Would Bruce even stand a chance?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Would Bruce even stand a chance?
« Previous Page | Next Page »
sakurabaforever
9/9/07 12:54:18AM
Okay, I don't know how many times I have to say this, but Lee is too fast for anyone. You are correct, he didn't compete against everyone that was good enough, but the fact that he schooled WORLD CHAMPIONS in mere seconds is practical testament enough to his skill.

Now lets examine simple laws of physics. Kid Yamamoto is an awesome fighter, but you can see his attacks. Bruce Lee is on a whole other level...his hitting power is unbelievable (watch his one-inch punch propel 200-pounders back a dozen feet - what the hell do you think would happen with a full swing!? And his kicks?). And you cannot see Lee's attacks...what was his punching speed recorded as, 1/500th of a second? Yamamoto is nowhere near that fast or powerful.

F=MA. Lee's mass may not have been that substantial, but his acceleration was light years ahead of any known martial artist.

A lot of people argue he would be taken down. But he would hit the grappler trying to take him down a few dozen times before they even touched him, rendering them unconscious. This is not a matter of a close fight....Bruce was too far ahead, and was constantly evolving, which is scary. Also his level of fitness was unmatched by far, which is another HUGE advantage.
nWo
9/20/07 7:12:55PM

Posted by sakurabaforever

Okay, I don't know how many times I have to say this, but Lee is too fast for anyone. You are correct, he didn't compete against everyone that was good enough, but the fact that he schooled WORLD CHAMPIONS in mere seconds is practical testament enough to his skill.

Now lets examine simple laws of physics. Kid Yamamoto is an awesome fighter, but you can see his attacks. Bruce Lee is on a whole other level...his hitting power is unbelievable (watch his one-inch punch propel 200-pounders back a dozen feet - what the hell do you think would happen with a full swing!? And his kicks?). And you cannot see Lee's attacks...what was his punching speed recorded as, 1/500th of a second? Yamamoto is nowhere near that fast or powerful.

F=MA. Lee's mass may not have been that substantial, but his acceleration was light years ahead of any known martial artist.

A lot of people argue he would be taken down. But he would hit the grappler trying to take him down a few dozen times before they even touched him, rendering them unconscious. This is not a matter of a close fight....Bruce was too far ahead, and was constantly evolving, which is scary. Also his level of fitness was unmatched by far, which is another HUGE advantage.

BRUCE LEE NEVER FOUGHT ANYONE!
that post makes me want to
cmill21
9/20/07 7:29:40PM
He fought chuck norris.
rcg916
9/20/07 7:34:54PM
I read "Bruce Lee" had no ground game, and seriously couldnt read any further...

First off... How do you know?

Second, Bruce was quoted as saying that someone with 10 years experience in any given martial art would lose a fight to someone with only one year of ground fighting experience... So, he clearly knew the importance of a ground game.

So, Mr. Thread-starter: Do your homework before you trash a legend.

Bruce Lee vs. Kendall Grove?
I wish you could physically kill a thread, because this one would be a bloody mess.
rcg916
9/20/07 7:38:31PM

Posted by nWo

i wish there were neg props because BRUCE LEE WAS JUST AN ACTOR BORN IN CA

Not one of those guys... Face it. He was a bad ass. 'Nuff said.
nWo
9/21/07 3:16:14AM

Posted by rcg916

Posted by nWo

i wish there were neg props because BRUCE LEE WAS JUST AN ACTOR BORN IN CA

Not one of those guys... Face it. He was a bad ass. 'Nuff said.

he never fought
sakurabaforever
9/21/07 2:20:15PM
If there were negative props you guys would be way deep There is no way around this, anyone who thinks Bruce never fought is a moron.

Winning the 1958 HK Boxing championship isn't fighting? Especially when you aren't even a boxer? He beat the reigning champ by KO in the 3rd when he was 18 years old. Did Ali or Tyson ever fight according to you?

