BTW if Chuck and Machida ever fought

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » BTW if Chuck and Machida ever fought
Next Page »
POLL: Chuck or Machida
Chuck 52% (25)
Machida 48% (23)
MoJoy
7/10/08 11:30:15PM
Im betting the house Machida not only wins but makes Chuck look like a complete amatuer. When was the last time Chuck has knocked anybody out? Babalu thats when. Compare Chuck's last fight aginst Tito to Machida's. First of all Chuck got a tko round 3, kudos to him. But he lost round 2. I have never seen Machida lose a round since he got in the octagon. That is beyond amazing. Machida dominated Ortiz a million miles more than Chuck could ever dream. Look back to round 1, after a humiliating round for Ortiz, where Machida imposed his will, Machida's lands a beautiful perfectly timed flying knee. I bet he got that from Anderson. Takes Tito down with a slam that not even Cotoure was able to do against Tito, and has him in the crucifix position, Oritz is badly hurt, if that round is seconds longer, its' over right there and Machida is the first man to take Tito out round 1. Do you realize the first two rounds, Tito landed 2 shots, total. And Machida landed over a 100. How do you land that many if your running. How many times did Machida feint with a kick, then punch Tito right in his face, then feint with a punch, and push kick him. Chuck Wandy to me is overated, great fight, but not with enough different things for me to think it was one of the best ever. More boxing fight, than pure MMA skill display. Chuck hit Wandy flush so many times, coudl not even knock him down, Take Chuck against Jardine, he had no ability to gameplan and change strategy and lost to a guy he is much much better too? That would never happen to Machida. People that hate him say he's boring, cause they cant see he dont win or is not good. Even that is on out and out lie. The Tito fight was one of the most exciting and intelligent fights I have ever seen in my life. What happened to Soko when Machida got a hold of him was more than telling. Look at Machida in fights against Rich Franklin and Stephen Bonner, where is the running? He stood right in there face and beat the shit out of them. I think Chuck who is a counter puncher would try to fight more aggresive and not be able to land too much on Machida. Chuck would keep trying to do the same thing, and Machida would be throwing different looks at him, and imposing his will. This is no hatred on Chuck, a legend and amazing fighter. Its just how strongly I feel about Machida.
joshryanshepherd
7/10/08 11:49:28PM

Posted by MoJoy

Im betting the house Machida not only wins but makes Chuck look like a complete amatuer. When was the last time Chuck has knocked anybody out? Babalu thats when. Compare Chuck's last fight aginst Tito to Machida's. First of all Chuck got a tko round 3, kudos to him. But he lost round 2. I have never seen Machida lose a round since he got in the octagon. That is beyond amazing. Machida dominated Ortiz a million miles more than Chuck could ever dream. Look back to round 1, after a humiliating round for Ortiz, where Machida imposed his will, Machida's lands a beautiful perfectly timed flying knee. I bet he got that from Anderson. Takes Tito down with a slam that not even Cotoure was able to do against Tito, and has him in the crucifix position, Oritz is badly hurt, if that round is seconds longer, its' over right there and Machida is the first man to take Tito out round 1. Do you realize the first two rounds, Tito landed 2 shots, total. And Machida landed over a 100. How do you land that many if your running. How many times did Machida feint with a kick, then punch Tito right in his face, then feint with a punch, and push kick him. Chuck Wandy to me is overated, great fight, but not with enough different things for me to think it was one of the best ever. More boxing fight, than pure MMA skill display. Chuck hit Wandy flush so many times, coudl not even knock him down, Take Chuck against Jardine, he had no ability to gameplan and change strategy and lost to a guy he is much much better too? That would never happen to Machida. People that hate him say he's boring, cause they cant see he dont win or is not good. Even that is on out and out lie. The Tito fight was one of the most exciting and intelligent fights I have ever seen in my life. What happened to Soko when Machida got a hold of him was more than telling. Look at Machida in fights against Rich Franklin and Stephen Bonner, where is the running? He stood right in there face and beat the shit out of them. I think Chuck who is a counter puncher would try to fight more aggresive and not be able to land too much on Machida. Chuck would keep trying to do the same thing, and Machida would be throwing different looks at him, and imposing his will. This is no hatred on Chuck, a legend and amazing fighter. Its just how strongly I feel about Machida.

