up but they could keep up with most routines that are put together for an MMA fighter.

I have always gone by the rule that I should train like a top athlete. If you think about anything from runners to hockey to football to baseball. Every high end athlete trains for all the strength, endurance and explosive power. It is just used in a different way in the end.

All of the parts of my workouts have been taken from other sports. I just put them together with my fighting drills.