Bruce fought COUNTLESS street fights (probably lost about half before starting to train with Yip Man). He fought some extra on the set of Enter the Dragon (a trained martial artist, who Bruce admitted was tough), some other challenger who jumped the fence into his yard, and many other challengers, who were all trained martial artists wanting to make a name for themselves. He also fought Wong Jack Man, in a controversial fight in his dojo, with many conflicting accounts. I choose to believe what seems to be the most probable, which was a draw, with neither man being able to beat or subdue the other. This was the hardest fight of Lee's life and led him to become a training machine and develop JKD, and become a much better fighter.

Why would Bruce bother fighting in the Karate circuit, when he literally wiped the floor with all the champions (such as Chuck Norris , 65-5, one of the greatest Karate fighters, or maybe your an idiot and think he never fought to?). Why do you think they all flocked to learn from him...they admit he took them easy in training, what more do you want? Watch his training and tournament exhibition footage to see how much faster and more powerful he was then any martial arts champion at the time.

Bruce is dead, he can't fight in the UFC right now just to appease some ignorant keyboard warrior. I'm probably just wasting my time with the ignorant trolls on this thread, I'm just stating the FACTS. Something anyone who thinks Bruce never fought is obviously not familiar with.

Fedor never fought! GTFO.
Ogre365
9/21/07 6:37:41PM
Everyone says oh he was a movie star not a fighter. There was nothing back then that was even close to modern MMA, so even if he didn't compete on a regular basis there is a logical reason. So here you have this skill set that has taken you years of real hard work and no big pro fighting organizations. He could have just had himself a little school or two and been a nobody or he could use an outlet like movies to promote himself. What would you do?

Anyone who says they wouldn't do the whole movie thing should turn off their computer, go over to their mother's house and have her slap you.
nWo
9/21/07 8:02:45PM

If there were negative props you guys would be way deep There is no way around this, anyone who thinks Bruce never fought is a moron.

Winning the 1958 HK Boxing championship isn't fighting? Especially when you aren't even a boxer? He beat the reigning champ by KO in the 3rd when he was 18 years old. Did Ali or Tyson ever fight according to you?

Bruce fought COUNTLESS street fights (probably lost about half before starting to train with Yip Man). He fought some extra on the set of Enter the Dragon (a trained martial artist, who Bruce admitted was tough), some other challenger who jumped the fence into his yard, and many other challengers, who were all trained martial artists wanting to make a name for themselves. He also fought Wong Jack Man, in a controversial fight in his dojo, with many conflicting accounts. I choose to believe what seems to be the most probable, which was a draw, with neither man being able to beat or subdue the other. This was the hardest fight of Lee's life and led him to become a training machine and develop JKD, and become a much better fighter.

Why would Bruce bother fighting in the Karate circuit, when he literally wiped the floor with all the champions (such as Chuck Norris , 65-5, one of the greatest Karate fighters, or maybe your an idiot and think he never fought to?). Why do you think they all flocked to learn from him...they admit he took them easy in training, what more do you want? Watch his training and tournament exhibition footage to see how much faster and more powerful he was then any martial arts champion at the time.

Bruce is dead, he can't fight in the UFC right now just to appease some ignorant keyboard warrior. I'm probably just wasting my time with the ignorant trolls on this thread, I'm just stating the FACTS. Something anyone who thinks Bruce never fought is obviously not familiar with.

Winning the 1958 HK Boxing championship isn't fighting? Especially when you aren't even a boxer? He beat the reigning champ by KO in the 3rd when he was 18 years old. Did Ali or Tyson ever fight according to you
the champ was 18 or 19
so how long was he REIGNING? since he was 12?????????
a juniour college boxing match is the only fight you can find eveidence of bruce ever being in
nuff siad
mrsmiley
9/21/07 8:59:19PM

Posted by nWo

Posted by mrsmiley

I think Lee was a revolutionary in the martial arts.He made it main stream in america through the power of cinema,and got a lot of people kicking their feet in the air.Including MMA legends such as Bas Rutten.