so yeah im pretty sure his last KO (tko) was Tito at 66. just sayin. and i would hope that chuck could KO this "Elusive" bastard!!
ncordless
7/11/08 12:01:09AM

Posted by MoJoy

You should write to Machida and profess your love for him.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
EON
7/11/08 12:02:34AM
chuck is just one of the 5 that ducked him, his camp knows machida is a dangerous opponent and its a bad stylistic matchup for him, so there going up and beyond to avoid a fight with him, like him getting a title shot if he beats rashad and lyoto getting blackballed, the ufc is hoping lyoto gets beat but it probably wont happen anytime soon, i still think he or wand will be champ soon enough
RandyCouture
7/11/08 12:08:52AM
I have to say over 1/2 these people on here would love to see Machida and BJ Penn get it on and no im not talking about fighting im talking about some loving cause seems like everybody is a BJ penn or Machida nuthugger pisses me off. We can combined all the Machida and BJ penn posts and make a whole section devoted to those two fighters.
Pitbull09
7/11/08 12:11:36AM
I think Liddel would have trouble. People want to believe that an exciting and explosive fighter would beat a guy who wins like Machida but Chuck gets his KO's from wrestlers. If you ask me, he wouldn;t KO Machida but it would become a fight for points on the card.

The best thing I think about this matchup is that Machida is weak in the ground game and both have good takedown defense. I don;t think any of them would bother to go to the ground. So the fight would be exactly the way it should be to end this arguement, a stand up war.
EON
7/11/08 12:16:29AM

Posted by RandyCouture

I have to say over 1/2 these people on here would love to see Machida and BJ Penn get it on and no im not talking about fighting im talking about some loving cause seems like everybody is a BJ penn or Machida nuthugger pisses me off. We can combined all the Machida and BJ penn posts and make a whole section devoted to those two fighters.

says the wannabe randy couture
Twenty20Dollars
7/11/08 12:34:53AM
chucky wins, throws the over hand right and then gets a head kick for the win.
MoJoy
7/11/08 12:41:29AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by MoJoy

You should write to Machida and profess your love for him.

I got a sense of humor. Bro that is fu cking hilarious. Props.
EON
7/11/08 12:48:17AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

chucky wins, throws the over hand right and then gets a head kick for the win.

you forgot the part where lyoto moves out of the way
Korsakov
7/11/08 1:10:43AM
Hackleman flat-out admitted that Machida is a horrible matchup for Liddell. I’d be willing to bet that they’ve had turned down that fight, or they would if it were offered to them. Tito reportedly had a cow when forced to fight Machida on the last fight of his contract. Forrest admitted he wants nothing to do with Machida. Dave Meltzer has reported that numerous fighters have turned down fights with Machida because they didn’t want likely losses on their records.

RNC
7/11/08 1:47:19AM
Tito had ZERO chance against Machida.

He's not a striker, he's a ground and pound artist. Except he couldn't muscle Machida to get him down and didn't have the technique to do it either. That left him with chasing after him and getting hit.

Lyoto won't be able to take Liddell down like he did Tito. He also won't be able to hit Liddell as much, and will certainly not go two rounds with only getting hit twice. If Liddell comes into the fight with the right strategy, cutting Machida off, using angles, and being some what aggressive, he will win.

The only way Machida can win is by decision, where as Chuck can win by both decision or knockout.

