Bryant Won't Carry Pads But He Will Buy Shoes

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Bryant Won't Carry Pads But He Will Buy Shoes
BlueSkiesBurn
8/13/10 1:34:44PM
ARLINGTON, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys rookie Dez Bryant didn't want to carry shoulder pads, but he happily delivered shoes to his fellow wide receivers. Bryant bought the Cowboys' receiving corps pairs of Air Jordan Olympic 7s.

link

Can't this dude just get hazed like everyone else and take it like a man? I got hazed WAY worse than these NFL rookies when I joined my fraternity and I wasn't getting paid millions to join. I didn't complain.
postman
8/13/10 4:09:20PM
If I was making more money then williams and going to take his spot on the team I would tell him to F off too.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/13/10 5:01:18PM

Posted by postman

If I was making more money then williams and going to take his spot on the team I would tell him to F off too.

Williams, sure, but it's still something you do as a rookie.
postman
8/13/10 5:33:52PM
I guess. Personally I always felt like it was stupid at all levels from the Bloods to the NFL.
Jackelope
8/13/10 5:54:27PM
From what I understand the media took this whole story way out of context and made it seem like it wasn't what it really was. This isn't coming from Bryant, it's coming from the Cowboys coaching staff.

Either way the Cowboys need receivers in a bad way so for Cowboy's fans I doubt they give 2 shots
Wand_is_GOD
8/13/10 7:17:27PM
I think that hazing should be out of the NFL it shows no respect for the sport and you have 26 year old men acting like kids just play football
BlueSkiesBurn
8/13/10 7:25:47PM

Posted by Wand_is_GOD

I think that hazing should be out of the NFL it shows no respect for the sport and you have 26 year old men acting like kids just play football

I wouldn't expect many people to understand this, I know Jackelope does, but I am speculating that most of you have never been hazed in any sort of fashion. The Military does this in the form of boot camp and beyond. Depending on your regiment and what military goals you have, they have been known to haze.

Similarly, fraternities do the same thing. No, I am not advocating the homosexual acts that some fraternities make their pledges be a part of i.e. cookie or the elephant walk. Hazing can be as simple as being forced to go out to dinner with an active and pay for it. Run an errand for the active, get kidnapped by the active and forced to spend time with them as a pledge. It's an exercise in team building and forging bonds that last for a lifetime.

Any time I need someone I know I can call my fraternity brothers. Whether they got hazed with me as part of my pledge class, they did the hazing, or they got hazed by me. We have remarkable stories together because of those hazing rituals and, believe it or not, the veterans are also hooking up the rookies. They aren't just willy-nilly hazing the rookies to get themselves off.

Even when I did the hazing, I would also call up a pledge and take him out to lunch, or take him out on the town and pay for all his drinks. There's give and take with hazing. Again, though, it's not something I expect many of you to be familiar with.
cowcatcher
8/14/10 9:32:53AM
tim tebow took his friar tuck do like a man, and it earned his teammates respect and in some way im sure made them closer. hazing isnt always a bad thing if its done in fun and the guy on the receiving end of it doesnt have a gangster attitude or a napoleon complex or something along those lines. guys pick on each other by making gay jokes, giving each other nicknames, etc. its what we do, and its a form of hazing that in a weird way sparks comradery among dudes. i think bryant comes out of this looking like a prima donna. he could have just gone along with carrying pads, looked like a good teammate, and then gone out and taken roys spot without creating tension in the locker room.