NICE SPIN
Bas isnt from America

Yes I know that.Bas is from Holland.

I was simply stating he made it big state side.everything else followed.
rcg916
9/21/07 9:12:22PM

Posted by nWo

Winning the 1958 HK Boxing championship isn't fighting? Especially when you aren't even a boxer? He beat the reigning champ by KO in the 3rd when he was 18 years old. Did Ali or Tyson ever fight according to you
the champ was 18 or 19
a juniour college boxing match is the only fight you can find eveidence of bruce ever being in
nuff siad

Okay. Youre right. I refuse to argue with someone over this type of stuff.

These guys are always right. Just ask their Moms, since they usually live in the same house as the prospective arguee.
Rush
9/21/07 9:38:32PM
I can't believe that this thread is still going on.
enemyofmany
9/21/07 10:24:30PM
we are talking about apples and oranges.stupid.while we're on the topic,how do you think andre the giant would do against randy cotoure?bruce lee was not just an actor,and would have grown and evolved along with martial arts into what we call mma today.ENTER THE DRAGON.THIS THREAD IS DISRESPECTFULL AND RETARDED.
nWo
9/21/07 10:41:56PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by nWo

Posted by mrsmiley

I think Lee was a revolutionary in the martial arts.He made it main stream in america through the power of cinema,and got a lot of people kicking their feet in the air.Including MMA legends such as Bas Rutten.

NICE SPIN
Bas isnt from America

Win Ruben Villareal KO (Leg Kicks) WFA - King of the Streets 7/22/2006 1 3:24
Win Kevin Randleman Decision UFC 20 - Battle for the Gold 5/7/1999 1 21:00
Win Tsuyoshi Kohsaka KO UFC 18 - Road to the Heavyweight Title 1/8/1999 1 14:15
Win Kengo Watanabe TKO (Lost Points) Pancrase - 1998 Anniversary Show 9/14/1998 1 2:58
Win Keiichiro Yamamiya Submission (Rear Naked Choke) Pancrase - Alive 11 12/20/1997 1 4:58
Win Osami Shibuya Submission (Body Crunch) Pancrase - 1997 Anniversary Show 9/6/1997 1 3:15
Win Takaku Fuke Submission Pancrase - Alive 7 6/30/1997 1 4:28
Win Kiuma Kunioku Decision (Lost Points) Pancrase - Alive 4 4/27/1997 1 15:00
Draw Osami Shibuya Draw Pancrase - Alive 3 3/22/1997 1 15:00
Win Manabu Yamada Submission Pancrase - Truth 7 10/8/1996 1 0:54
Win Masakatsu Funaki TKO (Lost Points) Pancrase - 1996 Anniversary Show 9/7/1996 1 17:05
Win Jason Delucia TKO Pancrase - Truth 6 6/25/1996 1 8:48
Win Frank Shamrock TKO (Cut) Pancrase - Truth 5 5/16/1996 1 11:11
Win Katsuomi Inagaki TKO (Lost Points) Pancrase - Truth 4 4/8/1996 1 14:07
Win Guy Mezger Submission Pancrase - Truth 2 3/2/1996 1 19:36
Win Ryushi Yanagisawa Submission (Choke) Pancrase - Eyes Of Beast 7 12/14/1995 1 27:35
Win Maurice Smith Submission (Choke) Pancrase - Eyes Of Beast 6 11/4/1995 1 4:34
Win Minoru Suzuki Submission (Guillotine Choke) Pancrase - 1995 Anniversary Show 9/1/1995 1 15:35
Win Frank Shamrock Decision (Split) Pancrase - 1995 Neo-Blood Tournament, Round 2 7/23/1995 1 15:00
Win Jason Delucia Submission Pancrase - Eyes Of Beast 5 6/13/1995 1 1:32
Win Maurice Smith Submission (Kneebar) Pancrase - Eyes Of Beast 4 5/13/1995 1 2:10
Win Takaku Fuke Submission Pancrase - Eyes Of Beast 3 4/8/1995 1 1:52
Loss Ken Shamrock Submission (Kneebar) Pancrase - Eyes Of Beast 2 3/10/1995 1 1:01
Win Manabu Yamada TKO (Strikes) Pancrase - Eyes Of Beast 1 1/26/1995 1 1:05
Loss Frank Shamrock Decision (Majority) Pancrase - King of Pancrase Tournament, Round 1 12/16/1994 1 10:00
Win Jason Delucia Submission (Guillotine Choke) Pancrase - Road To The Championship 5 10/15/1994 1 1:43
Loss Ken Shamrock Submission Pancrase - Road To The Championship 3 7/26/1994 1 16:42
Win Minoru Suzuki KO Pancrase - Road To The Championship 2 7/6/1994 1 3:43
Win Yoshiki Takahashi TKO Pancrase - Road To The Championship 1 5/31/1994 1 1:37
Win Vernon White Submission Pancrase - Pancrash! 3 4/21/1994 1 1:16
Loss Masakatsu Funaki Submission (Toehold) Pancrase - Pancrash! 1 1/19/1994 1 2:58
Win Takaku Fuke KO Pancrase - Yes, We are Hybrid Wrestlers 2 10/14/1993 1 2:03
Win Ryushi Yanagisawa KO Pancrase - Yes, We are Hybrid Wrestlers 1 9/21/1993 1 0:43