I would say Chuck has the advantage.
jkdskinhead
7/11/08 1:51:33AM
Yeah Guy Mezger, Alistair Overeem, and Vernon White are some great wrestlers that know nothing of striking.
MoJoy
7/11/08 3:42:53AM
Machida is a lot tougher than people think. He can take a punch. Rarely gets hit but I have seen where he does, stays coherent and starts fighting even better. He also is a very hard puncher. Incredibly underated in that department. Heavy handed, like Fedor. They dont knock guys out, but hit them and keep hitting them hard even later in the fight. Watch the Tito fight, and the Franklin fight, he's really hurting people when he's hitting them. He's also a lot better on the ground than people think. That's why I like this guy. Hes a total fighter, best at the most important part of MMA, not getting hit, can strike much better than average, its just that people focus on the defense, hes becoming a genius like offensive fighter as well. As diverse as they come. Remember Forrest hit Bonner over and over, both where still slugging it out at the end of the fight. Bonner is a first rate fighter, top 20 LHW,and A level. Machida was pummeling him so bad on their feet, in a stand up war, either his corner threw in the towel or the ref stopped it. Unless you think Chuck is coming up with new wrinkles I see this Machida clearly. I think back to the Jardine fight, he had to have a different set of action, against Machida there will be many things that happen on the fly. If it happens then sweet.
Pookie
7/11/08 5:12:23AM

Posted by RandyCouture

I must be your least favorite poster on the site then lol.
Pookie
7/11/08 5:16:47AM
Chuck rarely throws punches in combinations from outside, and his one shot power punches wont work all that well on someone whos faster, has better striking defense, head movement, footwork, and reflexes. Now add into the mix that Liddell does not check leg kicks, liddell is going to be out of striking range the entire fight.

I see it as a somewhat boring match-up though, after the first round i see liddell not willing to engage as much... alot of time in between action.

Personally id like to see Machida fight someone who comes forward.
ncordless
7/11/08 7:02:57AM

Posted by Pookie

Chuck rarely throws punches in combinations from outside, and his one shot power punches wont work all that well on someone whos faster, has better striking defense, head movement, footwork, and reflexes. Now add into the mix that Liddell does not check leg kicks, liddell is going to be out of striking range the entire fight.

I see it as a somewhat boring match-up though, after the first round i see liddell not willing to engage as much... alot of time in between action.

I agree... the style match up of Chuck and Machida would be very boring. It could literally be minutes in between exchanges. Which one would move forward? I can invision a whole round where they both do nothing but feint and wait for the other to move forward.

This is a classic example of a fight that makes sense as far as title picture goes but makes no sense at all from a "good fight" perspective.

Oh, and Mojoy... good to see you got a sense of humor... and I am half serious about writing Machida. The sport is still young enough where fans can write their fav fighters (and Machida is obviously one of yours) and expect to get an answer.
Aaronno9
7/11/08 7:20:03AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Pookie

I agree... the style match up of Chuck and Machida would be very boring. It could literally be minutes in between exchanges. Which one would move forward? I can invision a whole round where they both do nothing but feint and wait for the other to move forward.

This is a classic example of a fight that makes sense as far as title picture goes but makes no sense at all from a "good fight" perspective.

I agree, i think it would be a really boring fight. If chuck knows Machidas a bad style match for him anyways, hes hardly going to adapt a new style going forward and attacking when he knows its what machida wants. I think machida would think that the judges are more likely to favour chuck in a decision, which would make up come forward more than he usually does to try and finish it. Which would eventually lead to him getting caught.

Also, id like to see some proof that all these fighters are ducking Machida, becouse i tend not to believe them.
MoJoy
7/11/08 10:09:39AM
Are you messing around? They have been quoted repeatedly, and their managers as well as saying they dont want anything to do with Machida. Its weak sauce, and its not cause he runs, I have never seen a fight where he runs, its cause he probably beats them.
jkdskinhead
7/11/08 2:24:05PM

Posted by MoJoy

Machida is a lot tougher than people think. He can take a punch. Rarely gets hit but I have seen where he does, stays coherent and starts fighting even better. He also is a very hard puncher. Incredibly underated in that department. Heavy handed, like Fedor. They dont knock guys out, but hit them and keep hitting them hard even later in the fight. Watch the Tito fight, and the Franklin fight, he's really hurting people when he's hitting them. He's also a lot better on the ground than people think. That's why I like this guy. Hes a total fighter, best at the most important part of MMA, not getting hit, can strike much better than average, its just that people focus on the defense, hes becoming a genius like offensive fighter as well. As diverse as they come. Remember Forrest hit Bonner over and over, both where still slugging it out at the end of the fight. Bonner is a first rate fighter, top 20 LHW,and A level. Machida was pummeling him so bad on their feet, in a stand up war, either his corner threw in the towel or the ref stopped it. Unless you think Chuck is coming up with new wrinkles I see this Machida clearly. I think back to the Jardine fight, he had to have a different set of action, against Machida there will be many things that happen on the fly. If it happens then sweet.

