Would Bruce even stand a chance?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Would Bruce even stand a chance?
« Previous Page | Next Page »
richieb19
7/9/07 9:25:23PM

Posted by nWo

WRESTLING, BOXING, JIU JITSU, KICKBOXING are the ways
without those four ways no one will make it.
THOSE ARE THE WAY
war mmapower.com

Thats just ignorant on your part, and it shows just how little you know.
akhillez
7/10/07 12:27:56AM
I have nothing but respect for Bruce, but Jet Li would tool him in a real fight, let alone an MMA fighter. Hell, even Jackie Chan would give Bruce a run for his money
nWo
7/10/07 12:30:07AM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by nWo

THOSE ARE THE WAY
war mmapower.com

i can say the same in regards to your way of thinking.
cmill21
7/10/07 12:41:44AM
Do either of you know who Bruce lee is? Watch some of his demonstrations. Seriously.
Jujiden
7/10/07 2:13:25AM
richieb19
7/10/07 2:58:19AM

Posted by nWo

Posted by richieb19

Posted by nWo

THOSE ARE THE WAY
war mmapower.com

I meant in regards to you saying that only wrestling, boxing, jiu jitsu and kickboxing where effective in MMA... if you've been watching since UFC 1 (and Colosseum somehow?) you would know that not to be the truth, but more a stereotype.
grappler0000
7/10/07 12:39:04PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by nWo

Posted by richieb19

Posted by nWo

THOSE ARE THE WAY
war mmapower.com

I meant in regards to you saying that only wrestling, boxing, jiu jitsu and kickboxing where effective in MMA... if you've been watching since UFC 1 (and Colosseum somehow?) you would know that not to be the truth, but more a stereotype.

I would have to disagree, as the disciplines listed above make up the vast majority of MMA. There are very few techniques that are effective in MMA that come from other disciplines. Judo comes to mind; TKD lends maybe a move or two, but there is not much else. I can't think of any others that have made any impact on MMA other than some hybrid styles.

Out of curiosity, what other disciplines do you see as being effective?
richieb19
7/10/07 12:55:40PM

Posted by grappler0000

I'm not going to start rattling of different styles of martial arts that I've seen used effectively or that have blended well. However I will say that needing BJJ, wrestling, muay thai, etc. is nothing more than a stereotype. Albeit it's true that you see many fighters come from such disciplines, throughout the years of commentators saying that any takedown is from wrestling, or that and submission is from BJJ, or that and knee or punch combo is from Muay Thai, etc. has forced an unjust stereotype that leads people to believe such.

Also in many cases I often see holes in people repeating this stereotype, just as in this case. Wrestling is a vague term, it could mean Freestyle, Folkstyle, Greco Roman, Judo, Sambo, Catch, etc... These are all different styles of wrestling, so what wrestling, and the same goes for Kickboxing (and even Jiu Jitsu, as there is a Japanese style still used today that predates the Brazilian style). Many times when there is a fighter with a strong Greco background, people will just say his wrestling is better than say someone with a freestyle/folkstyle background (Randy / Tito), when that is just like saying that someones Karate is better than someone else's Kung Fu.
nWo
7/10/07 3:24:26PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by grappler0000

I'm not going to start rattling of different styles of martial arts that I've seen used effectively or that have blended well. However I will say that needing BJJ, wrestling, muay thai, etc. is nothing more than a stereotype. Albeit it's true that you see many fighters come from such disciplines, throughout the years of commentators saying that any takedown is from wrestling, or that and submission is from BJJ, or that and knee or punch combo is from Muay Thai, etc. has forced an unjust stereotype that leads people to believe such.