His last 3 fights were stateside fights?
sakurabaforever
9/22/07 2:44:42AM

Posted by nWo

the champ was 18 or 19
nuff siad

I hope your 10, otherwise....

When Bruce was 18 genius, not the champ . Who said anything about junior college (although you should be thinking about it if you're really not 10, judging by your spelling. Or did I jump the gun on you graduating from HS?) Learn to read, HK championship...not junior championship.

Nuff said? Read the rest of my post. There is plenty of evidence of the many fights I mentioned, and no intelligent person disputes them (besides the Wong Jack Man fight, which as I said was shrouded in controversy, but once again proves you DEAD WRONG about Bruce not fighting).

But seriously, get a life (I would suggest education as well), and find something better to do then trying to (and very poorly I might add) discredit a legend who accomplished more in his life then you could ever dream of.
ColdCutCombo
9/22/07 1:25:15PM
yeah right... bruce lee not stand a chance, first of all he could kill you with one blow if he wanted i think that stands alone right there, and how can liddell hit him if hes not quick enough, bruce lee would train like cung le does and would dominate...maybe not the ground game, unless he got a black belt in JJ, dont dis the legends, hes not around to see MMA so its impossible to know how he would do really..
ColdCutCombo
9/22/07 1:28:14PM

Posted by cmill21

He fought chuck norris.

hes trained chuck norris, and all you people think hes god or something, bruce would dominate anyone and thered be a small chance hes ever be beaten or ever woulda been beaten, like if he was sick or outnumbered or a stroke of bad luck like his death was
nWo
9/22/07 1:50:50PM

Posted by nWo

the champ was 18 or 19
nuff siad

I hope your 10, otherwise....

When Bruce was 18 genius, not the champ . Who said anything about junior college (although you should be thinking about it if you're really not 10, judging by your spelling. Or did I jump the gun on you graduating from HS?) Learn to read, HK championship...not junior championship.

Nuff said? Read the rest of my post. There is plenty of evidence of the many fights I mentioned, and no intelligent person disputes them (besides the Wong Jack Man fight, which as I said was shrouded in controversy, but once again proves you DEAD WRONG about Bruce not fighting).

But seriously, get a life (I would suggest education as well), and find something better to do then trying to (and very poorly I might add) discredit a legend who accomplished more in his life then you could ever dream of.