You cant compare Forrest now to Forrest in his last two Bonner fights.

Hes not a complete fighter if he doesnt have a knockout punch.. then hes lacking something.. that means imcomplete. The thing about not having a knockout put punch is this.. If the other guy has a knockout punch, he has two ways to win, whereas Mach only has one.. relying on the judges isnt a good idea, there are some crazy judges, so it would hard for him to dethrone a champion because the judges are already forced to pick the champion a winner if the match is close, and secondly its gonna be hard to stay the champ if your gonna be fighting top tear fighters all the time, theres always the chance of getting cought.. but people arent afraid of his power so they can get wild and throw some mean punches.. its just a matter of time before he gets sent packing to brazilapan.
Pookie
7/11/08 2:28:18PM

Posted by jkdskinhead

Posted by MoJoy

Hes not a complete fighter if he doesnt have a knockout punch.. then hes lacking something.. that means imcomplete. The thing about not having a knockout put punch is this.. If the other guy has a knockout punch, he has two ways to win, whereas Mach only has one.. relying on the judges isnt a good idea, there are some crazy judges, so it would hard for him to dethrone a champion because the judges are already forced to pick the champion a winner if the match is close, and secondly its gonna be hard to stay the champ if your gonna be fighting top tear fighters all the time, theres always the chance of getting cought.. but people arent afraid of his power so they can get wild and throw some mean punches.. its just a matter of time before he gets sent packing to brazilapan.

youre making an assumption that fighters dont respect his power. He beat the shit out of sokoudjou bad, he hurt Tito with one of the most painful shots hes ever taken, he knocked rich franklin out cold... whenever he fights a fighter who doesnt respect his game they get hurt.
Aaronno9
7/11/08 2:36:14PM

Posted by MoJoy

Are you messing around? They have been quoted repeatedly, and their managers as well as saying they dont want anything to do with Machida. Its weak sauce, and its not cause he runs, I have never seen a fight where he runs, its cause he probably beats them.

I dont class it as ducking unless the fight is offered to them and they turn it down. Fighters say they don't want to fight other fighters all the time, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't fight em if it came down to it.
jkdskinhead
7/11/08 4:08:17PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by jkdskinhead

Posted by MoJoy

youre making an assumption that fighters dont respect his power. He beat the shit out of sokoudjou bad, he hurt Tito with one of the most painful shots hes ever taken, he knocked rich franklin out cold... whenever he fights a fighter who doesnt respect his game they get hurt.

No, im making the assumtion that they dont respect his knockout punching power. Yeah they might get hurt, but they are not afraid if they make one mistake they could lose the fight. High level fighters arent afraid of getting hurt, they are afraid of losing.
Pookie
7/11/08 4:24:55PM

Posted by jkdskinhead

Posted by Pookie

Posted by jkdskinhead

Posted by MoJoy

No, im making the assumtion that they dont respect his knockout punching power. Yeah they might get hurt, but they are not afraid if they make one mistake they could lose the fight. High level fighters arent afraid of getting hurt, they are afraid of losing.

Hurt was being used as a synonym for beat, each of the examples he either ended the match, or was extremely close to ending the match(multiple times).
and Your "he doesnt have a knockout punch means hes an incomplete fighter" statement is somewhat asinine, every fighter has things they dont specialize in.
Bj penn doesnt have knockout kicks, so hes not a complete fighter, fedor doesnt have double leg takedowns so hes not a complete fighter... etc... its just a blanket statement that doesnt mean anything.
mkiv9secsupra
7/11/08 4:41:22PM
A form of MMA Math at its best