Also in many cases I often see holes in people repeating this stereotype, just as in this case. Wrestling is a vague term, it could mean Freestyle, Folkstyle, Greco Roman, Judo, Sambo, Catch, etc... These are all different styles of wrestling, so what wrestling, and the same goes for Kickboxing (and even Jiu Jitsu, as there is a Japanese style still used today that predates the Brazilian style). Many times when there is a fighter with a strong Greco background, people will just say his wrestling is better than say someone with a freestyle/folkstyle background (Randy / Tito), when that is just like saying that someones Karate is better than someone else's Kung Fu.

wrestling/bjj for takedowns/defense and subs/defense
boxing/kickboxing(various froms) for striking and striking defense
you wont list any others because there are no others that work
they are not the way so they are jeet kune do
richieb19
7/10/07 4:19:48PM

Posted by nWo

Posted by richieb19

Posted by grappler0000

Well I guess Fedor Emelianenko better get his shit together soon, cause nWo says that Judo and Sambo just aren't working...
casey64
7/10/07 4:29:30PM
No Bruce Lee would not stand a chance!!!!!!
nWo
7/10/07 4:57:46PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by nWo

Posted by richieb19

Posted by grappler0000

Well I guess Fedor Emelianenko better get his shit together soon, cause nWo says that Judo and Sambo just aren't working...

judo is almost the same as jj and sambo is lancashire subwrestling
ko-kbo130
7/10/07 5:39:04PM

Posted by nWo

Posted by richieb19

Posted by nWo

Posted by richieb19

Posted by grappler0000

ur an idiot if thats the case than there would only be those 4 MAs tought. each type of MA has diffrent overall techniques but most have similar principles. i.e sambo/subwrestling, muay thai/kickboxing. every MA has stemed or eveolved from another. JKD combines the best and most practicle techniques from various MA to create the best possible techniques at the time.
grappler0000
7/10/07 5:56:33PM

Posted by richieb19

Judo is definitely worth mentioning, although some people would not seperate it from wrestling. Also, many people leave out Judo, because until recently not many people were able to transition to MMA successfully. You can probably attribute Abu Dhabi as one of the factors for Judokas getting some of their much needed experience without the gi. I personally left Sambo out, since it is a hybrid style...but some people would consider it wrestling, depending on which form you were referring to.

And I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but Sambo was around before Lee was even alive...which makes Bruce Lee a pioneer of MMA, but not the father. I don't mind giving Lee credit where credit is due, but many people seem to find ways to give him credit for anything and everything in MA. I don't think Bruce Lee (having the skills as he did when he died) would do well in current MMA; at least not in the 2 largest orgs...and this was actually the original thread starter. I imagine he could well if he were to train for it...but that wasn't the question. He is definitely the best known Martial Artist of all time, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that he's the best fighter of all time. I do however think that he was a pioneer...or visionary if you will. I also think that he has had more influence on Martial Arts than most others before and after him.
nWo
7/10/07 9:18:33PM

Posted by ko-kbo130

Posted by nWo

Posted by richieb19

Posted by nWo

Posted by richieb19

Posted by grappler0000

ur an idiot if thats the case than there would only be those 4 MAs tought. each type of MA has diffrent overall techniques but most have similar principles. i.e sambo/subwrestling, muay thai/kickboxing. every MA has stemed or eveolved from another. JKD combines the best and most practicle techniques from various MA to create the best possible techniques at the time.

subwrestling=jj, judo, lancashire, sambo
kickboxing=tkd kenpo muay thai etc

basically only 2
and Pancrase was in the first olympics which was FULL CONTACT (2000 yrs ago) WRESTLING {NUDE}, so i think the greeks were the pioneers, good thing the naked part didnt make it to the anyfc, i would be no fan at all forsuredly.
richieb19
7/10/07 10:17:02PM

Posted by nWo

basically only 2
and Pancrase was in the first olympics which was FULL CONTACT (2000 yrs ago) WRESTLING {NUDE}, so i think the greeks were the pioneers, good thing the naked part didnt make it to the anyfc, i would be no fan at all forsuredly.

Well thats what I've been trying to say all along... there is only grappling and striking... however the way you worded it seemed as though you where neglecting everything but 4 MA's...

...and no, Pankration was in the first olympics, Pancrase was started in '93 by Funaki & friends...