The fight was against another guy who was also in junior college, you need to learn how to use google. As for my spelling, its called typos, and they happen @ 140 wpm.
nWo
9/22/07 1:53:12PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by nWo

Posted by mrsmiley

NICE SPIN
Bas isnt from America

2 fights in US in 99 and one in 06
seems like those stateside fights followed how big he got overseas?do you just type anything. and think youre right?
fullerene
9/22/07 2:15:00PM
So what was Bruce Lee's boxing record (amateur or pro)? How far did he go in amateur wrestling?

Oh, that's right those sports weren't around back then. Instead he had hundreds of undocumented street fights against untrained fighters who he never maimed or killed (no prison time) or who did the same to him.

Hate to break it to you guys, but:

MMA fighting > competitive boxing and wrestling > streetfighting > acting and talking about streetfighting

Not only does Kid Yamamoto crush him in < 30 seconds, but Manny Pacquiao and Zeke Jones would only take about 30 seconds longer.
nWo
9/22/07 2:19:59PM

Posted by ColdCutCombo

yeah right... bruce lee not stand a chance, first of all he could kill you with one blow if he wanted i think that stands alone right there, and how can liddell hit him if hes not quick enough, bruce lee would train like cung le does and would dominate...maybe not the ground game, unless he got a black belt in JJ, dont dis the legends, hes not around to see MMA so its impossible to know how he would do really..

<object width="425" height="353"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tbxsg04htf4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tbxsg04htf4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="353"></embed></object>
rcg916
9/22/07 3:13:00PM

Posted by fullerene

So what was Bruce Lee's boxing record (amateur or pro)? How far did he go in amateur wrestling?

Oh, that's right those sports weren't around back then. Instead he had hundreds of undocumented street fights against untrained fighters who he never maimed or killed (no prison time) or who did the same to him.

MMA fighting > competitive boxing and wrestling > streetfighting > acting and talking about streetfighting

Not only does Kid Yamamoto crush him in < 30 seconds, but Manny Pacquiao and Zeke Jones would only take about 30 seconds longer.

Hate to break it to you, but you have no idea what you are talking about, Mr. Keyboard Warrior.

Now go watch your UFC dvds and save the stupid Sherbitch "less than, greater than" shit for the little kids over there. It makes you look like the mark that you are.

Maybe you will understand this:

Bruce>all, FTW +1 QFT, and the rest of the ridiculous shit that makes that site so worthless.
mrsmiley
9/22/07 4:49:35PM

Posted by nWo

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by nWo

Posted by mrsmiley

NICE SPIN
Bas isnt from America

2 fights in US in 99 and one in 06
seems like those stateside fights followed how big he got overseas?do you just type anything. and think youre right?

I'm talking about Bruce Lee not Bas Rutten.I was mentioning how Lee's movies made it big state side.I then talked about how he inspired MMA fighters.I then mentioned Bas Rutten.
fullerene
9/22/07 9:54:29PM

Posted by rcg916

Posted by fullerene

Hate to break it to you, but you have no idea what you are talking about, Mr. Keyboard Warrior.

Now go watch your UFC dvds and save the stupid Sherbitch "less than, greater than" shit for the little kids over there. It makes you look like the mark that you are.

Maybe you will understand this:
impr
Bruce>all, FTW +1 QFT, and the rest of the ridiculous shit that makes that site so worthless.

impressive. It sounds like you've had a lot of competitive experience...either that or you've watched a lot of movies.

But I can guess that can be said about anyone on the interweb, rightr? I'll leave it to everyone else to figure out who's a fighter and who's a movie fan
Natedogg42
9/30/07 1:12:20AM

Posted by nubby

Mainly due to his lack of ground game. Let's say he was in light weight, do you really think he would be able to take a BJ Penn or a Sean Sherk? There just is no way he would be able to deal with the submission game or the wrestling skills. I think his best chance would be against somone with no ground game. But that's pretty rare because even somone with some what decent BJJ skills would still be able to submit him, don't you think?