Chuck won 2 rounds against Tito
Machida won three rounds

So OBVIOUSLY THAT MEANS LYOTO IS BETTER THAN CHUCK

Lyoto could probly beat Semmy Schilt and Tim Syliva too....
EON
7/11/08 5:11:25PM
I cant believe the poll is that close, I hope they fight now, I dont care if it ends up being boring, Machida is a great fighter and you really need to be a fighting advocate to understand his style that he uses and translates it perfectly in MMA.
jkdskinhead
7/11/08 6:13:55PM

Posted by Pookie

Hurt was being used as a synonym for beat, each of the examples he either ended the match, or was extremely close to ending the match(multiple times).
and Your "he doesnt have a knockout punch means hes an incomplete fighter" statement is somewhat asinine, every fighter has things they dont specialize in.
Bj penn doesnt have knockout kicks, so hes not a complete fighter, fedor doesnt have double leg takedowns so hes not a complete fighter... etc... its just a blanket statement that doesnt mean anything.

Well its not just that he doesnt have a knockout "punch".. its that he doesnt have knockout strikes alltogether. Its lacking from his game.. hes almost there.. he can overwhelm people with strikes.. but he doesnt have that 1 hit KO in his game.. Fedor doesnt have great double leg take downs, but he does have world class sambo takedowns. Mirko may not have knockout punches but he has knockout head kicks.. wandi might not have head kicks but he has knockout punches and knees. The knock out is an art and style of its own, for some fighters its the only thing they have that will bring them the W.. to say its asinine its just silly. The knockout is one of the biggest dimensions in the game, and to discredit it is just silly.. having asesome knockout power can win you a fight in so many ways.. its the greatest psycological weapon in a fighters arsenal. To think if one punch slips through.. just one tiny mistake and you lose the entire fight.. everything is gone, people start to doubt you, you were winning every second of every round.. but in one second you know you can have it all taken away.. its not like a submission, where you can say o crap i messed up now i gotta try to work my way out or ill lose, or o crap im getting tagged alot in this round ill have to turn this around.. its huh.. what happened? I lost? how I was winning! I didnt lose... NO!!!!! its devistating to any fighter, and eventually it will happen to Machida.. and he'll realise at any time it could happen again.
rycanto
7/11/08 7:38:12PM
Aside from all the speculation, Machida did say this in an interview:

In your opinion, which light-heavyweight in the UFC would give you the most trouble? [. . .] I believe that Chuck Liddell would be the fighter that would give me the most trouble.

Full Interview on CagePotato
Scott_Revels
7/11/08 8:34:40PM
When Machida has beaten everyone in the UFC except for the guy who holds the title, they are going to have to give him a title shot. Even if he "can't speak english."
mkiv9secsupra
7/11/08 9:34:29PM

Posted by jkdskinhead

Well its not just that he doesnt have a knockout "punch".. its that he doesnt have knockout strikes alltogether. Its lacking from his game.. hes almost there.. he can overwhelm people with strikes.. but he doesnt have that 1 hit KO in his game.. Fedor doesnt have great double leg take downs, but he does have world class sambo takedowns. Mirko may not have knockout punches but he has knockout head kicks.. wandi might not have head kicks but he has knockout punches and knees. The knock out is an art and style of its own, for some fighters its the only thing they have that will bring them the W.. to say its asinine its just silly. The knockout is one of the biggest dimensions in the game, and to discredit it is just silly.. having asesome knockout power can win you a fight in so many ways.. its the greatest psycological weapon in a fighters arsenal. To think if one punch slips through.. just one tiny mistake and you lose the entire fight.. everything is gone, people start to doubt you, you were winning every second of every round.. but in one second you know you can have it all taken away.. its not like a submission, where you can say o crap i messed up now i gotta try to work my way out or ill lose, or o crap im getting tagged alot in this round ill have to turn this around.. its huh.. what happened? I lost? how I was winning! I didnt lose... NO!!!!! its devistating to any fighter, and eventually it will happen to Machida.. and he'll realise at any time it could happen again.

Everything you just said is trumped by Forrest Griffin. Hes not going to be knocking anyone out anytime soon and it sure isnt part of his gameplan, yet he is still winning
Pages: [1] 2