...and as far as the Lee argument goes, can we at least agree that whether he would have done well or not is, and will remain unknown, as he didn't actually compete... However his philosophy of Jeet Kune Do is a major factor in the development of the sport?
nWo
7/11/07 12:39:41AM
punch/kick grab is the way
it is agreed
grappler0000
7/11/07 11:46:14AM

I will agree with that as well.
nWo
7/22/07 7:57:15PM

Posted by grappler0000

I will agree with that as well.

so strike & grab is the way
and Bruce was wrong.
TOMMYAYO05
7/23/07 1:34:38AM
Bruce would be breaking peoples legs and sh*t he would kill these guys.
LHK
7/23/07 3:10:22AM
Wow! The idiocy in this thread is astounding. Only a few people who actually knew what they were talking about. So many discredit Lee because they have only seen his films.

To the idiot that thinks Bruce Lee never fought - Bruce had DOZENS of street fights in Hong Kong. Why do you think he was so well rounded, he realizes the importance of a ground game because he had been in a lot of fights that went to the ground. He also started to study Wing Chun as a teenager and HAD NEVER LOST A FIGHT SINCE. He had plenty of challenge matches (even one guy who hopped the fence into his yard, Bruce kicked his ass especially hard because he was pissed someone would invade his home).

To the idiot that thinks Jet Li, Jackie Chan, or any other "movie" fighter could beat Lee - this is laughable. Ask them if they think they could have taken Lee, they will tell you Lee would would have taken their life in 0.1 seconds.

Now to the main matter - Bruce even standing a chance. This is funny. BRUCE WOULD KILL ANYONE IN ANY WEIGHT CLASS. How the f--k do you fight someone when you are knocked out before you see your opponent throw an attack. Bruce WAS SO FAST YOU COULD NOT SEE HIS PUNCHES OR KICKS. Seriously people, watch his slow-motion training footage (youtube), it looks like its in fast forward!!! In his movies he moves VERY SLOWLY because the frame rate of film is only 24 frames per second. Bruce Lee's punches were in the hundrenth of a second range. His kicks close to that. And his power- he could knock 200+ pound men backwards from ONE INCH. What do you think he would do to someone with full range of a punch or kick!?

Does anyone with a non-retarded brain thinks Bruce would not kick or punch his opponent's face into oblivion (multiple times at that) if they shot in on him. NO ONE is anywhere near as fast or powerful as Bruce was, regardless of size. Not to mention, he did have a fairly evolved ground game (sub, sub defense, wrestling and control, etc.) The main reason he didn't focus on it, is because JKD is for "real fighting". A fight shouldn't last for more then a few seconds, so it wouldn't really get to the ground, if it did, not for long.

And for the record his weight fluctuated between 120-140 pounds. And he had less then 1% body fat.

The question should be...would anyone even stand a chance against Bruce? The answer is no.

nWo
8/13/07 3:33:59PM

Posted by LHK

Wow! The idiocy in this thread is astounding. Only a few people who actually knew what they were talking about. So many discredit Lee because they have only seen his films.

To the idiot that thinks Bruce Lee never fought - Bruce had DOZENS of street fights in Hong Kong. Why do you think he was so well rounded, he realizes the importance of a ground game because he had been in a lot of fights that went to the ground. He also started to study Wing Chun as a teenager and HAD NEVER LOST A FIGHT SINCE. He had plenty of challenge matches (even one guy who hopped the fence into his yard, Bruce kicked his ass especially hard because he was pissed someone would invade his home).

To the idiot that thinks Jet Li, Jackie Chan, or any other "movie" fighter could beat Lee - this is laughable. Ask them if they think they could have taken Lee, they will tell you Lee would would have taken their life in 0.1 seconds.

Now to the main matter - Bruce even standing a chance. This is funny. BRUCE WOULD KILL ANYONE IN ANY WEIGHT CLASS. How the f--k do you fight someone when you are knocked out before you see your opponent throw an attack. Bruce WAS SO FAST YOU COULD NOT SEE HIS PUNCHES OR KICKS. Seriously people, watch his slow-motion training footage (youtube), it looks like its in fast forward!!! In his movies he moves VERY SLOWLY because the frame rate of film is only 24 frames per second. Bruce Lee's punches were in the hundrenth of a second range. His kicks close to that. And his power- he could knock 200+ pound men backwards from ONE INCH. What do you think he would do to someone with full range of a punch or kick!?