Who says he has no ground game? I'm not sure if he did or not but I know there are several pages of BJJ/Judo diagrams in the Tao of Jeet Kune Do. He was a martial arts genius and I'd be willing to bet he didn't ignore the ground game. Grappling is not considered as cinematic so we never see his ground skills in movies.
mrsmiley
9/30/07 1:02:46PM
I know Gene Lebell was doing some ground work with Lee before his death.Look up some interviews with Lebell about Lee.You might be suprised.
HulkRage
9/30/07 1:11:09PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I guess Bruce Lee as he was, wouldn't stand a chance agaisnt most MMA fighters... But I'd think that if Lee was to compete in MMA, then he would've developed a more well rounded game... I imagine him kinda like a smaller version of Cung Le, if that's a fair comparison

He was the first ( that I know of that was open about MIXING Martial Arts), so I think he would be well rounded by now. ( and well into his 60's, so that may play a part in his fight game if he were still with us)
RIP Bruce
nubby
9/30/07 7:09:14PM

Posted by Natedogg42

Posted by nubby

Mainly due to his lack of ground game. Let's say he was in light weight, do you really think he would be able to take a BJ Penn or a Sean Sherk? There just is no way he would be able to deal with the submission game or the wrestling skills. I think his best chance would be against somone with no ground game. But that's pretty rare because even somone with some what decent BJJ skills would still be able to submit him, don't you think?

Who says he has no ground game? I'm not sure if he did or not but I know there are several pages of BJJ/Judo diagrams in the Tao of Jeet Kune Do. He was a martial arts genius and I'd be willing to bet he didn't ignore the ground game. Grappling is not considered as cinematic so we never see his ground skills in movies.

I just never knew that he did have ground game. He may have amateur wrestling skills but hewasn't versed on JJ right? So even if he had wrestling, he wouldn't know how to defend against JJ.
loller90278
9/30/07 7:20:34PM
to clear things up:

bruce lee did have a ground game, in the book of JKD there are several mentions towards judo. in one of his movies (i believe return of dragon) he actually pulls off an armbar.

me, personally, i think he would stand a chance, if living in our era right now.
who
2/17/09 12:25:00AM
to end all this discussion on Bruce Lee
take a look at Cung Le 46-0 record stand up fighter in the MMA
undefeated in k-1, san shou, pride fighting, elite Xc
and gettting ready to fight Anderson silvia, silvia the spyder
that no USA fighter has beaten, but each time he steps out to fight an eastern
fighter he loose. silvia lost 4 times and all 4 are eastern fighters.
Cung le is not fast as bruce lee, doesnt has the muscle and strength like
bruce, but he has timing , position and stance. no ground game but holds a record of 46-0. a record like that tells you that all the MMA fighters can't fight a stand up fight with a true martial artist. cung le fought against fighter who are taller, stronger and pros at grapping and jiu jitsu such as shamrock, and end up loosing to him. mma modern training ? so what ! if you can't apply it in the cage what use is it, when your opponent has stance, timing, opening , movement, position. STOMP. so what if you know jiu jitsu , if you can't get in range to grapple your opponent its useless, especially if your opponent has accurate
striking, and timing you'll drop before you grab an opponent. so what if your big and masculine, if your slow your opponent already strike you 3 times before your fist even approach you. i've watch many fights of brock lesner he's slow and gets you to the ground and pound. his punch is sloppy, easily evaded and countered by any good MA fighter. bruce has all feats of cung le but more powerful, more accurate, and more speed. no need to speak anymore.
and if cung le was easily beaten like some of you will respond, then my answer is why hasn't any of the 46 fighter he fought has. you can watch all of them on you tube. yes his hand strike are slow, his kick are not the fastest but timing kills all his opponents and that is what alot of MMA fighters lack.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6