Does anyone with a non-retarded brain thinks Bruce would not kick or punch his opponent's face into oblivion (multiple times at that) if they shot in on him. NO ONE is anywhere near as fast or powerful as Bruce was, regardless of size. Not to mention, he did have a fairly evolved ground game (sub, sub defense, wrestling and control, etc.) The main reason he didn't focus on it, is because JKD is for "real fighting". A fight shouldn't last for more then a few seconds, so it wouldn't really get to the ground, if it did, not for long.

And for the record his weight fluctuated between 120-140 pounds. And he had less then 1% body fat.

The question should be...would anyone even stand a chance against Bruce? The answer is no.

they know he is the pinnacle of martial arts movies
THE BIG SHOW
if they discredit him
who would go see there movies?
Jackelope
8/13/07 4:30:16PM
Wow.. I'm surprised how this debate has gone on.

First of all- Even in Wing Chun there is the training of Chin Na techniques. Which is essentially grappling techniques. I'm not saying that Chin Na techniques are superior or even close to those of BJJ techniques, but the fact that Chin Na along with Judo and Aikido and any other range of styles shows you that the idea of finishing your fight on the ground or by takedown/takedown defense was thought of long in the history of fighting masters. I'm no Bruce Lee expert, but I think it's a fair assumption to say that he definitely considered a ground game as a weakness to be worked on. Therefore he would either develop a good defense vs. the takedown or he would adapt and learn his own ground game a la Chin Na type techniques on the ground.

There are also plenty of MMA fighters who have made a career out of avoiding a fight on the ground. Chuck Liddell, Mirko "CroCop" Filopovic to name a few GREATS who have made a career in this manner. Also, whoever brought up the GSP vs. Hughes #2 fight earlier made an excellent point in proving how a well conceived and executed striking game can neutralize the takedown and frustrate an opponent.

So, in the end my point is pretty much this- Fighting is an ever evolving sport where one side of the coin may have an advantage at one point, but the next time you turn around it may be different. Bruce Lee was the kind of person who put his heart and soul into his training, broke his back with his work ethic (Some think quite literally he did) and on top of that was a very intelligent person. It is my opinion that were he to fight in today's sport he would attack it just as much physically as he would mentally. Therefore, he would not fight under prepared and any problems he encountered he would adapt to.

Would he be undefeated? Hard to say. Would he be a worthwhile competitor? I think without a doubt.

mrsmiley
8/13/07 5:26:54PM
Well i'm coming into this discussion rather late,and maybe some of the things i'm saying have already been posted,but I may as well give my two cents on the discussion.
While i've read articles and such about supposed fights Lee had during his life and herd about miraculous feats he could accomplish,all of this I have read.I never saw a video of Lee doing anything I was ever really overly impressed with.I herd rumors of street fights and so forth,but never saw any concrete evidence to support much, if any of it. To be honest,I find more to acredit Rickson Gracie as the worlds number one Jujitsu expert than I do to acredit Bruce Lee as a a legitimate street fighter.And not all of the stories i've herd about Lee's street fights were good either.

I do know a few things though to support Lee.I herd he started studying the grappling arts intensley after Gene Lebelle supposedly humbled him in sparring bouts between the two.So if this is accurate,Lee took notice of wrestling,but apparently left it out of his movies because he was afraid movie audiences wouldn't understand it,or would find it boring.

I think Lee was a revolutionary in the martial arts.He made it main stream in america through the power of cinema,and got a lot of people kicking their feet in the air.Including MMA legends such as Bas Rutten.However,I belive Lee's legend has been deluted with too much BS, and what the man actualy tought and stood for has been forever tarnished in part,by BS martial artist who tried make a quick buck by conning people to belive in secret techniques,or that certain techniques and katas will save you in a street fight,when in fact they had a strong spiritual meaning behind them.I belive if you watch Lee's movies and I mean actualy watch them,you will eventualy get passed all the nonsense a good portion of the public belives in and you will be treated to some amazing insight into the philosophy of martial arts.I think if people could apply this to many martial arts legends and quit thinking of them as unbeatable gods,our appreciation for Martial Arts would be much greater and much deeper.

I think if Lee was alive today he would admit himself,that the fighters we see in a cage would beat him no doubt.However,I think Lee would be quick to point out the possible scenario that would involve one of these elite fighters at gun point.What would these guys do then?
What if the opponent bit them when they attempted an armbar?
What if multiple opponents were involved?

I think alot of perceptions of what Bruce would say about this are quite different than what he would actualy say or do.My guess is just as much under ridicule or speculation as the next.But it's my beliefe that Lee would not stand a chance against against top competition today if he was put in the cage or the ring.
nWo
9/7/07 9:39:42PM

Posted by mrsmiley

I think Lee was a revolutionary in the martial arts.He made it main stream in america through the power of cinema,and got a lot of people kicking their feet in the air.Including MMA legends such as Bas Rutten.

NICE SPIN
Bas isnt from America
Stickan
9/7/07 10:12:00PM

Posted by LHK

As usual you're fast to call everybody else idiots when you're the one jumping to conclusions when there are none.

You believe everything you read about Bruce Lee without hesitation? Tank Abbot has many street fights... is he the king of MMA?

We can't know for sure if Lee would be successful in MMA or not. It's impossible.
I don't think he would have any success without modern MMA training. I've just not seen anything that leads me to believe he'd beat any top MMA fighters of today.
Please LHK, if you have some FACTS to support your certainty of Lees success, please share.
Pitbull09
9/7/07 10:25:36PM
Bruce Lee was only around 130 pounds, he shouldnt fight light heavyweights. Plus, his fight style encouraged biting and other things that arnt allowed in MMA. I think he could hold his own though in his weight class./
sakurabaforever
9/8/07 3:18:04AM
Hmm...this is a question of physics. I have to agree with LHK on the speed factor. Bruce was the fastest martial artist ever captured on film (not in movies, training and tournament footage and the like). And he had devastating power. Think Kid Yamamoto X 10. Unbelievable speed and power. I do believe just from watching the training footage no one could hang with him.

Here's my post from the greatest of the greatest thread to those who don't know much about Bruce. -

Bruce Lee did win the 1958 HK Boxing Championship, winning all the preliminaries in the first round by KO. He defeated the 3-time champ in the 3rd round. Bruce Lee trained mostly in Wing Chun, and not boxing, and this was at age 18, many years before he developed JKD. Not bad for an 18-year old kid (can you imagine how good he was at 32 after serious training!?)

People Lee could destroy in mere seconds (and has in training or tournament demo, the reason they all wanted to learn from him):

Chuck Norris - Professional World Middleweight Karate Champion, holding the title undefeated until he retired in 1974. He is a black belt in Tang Soo Do and Tae Kwan Do. In 1969, he earned the Triple Crown for the highest number of tournament wins.

Joe Lewis - World Heavyweight Kickboxing Champion, World Heavyweight Karate Champion (keep in mind Lee weighed between 120-140 lbs).

Hayward Nishioka - Pan American Gold medal winner in judo

Vic Moore - 4 time world Karate champ (including wins over Bill Wallace and Joe Lewis).

There are more, but I think I proved my point. Yes a lot of these guys are american, but they are WORLD CHAMPIONS, competing against anyone that was good enough. Bruce Lee didn't need to enter tournaments to prove himself, he embarrassed enough World Champions in different styles, they all knew he was for real, I don't think he cared what movie go-ers thought about him only being an actor.

If you don't understand how large the skill gap was between Lee and everyone else (that competed on the world stage...sure even now there are probably guys training in small villages all over the world who might be able to school Fedor or whoever), and I don't know what to say. Jordan, Gretzky, or any other sports great could not completely destroy other top players. They were arguably better, but not by an insane margin.

---

And the point about the street fights doesn't matter anyway, since we are talking about JKD Bruce, not before he developed it, and he lost a bunch of street fights anyway (only before his Wing Chun training though).

So simple physics would dictate that Lee would annihilate anyone that stepped into the ring/octagon with him. He was just too damn fast. CC's striking is no where near where Bruce Lee's was and look how successful he is. There is just no doubt that Bruce would not only compete but dominate in his weight class, and probably all of them (call me all the names you want, but you just can't catch a guy that fast).
Svartorm
9/8/07 3:34:31AM
Good post. I'm sure he could level a good chunk of fighters, and probably Mayweather the others by jabbing and never getting hit due to the speed. A guy that reflexively fast is next to impossible to hit. Just watch a Muhammad Ali fight and figure Bruce was the lightweight, and therefore faster, version of that.
cowcatcher
9/8/07 4:20:09AM

Posted by sakurabaforever

Hmm...this is a question of physics. I have to agree with LHK on the speed factor. Bruce was the fastest martial artist ever captured on film (not in movies, training and tournament footage and the like). And he had devastating power. Think Kid Yamamoto X 10. Unbelievable speed and power. I do believe just from watching the training footage no one could hang with him.

Here's my post from the greatest of the greatest thread to those who don't know much about Bruce. -

Bruce Lee did win the 1958 HK Boxing Championship, winning all the preliminaries in the first round by KO. He defeated the 3-time champ in the 3rd round. Bruce Lee trained mostly in Wing Chun, and not boxing, and this was at age 18, many years before he developed JKD. Not bad for an 18-year old kid (can you imagine how good he was at 32 after serious training!?)

People Lee could destroy in mere seconds (and has in training or tournament demo, the reason they all wanted to learn from him):

Chuck Norris - Professional World Middleweight Karate Champion, holding the title undefeated until he retired in 1974. He is a black belt in Tang Soo Do and Tae Kwan Do. In 1969, he earned the Triple Crown for the highest number of tournament wins.

Joe Lewis - World Heavyweight Kickboxing Champion, World Heavyweight Karate Champion (keep in mind Lee weighed between 120-140 lbs).

Hayward Nishioka - Pan American Gold medal winner in judo

Vic Moore - 4 time world Karate champ (including wins over Bill Wallace and Joe Lewis).

There are more, but I think I proved my point. Yes a lot of these guys are american, but they are WORLD CHAMPIONS, competing against anyone that was good enough. Bruce Lee didn't need to enter tournaments to prove himself, he embarrassed enough World Champions in different styles, they all knew he was for real, I don't think he cared what movie go-ers thought about him only being an actor.

If you don't understand how large the skill gap was between Lee and everyone else (that competed on the world stage...sure even now there are probably guys training in small villages all over the world who might be able to school Fedor or whoever), and I don't know what to say. Jordan, Gretzky, or any other sports great could not completely destroy other top players. They were arguably better, but not by an insane margin.

---

And the point about the street fights doesn't matter anyway, since we are talking about JKD Bruce, not before he developed it, and he lost a bunch of street fights anyway (only before his Wing Chun training though).

So simple physics would dictate that Lee would annihilate anyone that stepped into the ring/octagon with him. He was just too damn fast. CC's striking is no where near where Bruce Lee's was and look how successful he is. There is just no doubt that Bruce would not only compete but dominate in his weight class, and probably all of them (call me all the names you want, but you just can't catch a guy that fast).

i respect what you posted and you have some great points, but to say that he competed against anyone that was good enough is waaaay off. china in the 70's was very much an isolated country that had some great martial artists that werent allowed or chose not to compete in tourneys. they were good enough but couldnt, and lee was basically a defector. the guy was unbelievably talented and way ahead of the curve, but if you put him then against kid now kid would destroy him IMO. granted had lee trained modern mma it could very well be a different story, but him then against top guys now wouldnt always favor him no matter how good he was. its a tough comparison to make when the mma game is so different than it was then with only east and west being involved and south america and africa not being a major part of the equation.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6